Which Type of Cat Carrier is Best?

Old September 3rd 05, 06:01 PM
Ruby Tuesday

Default Which Type of Cat Carrier is Best?

I like the plastic crate because it's sturdy, but I just saw one that's made
of sturdy fabric which is cheaper, and hangs over the shoulder. It's nice
in colour, and because space is limited I can just fold it wherever I want.

But I think maybe I should go with the crate because when I take Mico to the
vet, they're gonna hafta sedate him to get him to co-operate, and it might
be easier to get a pill disguised as food through the crate bars, rather
than through the bag's netting. Suggestions anybody?

Thanks in advance,

- Ruby Tuesday

Old September 3rd 05, 06:53 PM
MaryL

"Ruby Tuesday" wrote in message
I like the plastic crate because it's sturdy, but I just saw one that's
made
of sturdy fabric which is cheaper, and hangs over the shoulder. It's
nice
in colour, and because space is limited I can just fold it wherever I
want.

But I think maybe I should go with the crate because when I take Mico to
the
vet, they're gonna hafta sedate him to get him to co-operate, and it might
be easier to get a pill disguised as food through the crate bars, rather
than through the bag's netting. Suggestions anybody?

Thanks in advance,

- Ruby Tuesday

I have used both, and I prefer the fabric with netting -- easier to
transport and store, lighter to handle. I have never had a need to slip a
tranquilizer in disguised as food (as you described it), but I would think
that you could unzip the fabric carrier just enough to insert the food. The
one I have can unzip either from the top or from the end, and each "system"
has two zippers. The two zippers mean that you could use both zippers and
have them meet in the middle, or you could use one zipper all the way
around -- thus making it easier to slip in food at the bottom of the
carrier. Incidentally, I'm dubious about whether this will work with
*either* type of crate. If Mico is that nervous or agitated, I would expect
that he will not be in any mood to eat.

MaryL

Old September 3rd 05, 07:33 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Ruby Tuesday" wrote in message
I like the plastic crate because it's sturdy, but I just saw one that's
made
of sturdy fabric which is cheaper, and hangs over the shoulder. It's
nice
in colour, and because space is limited I can just fold it wherever I
want.

But I think maybe I should go with the crate because when I take Mico to
the
vet, they're gonna hafta sedate him to get him to co-operate, and it might
be easier to get a pill disguised as food through the crate bars, rather
than through the bag's netting. Suggestions anybody?

Thanks in advance,

- Ruby Tuesday

I have both types at home. I don't drive so when I take both cats to the
vet at the same time, using two of the hard plastic carriers was impossible.
The soft carrier I have (Sherpa) cost a fortune - literally 5X what a plain
hard case costs! If you're going to be driving, the hard case might be
better. My Sherpa bag, since it's soft, does tend to sag while the cat is
inside. The cat doesn't seem to mind, but might feel more comfortable in
the hard case. Also, one of my cats loves to sleep in the hard case, so I
leave it out all the time.

--
Liz

Old September 3rd 05, 08:01 PM
MaryL

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

The one I have has a rigid vinyl-covered board to place inside. That
prevents any sagging. This one came from WalMart and is available in 2 or 3
sizes.

MaryL

Old September 4th 05, 12:57 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
I have both types at home. I don't drive so when I take both cats to the
vet at the same time, using two of the hard plastic carriers was
impossible. The soft carrier I have (Sherpa) cost a fortune - literally
5X what a plain hard case costs! If you're going to be driving, the hard
case might be better. My Sherpa bag, since it's soft, does tend to sag
while the cat is inside. The cat doesn't seem to mind, but might feel
more comfortable in the hard case. Also, one of my cats loves to sleep
in the hard case, so I leave it out all the time.

--
Liz

The one I have has a rigid vinyl-covered board to place inside. That
prevents any sagging. This one came from WalMart and is available in 2 or
3 sizes.

MaryL

The Sherpa Bag also has a board in the bottom (I don't think it comes out)
but it doesn't stop the top from drooping down onto the cat, which causes
both ends to kind of angle in. It's not a big deal and overall I really
like the bag. I brought Harriet home from work in it yesterday and she
didn't complain. I'd buy a second soft carrier if I could find a cheaper,
generic version. There's no WalMart here.

--
Liz

Old September 4th 05, 02:34 AM
5cats

Ruby Tuesday wrote:

I like the plastic crate because it's sturdy, but I just saw one
that's made of sturdy fabric which is cheaper, and hangs over the
shoulder. It's nice in colour, and because space is limited I can
just fold it wherever I want.

But I think maybe I should go with the crate because when I take Mico
to the vet, they're gonna hafta sedate him to get him to co-operate,
and it might be easier to get a pill disguised as food through the
crate bars, rather than through the bag's netting. Suggestions
anybody?

Thanks in advance,

- Ruby Tuesday

One point in favor of the hard plastic carriers is that they can also
double as a pet bed. I leave the carriers out and have purr pads or
fleece covered foam cushions in them and the cats use them for napping
all the time. And since the cats sleep in the carriers, they don't spook
at the sight of a carrier when it's time to go to the vet.

Old September 4th 05, 03:02 AM
Trish

"Diane" wrote in message
In article et,
"Elizabeth Blake" wrote:

The Sherpa Bag also has a board in the bottom (I don't think it

comes out)

Yes, it does, and it's also washable. I love it. Hodge seems to, too.
Droop and all.
--
Web site: http://www.slywy.com/
Message board: http://www.slywy.com/phpBB2/

I have two of the material carriers that look like tote bags + one
plastic one (which will soon be replaced by another material carrier), I
had the plastic ones but Peepers headbutted the doors til they broke.
The thing I like about the material ones is that you can open the top
and put your cat in that way, its much easier than trying to get them in
through a side opening. Also, when letting them out of the carrier I
just open the end and they come out quickly, all three of my cats seem
to prefer the material carriers. They settle in much quicker.

Old September 4th 05, 10:43 AM
Phil P.

"Ruby Tuesday" wrote in message
I like the plastic crate because it's sturdy, but I just saw one that's

made
of sturdy fabric which is cheaper, and hangs over the shoulder. It's

nice
in colour, and because space is limited I can just fold it wherever I

want.

But I think maybe I should go with the crate because when I take Mico to

the
vet, they're gonna hafta sedate him to get him to co-operate, and it might
be easier to get a pill disguised as food through the crate bars, rather
than through the bag's netting. Suggestions anybody?

If you'll be transporting your cat by car get the hard fiberglass carrier,
it provides more protection for your cat in the event of an accident.
Fiberglass carriers are also easier to disinfect and keep dry.

Phil.

Old September 4th 05, 11:15 PM
Barb from before

Supposedly the hard crate is more comfortable for the cat but I also
sometimes use a black, soft over the shoulder type which can pass for a
pocketbook if I want to travel and sneak the cat in somewhere with me.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old September 6th 05, 08:49 PM
Wendy

"Ruby Tuesday" wrote in message
I like the plastic crate because it's sturdy, but I just saw one that's
made
of sturdy fabric which is cheaper, and hangs over the shoulder. It's
nice
in colour, and because space is limited I can just fold it wherever I
want.

But I think maybe I should go with the crate because when I take Mico to
the
vet, they're gonna hafta sedate him to get him to co-operate, and it might
be easier to get a pill disguised as food through the crate bars, rather
than through the bag's netting. Suggestions anybody?

Thanks in advance,

- Ruby Tuesday

I use the hard carrier with the front and top opening. Some cats prefer to
walk into the carrier, others are a little tougher to get in there and
that's where the top door is handy. I also have had cats who seem to feel
less claustrophobic in the carriers with the top door. If the cat is sick
it's a lot faster/easier to get them out of a carrier that opens from the
top as well. The only down side is that the 'latches' on the top door have
been known to slide open so extra caution is in order. I haven't tried a
fabric carrier mostly because I haven't found one big and sturdy enough to
carry some of the bigger, heavier cats I transport.