Cat food sample report

Old April 13th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Cat food sample report

Stormmee wrote:
... Vet says no indoor, and as much ash as possible,

Are you sure she said *as much* ash as possible? I think the
recommendation is generally *as little* ash as possible.

Old April 13th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

oops you are correct, I am a moron when I am tired, thanks for correcting
that, Lee

Old April 14th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
We have a PetSmart rewards card or whatever they call it. Today we got
our first ever sample from them, a sample bag of Purina Healthful Life Cat
food.

HUH! I have a PetsMart rewards card and I never get samples!

Of course we had to see if the owners like it. The think it is cat candy.
It is a dry cat food, so some of you will want to stop reading right now
I won't go into the dry/wet cat food debate, it is like arguing with a
tiger, it never changes anyone's minds and just annoys the tiger.

True. I try to feed mine just canned, but they LURVE dry so I give them
that as treats.

Ingredients: Chicken By product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow
corn soybean meal ground wheat (Humm, lots of carbs here), Animal fat
preserved with mixed tocopherols (form of Vitamin E) Salmon meal, salmon,
chicken, powdered cellulose, brewers rice, animal liver flavor, soybean
hulls, malt extract, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, salt, choline
chloride, dried spinach, parsley flakes, dried cranberries, dried carrots,
dried cheese powder, potassium chloride, taurine, added color (red 40,
yellow 6, yellow 5, blue 2) vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous
sulfate, niacin, vitamin a supplement, calcium supplement, thiamine
mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B-12
supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin D-3 supplement,
calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of
vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Guaranteed analysis:\

Crude protein (min) 36.0%
Crude fat (min) 13.0%
Crude fiber (max) 6.0%
Moisture (max) 12.0%
Calcium (CA) (min) 1.1%
Phosphorus (P) (min) 1.0%
Vitamin A (min) 12000 IU/KG
Vitamin E (min) 75 IU/KG
Taurine (min) 0.125%

website @ www.healthfullife.com

Well gang, what do you think? The cats love it, we're currently feeding
Purina Indoor Cat, and will need to buy more food at the beginning of the
month. I would really appreciate your opinions.

I'm not sure about the nutritional values, the best site I know of about cat
nutrition is Phil P's: http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm.

But one thing to note - for the foods that can be gotten there, Wal-Mart is
MUCH cheaper than PetsMart (here Fancy Feast is $0.46/can regular price at
Wal-Mart and $0.62/can regular price at PetsMart (but $0.50 with a PetsMart
card)).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Pam S.

Old April 16th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I won't buy Purina products anyway - google "nestle boycott" for why.
With all due respect to your opinion and research....and it is evident
you know a lot more than I do re ingredients harmful to cats....I concur
to your comments for validity and accuracy re the catfood itself.
However, the tail end of your boycott 411 - as I always post: to each
his own and all opinions are worthy on any given topic. However, I *did*
google extensively Nestle boycott and since no reference to Purina I can
only conclude that Nestle has "gobbled up" (taken over/bought out)
Purina pet foods.

They have. Two or three years ago, I think. Purina tins in the UK
now have Nestle's name on in small print.

Over and over the links for this boycott have NO mention of pet
poisonings....only their "underhanded" attempts to market their
hoomin baby milk in 3rd world countries

They've done that anywhere they can get away with it. Theye were
doing it in Scotland ten years ago. The reason they're mainly
doing it in the third world now is that that's the main place where
governments can be bought or coerced into letting them do it.

by handing out free samples (which the natives f***ed up bigtime by
watering it down, and resulting in the natives' breast milk drying
up and bingo... then forced to buy their product!!!

That's exactly how it works. Breast milk is free, Nestle formula is
expensive, so the mothers don't have much choice once the free samples
have run out. Nestle is operating just "The Old Dope Peddler" in Tom
Lehrer's song:

He gives the kids free samples,
Because he knows full well
That today's young innocent faces
Will be tomorrow's clientele.

except that the infant malnutrition resulting from Nestle's marketing
kills far more people than heroin does.

I've seen the result of that sort of marketing here. A very young
mother on a bus (can't have been more than 14) carrying a desperately
sick-looking baby that was continually crying and reaching for her
breasts. Which had obviously dried up. She was feeding it soft
drink from a bottle. One life completely destroyed at only a few
months.

Second, why would an outfit like Nestle OR Purina market stuff in
countries where they EAT what we call pets

Racist bull****.

and where natives have no funds anyway to buy what would have to be
expensive there locally to feed their babies?

Of course it's expensive for them. So the mothers just have to
starve themselves or the old in their families, sell their land,
get ruinously in debt or take appallingly exploitative jobs to keep
their kids alive. And since there are hundreds of millions of them
it's a nice little earner for Nestle.

this baby milk business has nada to do with my cats

It's got a lot to do with basic morality. You don't assist a corporation
that is killing children in millions by buying their products.

See
http://www.babymilkaction.org
http://boycottnestle.blogspot.com
for more.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old April 16th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

They have. Two or three years ago, I think. Purina tins in the UK
now have Nestle's name on in small print.

I am obviously not keeping up with who's buying whom, as I didn't know
this. That also means that Nestle owns Friskies, which was bought by
Purina a while back. I feed my cats a fancy brand these days, but in a
pinch (such as when I run out of their regular stuff), I'll buy Friskies
because that was never recalled during the poisonings (which I chalked
up to the fact that they are a huge company, and probably did their own
manufacturing). Now I'll have to find another brand to buy in case I'm
out and can't get to the store where they sell the good stuff. (This
doesn't happen much, though - it's only happened once since I started
giving them Wellness brand. It's not really that hard to plan ahead and
make sure I don't run out. )

by handing out free samples (which the natives f***ed up bigtime by
watering it down, and resulting in the natives' breast milk drying
up and bingo... then forced to buy their product!!!

That's exactly how it works. Breast milk is free, Nestle formula is
expensive, so the mothers don't have much choice once the free samples
have run out.

A lot of people don't even know what's killing their babies. They think
they're doing the right thing by giving them Nestle formula, that the
formula is "better" nutritionally for the baby than their own milk,
right to the bitter end. The problem is the lack of sanitation and
contaminated water, which is used to mix the formula. Then the baby
gets severe diarrhea, and dies of dehydration and/or malnutrition.

I remember seeing a film about this quite a few years ago (at least 25
years ago) that showed a box of Nestle formula placed lovingly on a baby's
grave, like the parents believed they had given their baby the best they
could give, and the baby had died in spite of all their sacrifices to
give them the best. That was heartbreaking.

this baby milk business has nada to do with my cats

It's got a lot to do with basic morality. You don't assist a corporation
that is killing children in millions by buying their products.

Besides, a company that doesn't give a damn about babies certainly
isn't going to care about anyone's pets, either. So I wouldn't be too
quick to say "this doesn't have anything to do with me and mine." It's
a false sense of security, IMO.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old April 17th 08, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

This is shaping up to be a cantankerous subject and I will not argue,
visiting this ng for r & r pleasure and having no particular reason
for defending Nestle, Purina, or 3rd world morality...*very* bad mood
tonight

I'm sorry you had a scary, dangerous drive, and I can certainly
understand why that would put you in a bad mood. Springtime in Denver
is evidently nothing to fool around with.

However, when you're not quite as grouchy, you might try reading my
post again. I certainly didn't say anything cantankerous. I was just
agreeing with Jack, and adding my $.02. I didn't hear anyone else
arguing or getting testy on this subject, either. Get a good night's
sleep and call us in the morning!

Old April 17th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

hopitus wrote:

This is shaping up to be a cantankerous subject and I will not argue,
visiting this ng for r & r pleasure and having no particular reason
for
defending Nestle, Purina, or 3rd world morality...*very* bad mood
tonight, having just driven 10 miles to a relative's skidding on icy,
snowy streets (yes, *again*, and yes, it's spring, LOL). and this
drive was quite exciting, considering the rear end of my vehicle
kept trying to pass its front end! So cheers, my friends, and good
wishes from hopitus, who repeats that I don't use their brands of
cat food anyway and these days has more animosity toward Big
Oil and Big Pharm who are more actively trying to do me in than
Nestle or Purina.....

A few years ago, a friend was driving with her 4 year old son in the back of
the car, when she hit a patch of ice the car spun a complete 360 degrees.
She was shaking like a leef and looked in the back to see if her son was OK,
he had a great big grin on his face and said, "do it again mum".
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old April 20th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:11:00 -0700 (PDT), Sherry
wrote:

Can't help you with the nutritional analysis, but I got a sample bag
of it too, and they love it. But of course, they loved the sample bag
of Science Diet Lite, they loved the sample bag of Friskies Dental
Diet. They loved the MaxxCat sample. They just love sample bags. If I
buy a fullsized bag, they
won't eat it.

Sherry

Ain' that the truth. I went through that looking for kitten food when
I first brought Furby home. Went and bought a selection from three
different pet stores. Some were ignored from the beginning, but a
couple seemed to earn the approval of both Princess and Furby. As soon
as I brought more than one can home it turned into inedible junk fit
only for the garbage. About that time the newbies were coming out and
joining the rest of the crew, and of course Little Bit and Spotty, my
two fluffy girls, loved the kitten chow. Rather than fighting a losing
battle I just started feeding than all the regular stuff.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby