Update on the neighbor's little dogs

Old August 23rd 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Update on the neighbor's little dogs

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

An "overabundance of energy" certainly describes these little dogs!

One thing that both puzzles and distresses me is that my neighbor never
calls to check on their welfare. I have called her several times to
give
her reports, but she never makes calls herself. I always call my pet
sitter
every two or three days to check on Holly and Duffy when I go on
vacation,
even though I know they are in good hands and get the best of care.

Well, she is recovering from heart surgery, isn't she? That's a lot to
deal with. Maybe she just doesn't have the wherewithal to initiate calls?

Joyce

--
Basically, I feel like the food industry is making us fat so the diet
industry can make us thin. -- Janet

I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she has a history of
taking advantage of people. Her doctors said she could go home, and she
feels well enough to go shopping, go to movies, etc. At the same time, she
is in Houston (close to her doctors but about 150 miles from home), so she
probably feels more comfortable staying there. So, I understand why she has
not come home in-between appointments but find it hard to understand why she
doesn't inquire about her dogs. She has called several times to have me go
over her mail with her, open the ones that look like bills, and make
arrangements for paying bills that need to be paid. I called her about one
item that looked like a jury summons (and it was), and she called the court
house to make arrangements about that. But no questions about her two
little dogs! On the other hand, she is pleased to hear about them when I
bring it up myself.

MaryL

Old August 23rd 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL wrote:

wrote in message

Well, she is recovering from heart surgery, isn't she? That's a lot to
deal with. Maybe she just doesn't have the wherewithal to initiate calls?

I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she has a history of
taking advantage of people.

I see - I didn't realize that. I can see why you'd be suspicious in that
case.

Her doctors said she could go home, and she
feels well enough to go shopping, go to movies, etc. At the same time, she
is in Houston (close to her doctors but about 150 miles from home), so she
probably feels more comfortable staying there. So, I understand why she has
not come home in-between appointments but find it hard to understand why she
doesn't inquire about her dogs. She has called several times to have me go
over her mail with her, open the ones that look like bills, and make
arrangements for paying bills that need to be paid. I called her about one
item that looked like a jury summons (and it was), and she called the court
house to make arrangements about that. But no questions about her two
little dogs! On the other hand, she is pleased to hear about them when I
bring it up myself.

That is odd. Maybe she trusts you to do a good job taking care of them?

Still, if I were in her place, I'd *have* to know how my cats were doing -
that would be my first question!

Joyce

Old August 23rd 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Aug 23, 11:18*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
wrote in message

MaryL wrote:

[...]

Maybe she _knows_ beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they are in good
hands with you. So she enjoys hearing about them but has no anxiety
for them.

--
Will in New Haven
Old August 23rd 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote:
wrote in message

MaryL wrote:

[...]

Yes, I'm sure that is true. I'm not trying to exaggerate anything. The
little dogs are healthy and get good veterinary care, but I find it
difficult to comprehend how anyone would turn their pets over for a month
and not at least ask some questions--or even say something about missing
them.

MaryL

Old August 25th 10, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"hopitus" wrote in message
"Will in New Haven" wrote in
wrote:

wrote in message

MaryL wrote:

[...]

Please understand that I have greatest admiration for you doing these
things for
such a length of time to help neighbor. I would have hired a teen brat
from your
'hood long ago to throw mini hot dogs to the beasts, plus tiny balls,
instead of
doggedly (forgive the reference) plugging along myself with all it
entails. I am
offering an nformative link re several types cardiac valve
replacements. Note the
possible max recovery time "several months".
I forgot how old neighbor is, but her inattention to her pets IMHO is
grossly
understandable due to her age, gravity of surgery, proximity of her
relatives
to *where she is nw*, and yes, last, her habit of taking advantage of
people.
I don't like dogs, period, especially small, yappy, hyper types so
favored by
Tinseltown celebs. Neighbor's dogs sound to me like a PITA. As stated
in
a former post.....not enough $$ to pay me to nurse little dogs. I
understand
Akitas, that's the only kind. Loyal, protective of owner, and quiet.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, it's a serious procedure. She also had a pacemaker implanted a few
days later. This is her second heart valve replacement. The first one was
done when she was only 24, and she is now about 55. She looks much younger,
but also has some other serious issues--either is or has been a drug
(prescription) abuser and either an alcoholic or close to it. She will soon
need to have someone to take over for me because I will be going on vacation
Sept. 1. Of course, she knows that and supposedly will make arrangements.
I'll check with her mother to make sure of that.

MaryL

Old August 25th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Aug 23, 3:36 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
"Will in New Haven" wrote in
wrote:

wrote in message

MaryL wrote:

[...]

That's because you've never known a Golden Retriever. Goldens are absolute
sweethearts! My sister had two, but lost one recently. The whole family is
still grieving, including the remaining Golden.

Joy

Old August 25th 10, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Aug 23, 3:36 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
"Will in New Haven" wrote in
wrote:

wrote in message

MaryL wrote:

[...]

The part about the dogs being PITA was not mine. I have had cats ever since
I left for graduate school (eons ago), but I grew up with dogs and loved
them. We had collies--the Lassie-type--and they were absolutely wonderful
family pets. My sister and her husband had a golden retriever. Again, like
you said, he was a sweetheart.

MaryL

Old August 25th 10, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

MaryL wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

"hopitus" wrote in message

On Aug 23, 3:36 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
"Will in New Haven" wrote in

wrote:

wrote in message

MaryL wrote:

[...]

Mary, I'd like to tell you about my experiences taking care of two
neighbors cats, but it is too long and involved. Let me assure you,
your satisfaction will come that you took good care of the animals. In
the long run, both of my neighbors really did not even bother to say
they appreciated my efforts. One neighbor asked me to "tend" for 3
weeks -- she was gone 3 months. The other said "a few days" and she
was gone for 6 weeks. I did love the animals and I did take good care
of them. MLB
Old August 25th 10, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"MLB" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

Mary, I'd like to tell you about my experiences taking care of two
neighbors cats, but it is too long and involved. Let me assure you, your
satisfaction will come that you took good care of the animals. In the long
run, both of my neighbors really did not even bother to say they
appreciated my efforts. One neighbor asked me to "tend" for 3 weeks --
she was gone 3 months. The other said "a few days" and she was gone for
6 weeks. I did love the animals and I did take good care of them. MLB

Yes, this has a familiar ring to it. As you said, I know the satisfaction
will come simply in knowing that the dogs got good care. This really is not
a difficult task at all--just a longer-term obligation than expected, but
I'm glad I was able to do it.

MaryL

Old August 26th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message
[...]

Why not offer to drive the dogs to where she is staying? Or ask her to
send someone up to get them? It sure sounds like she's taking advantage of
your kindness to me.
--

That would be impossible. She could not keep dogs where she is staying.
They are probably better off staying in their own home with a large yard,

MaryL