Cat food sample report

Old April 13th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Cat food sample report

We have a PetSmart rewards card or whatever they call it. Today we got our
first ever sample from them, a sample bag of Purina Healthful Life Cat food.
Of course we had to see if the owners like it. The think it is cat candy.
It is a dry cat food, so some of you will want to stop reading right now I
won't go into the dry/wet cat food debate, it is like arguing with a tiger,
it never changes anyone's minds and just annoys the tiger.

Ingredients: Chicken By product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn
soybean meal ground wheat (Humm, lots of carbs here), Animal fat preserved
with mixed tocopherols (form of Vitamin E) Salmon meal, salmon, chicken,
powdered cellulose, brewers rice, animal liver flavor, soybean hulls, malt
extract, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, salt, choline chloride, dried
spinach, parsley flakes, dried cranberries, dried carrots, dried cheese
powder, potassium chloride, taurine, added color (red 40, yellow 6, yellow
5, blue 2) vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin,
vitamin a supplement, calcium supplement, thiamine mononitrate, copper
sulfate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine
hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin,
menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), sodium
selenite.

Guaranteed analysis:\

Crude protein (min) 36.0%
Crude fat (min) 13.0%
Crude fiber (max) 6.0%
Moisture (max) 12.0%
Calcium (CA) (min) 1.1%
Phosphorus (P) (min) 1.0%
Vitamin A (min) 12000 IU/KG
Vitamin E (min) 75 IU/KG
Taurine (min) 0.125%

website @ www.healthfullife.com

Well gang, what do you think? The cats love it, we're currently feeding
Purina Indoor Cat, and will need to buy more food at the beginning of the
month. I would really appreciate your opinions.

Pam S.

Old April 13th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 12, 6:44*pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
[...]

Can't help you with the nutritional analysis, but I got a sample bag
of it too, and they love it. But of course, they loved the sample bag
of Science Diet Lite, they loved the sample bag of Friskies Dental
Diet. They loved the MaxxCat sample. They just love sample bags. If I
buy a fullsized bag, they
won't eat it.

Sherry
Old April 13th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=

"tanadashoes"
[...]

We bought a small 'sample bag' for $1.49 and all 3 of the dryfood eating
cats got nuts over it. We've been feeding them the Friskies Indoor Chow,
which they used to really love, and the Feline Favorites (Friskies) as
well, and they've become addicted to the Purina Healthful Life . I mix the
new one in with the old ones.

Kyla
--it's 5 pm near Seattle and 75 degrees out.

Old April 13th 08, 09:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Well gang, what do you think? *The cats love it, we're currently feeding
Purina Indoor Cat, and will need to buy more food at the beginning of the
month. *I would really appreciate your opinions.

Pam S.

Personally, it's waaaay too much corn content in the first 3
ingredients for me to feed it to mine. I'm also leary about the
Chicken By-product meal, rather than it being muscle meat as a first
ingredient. Compare it with "Royal Canin Sensible 33" first 3
ingredients;

Dehydrated poultry meat (Muscle meat), rice, animal fats,

Mine love the "junk" food too, but the high cereal content IME leads
to smellier poops and more barfing.

Having said that, my grans cat eats Purina and she's full of health
and vigour at 12 years old.

Helen M

Old April 13th 08, 10:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

We have a PetSmart rewards card or whatever they call it. Today we
got our first ever sample from them, a sample bag of Purina Healthful
Life Cat food.

[...]
Ingredients: Chicken By product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow
corn soybean meal ground wheat (Humm, lots of carbs here), [...]

Also both the soy and wheat are potential allergens. The wheat would
rule it out for us - Splodge is severely intolerant to it.

added color (red 40, yellow 6, yellow 5, blue 2)

Bloody hell, why??? This has to be for the humans' benefit. They're
all potentially toxic.

Well gang, what do you think?

I won't buy Purina products anyway - google "nestle boycott" for why.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old April 13th 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Somewhere, I read some articles about the indoor formula. When I asked my
vet he said not to feed the indoor formula. I will go digging and see if I
can find the articles I had. I do remember that part of the conversation
had to do with the ingredients, too much this and that. Lee, do you
remember any of this.

Old April 13th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

when Tiger got his first blockage the Purina indoor or Purina one had just
come out, the first words out of my vets mouth were did you feed him
Purina... I think it was indoor, I said no she breathed a sigh of relief and
said good, she had seen a serious up in male cat blockages since it had
arrived on the market, oddly he had been on wellness and the other five cats
in the house were doing fabulously on it, but it makes my Tiger very ill,
.... Vet says no indoor, and as much ash as possible, also she had issues
with the dyes... Having said that she also said, but YOU eat McDonald's once
in a while so giving it as a treat once in a while won't hurt, but she would
rather it not be the Purina one or indoor. the memories of this are a
couple of years old, so old in fact that the store where I bought the dry
wellness is now a shoe store, Lee

Old April 13th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

tanadashoes wrote:
Ingredients:
Chicken By product meal,

First red flag, IMO. I avoid foods with by-products altogether.

corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn

Second red flag. If they added these two together, I'm sure corn would
have to be listed as the #1 ingredient. Do you really want to feed your
cats food that is made primarily of corn? They are carnivores!

soybean meal ground wheat (Humm, lots of carbs here), Animal fat preserved

Ok, so of the first 5 ingredients only one is meat (or a meat-like
product)? Not good for cats.

Well gang, what do you think? The cats love it, we're currently feeding
Purina Indoor Cat, and will need to buy more food at the beginning of the
month. I would really appreciate your opinions.

Not a good food.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he