I don't think this is a fluke

Old June 4th 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default I don't think this is a fluke

Shamrock is a very rambunctious cat. He often uses teeth and claws when
he feels playful. I just had a weird thought tonight to try to teach
him to tuck in his claws. I was petting him and he gets overstimulated
easily and as soon as he turned on me, rather than ignore him like I
usually do, I showed him my own tucked in claws and pet him again with
my fingernails tucked under (think fist, but not meant to hit). While I
petted him this way, I said to him, no claws. After a minute I really
think he got the idea because he reached for my hand with both paws and
grabbed it, but his claws were tucked. At first I thought, no, he
didn't understand me. But I continued, and he goofed up a couple more
times but when I reinforced the "no claws" directive and tucked in my
fingernails to pet him, he again grabbed my hand but without claws.
What?? Can it be for real or am I imagining this?

As another example, a few meals and Scarlett turns her nose up at the
food offered, and I say to her, "quit being picky and eat your food" and
she goes back to the bowl and eats.
Old June 4th 11, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Cheryl wrote
[...]

I think they do understand us and want to please us. Same goes for rabbit
pets, I am finding out....

Mickey never uses claws on us even when he gets overstimulated. Since he
found us when he was very very small, his mommy must have taught him about
"no claws".

As to finicky eating, today Baby Eyes has been demanding something I don't
know about. She has had her choice of five varieties of gooshy and three of
kibble today, and still seems to want something different.

Old June 4th 11, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Jun 3, 9:35*pm, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Imp does this when he gets over stimulated...it's sort of a "I love
your scritches SOOOO much that I'm gonna flop over, grab your hand and
nip it HARD"

when he was a kitten I tried to tell him NO or better yet, I HISSED at
him to show my discomfort. The first time I did, he pulled back his
paws and looked at me with wide eyes..Meowmie can HISS?

he still does it, but at least he doesn't try to shred my hand with
his back feet. But it's a really painful way to wake up when a cat
you are petting while half asleep suddenly turns into SEARING PAIN!

Kristi
Old June 4th 11, 09:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Pat" wrote in message

...today Baby Eyes has been demanding something I don't know
about. She has had her choice of five varieties of gooshy and
three of kibble today, and still seems to want something
different.

Baby Eyes may have a dental problem.

Mrs Cat (RB 2007) began similar behaviour when she developed jaw
cancer. Basically, I believe it was painful when she tried to
eat. She wasn't "off" her food, she wanted to eat - but "perhaps
a different food may not hurt so much" could have been the way
she was thinking.

--
MatSav

Old June 4th 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"MatSav" wrote

Baby Eyes may have a dental problem.

Mrs Cat (RB 2007) began similar behaviour when she developed jaw cancer.
Basically, I believe it was painful when she tried to eat. She wasn't
"off" her food, she wanted to eat - but "perhaps a different food may not
hurt so much" could have been the way she was thinking.

She was at the vet for a dental exam and cleaning a few months ago (March,
IIRC) and got a clean bill of health.... She has no trouble eating, believe
me! She eats like a little horse.

Old June 5th 11, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 10:35 pm, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

I really do believe our cats can understand a few simple words, just
as toddlers
and human babies do. Mine knows, "breakfast", "no", "be good
boy" (meaning no
biting) and "water bottle" LOL his nemesis. He knows also the sight of
the cat claw
clippers, which I hide in my hand prior to deck time claw trimmings.

***

When I'm preparing a meal, and at bedtime, I give my cats (if they come into
the kitchen, which they usually do) a few "treats" - actually bits of
less-healthy dry catfood than their usual diet. They used to try to scam me
by begging for more when they'd only eaten a couple of what I'd given them.
I'd tell them, "No more until you eat what's there." One or both would
immediately start eating what was on the floor. Now, they automatically
clean up before asking for more.

Joy

Old June 6th 11, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it's for real - Boyfriend continually amazes me about how intelligent
he is.
Tweed