The coleus, the pee, and Scooter

Old November 26th 15, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default The coleus, the pee, and Scooter

Three days ago I came home to find that someone had thrown up at least
six times, all over two rugs. I cleaned it up as best I could, and
tried to guess who was responsible.

I woke up two days ago, petted the three cats on the bed, and noticed
that Scooter's back was wet. Smelled more like urine than water, but I
got up to look around and see whether there was water somewhere that
he might have walked in. Nothing.

But when I looked into the atrium, I noted that three very small
Coleus plants were gone. Vanished. As if never planted. I had bought
them a week before at Home Despot, neglecting to check if they were
dangerous to cats. So now I checked, and sure enough, they are
poisonous to cats. Not terribly so, but they can cause vomiting and
diarreah. Naturally I figure that I've killed Scooter and his kidneys
are going to shut down.

Even though Scooter seems perfectly fine, we're off to the new vet
(since I hadn't yet gotten a vet for them since moving to Florida).
Lots of blood tests, poking, proding.

I got a call yesterday that his WBCs were elevated and he appears to
have a urinary tract infection. I shouldn't have been surprised, given
that he had peed on himself somehow. But no damage to any organs. So I
took him back for a long lasting antibiotic, and he certainly seems to
be fine.

But, that brings us back to the Coleus plants. The UTI likely had
nothing to do with the Coleus; just a coincidence. So, who ate the
Coleuses? Marlo? Nipsy? Baby? Scooter? No idea.
Old November 27th 15, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

But when I looked into the atrium, I noted that three very small
Coleus plants were gone. Vanished. As if never planted. I had bought
them a week before at Home Despot, neglecting to check if they were
dangerous to cats. So now I checked, and sure enough, they are
poisonous to cats. Not terribly so, but they can cause vomiting and
diarreah.

They are supposed to be an LSD-like hallucinogen in people; if
I remember right, the effective dose is about 50 leaves and the
effect, while milder than LSD, goes on for a very long time.
I've never had a supply of coleus plants since reading that, so
I Haven't checked. But it seems like one of your furries must
have been on a different plane of reality for a while.

Old November 27th 15, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 01:43:01 +0000, Jack Campin
wrote:

But when I looked into the atrium, I noted that three very small
Coleus plants were gone. Vanished. As if never planted. I had bought
them a week before at Home Despot, neglecting to check if they were
dangerous to cats. So now I checked, and sure enough, they are
poisonous to cats. Not terribly so, but they can cause vomiting and
diarreah.

They are supposed to be an LSD-like hallucinogen in people; if
I remember right, the effective dose is about 50 leaves and the
effect, while milder than LSD, goes on for a very long time.
I've never had a supply of coleus plants since reading that, so
I Haven't checked. But it seems like one of your furries must
have been on a different plane of reality for a while.

Probably no effect on them at all since they tend to live on a
different plane of reality all the time.
Old December 2nd 15, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Jack Campin wrote:

But when I looked into the atrium, I noted that three very small
Coleus plants were gone. Vanished. As if never planted. I had bought
them a week before at Home Despot, neglecting to check if they were
dangerous to cats. So now I checked, and sure enough, they are
poisonous to cats. Not terribly so, but they can cause vomiting and
diarreah.

They are supposed to be an LSD-like hallucinogen in people; if
I remember right, the effective dose is about 50 leaves and the
effect, while milder than LSD, goes on for a very long time.
I've never had a supply of coleus plants since reading that, so
I Haven't checked. But it seems like one of your furries must
have been on a different plane of reality for a while.

This reminds of: "I will not eat the spider plant and then hallucinate
behind the toilet." -- Cat Resolutions.

I don't know whether spider plants are hallucinogenic, I just thought
it was funny. What an unpleasant place to have a psychedelic trip, though.

I find it hard to believe that coleus plants can produce hallucinations,
though. Wouldn't it have become a fad if they did? They're so easy to
come by.

--
Joyce

No one should try to hit another's bumper. But bumper bumpage is a part of
life. Yawn and get on with it. -- Gene Weingarten
Old December 2nd 15, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

But when I looked into the atrium, I noted that three very small
Coleus plants were gone. Vanished. As if never planted.

They are supposed to be an LSD-like hallucinogen in people [...]
it seems like one of your furries must have been on a different
plane of reality for a while.

This reminds of: "I will not eat the spider plant and then hallucinate
behind the toilet." -- Cat Resolutions.
I don't know whether spider plants are hallucinogenic, I just thought
it was funny. What an unpleasant place to have a psychedelic trip, though.
I find it hard to believe that coleus plants can produce hallucinations,
though. Wouldn't it have become a fad if they did? They're so easy to
come by.

Here you go:

https://www.erowid.org/plants/coleus/coleus_info1.shtml
http://entheology.com/plants/coleus-...ainted-nettle/

Whatever I read about them was a bit more enthusiastic than that.

Old December 3rd 15, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 14:32:55 +0000, Jack Campin
wrote:

[...]

Hard to tell if one of the cats was tripping. They might have eaten it
at night when I was sleeping.

A bit worried about Scooter dgk Cat anecdotes 7 April 15th 13 01:28 PM
Scooter uses his paw well dgk Cat anecdotes 2 August 3rd 11 01:29 PM
Scooter is RB John Ross Mc Master Cat community 2 February 6th 11 01:43 PM
To Scooter dog Granby Cat community 9 October 30th 10 04:21 AM
The Scooter Update dgk Cat health & behaviour 12 January 14th 10 04:26 PM