From the President of THe Last Resort Animal Sanctuary, Inc.

Old October 28th 04, 06:21 PM
Gina

Default From the President of THe Last Resort Animal Sanctuary, Inc.

It has come to my attention that a particularly alarming, and
disrepectful thread has been posted to a newsgroup on Google Groups.
As
President, Founder, and primary Caretaker, I am resisting the urge to
feel hurt, not to mention furious.

On July 22, 2002, The Last Resort Animal Sanctuary, Inc. became
legally
incorporated with the Pennsylvania Department Of State Corporation
Bureau. Incorporated as a "Domestic Nonprofit Corporation, Entity #
3084565", we indeed CAN legally call ourselves a nonprofit
corporation.

On August 30, 2002, The Last Resort Animal Sanctuary, Inc. was granted
by The United States Internal Revenue Service the status of 501c3,
tax-exmpt.

We were granted both the incorpration and the status because not only
did we follow proper channels, we indeed adhere strictily to our
Mission
Statement, Article 2 of our Articles of Incrporation.

The primary objective of our mission is to provide life-long care to
unwanted and abandoned domestic animals, and when possible find them
new forever homes. Our adoption policy is strict. We make sure that
any animal which leaves our shelter is moving on to a lifetime of love
and care. If our policies deter someone, and they instead adopt from a
"Kill" shelter, I'm pleased that an animal has been spared unnecessary
euthanasia.

At The Last Resort, cats and bunnies enjoy a cage-free life. Because
of this, surrenders are required to provide proof of spay/neuter,
vaccines, etc., and must give a surrender fee of at least $50.
Considering it costs any shelter an average of $700 per year to
support one animal, I think our fee is a bargain.

I, as President, manage the administration of this shelter, it's
website, and all operations. I have the help and support of my very
dedicated staff: Nicole Newark, Ibai Munoz, Nathaniel Snyder, Lori
Rodgers, Steve Smith, Heather Baublitz, Sandy Leathery and Joe
Cartwright.

I, as Caretaker, am personally, daily involved in all aspects of the
cats and rabbits of The Last Resort's care, welfare, and happiness. I
do
this every waking hour that I am not at my full-time job. I sleep very
little. My clothes smell like cats. My home is my office. My answering
macine is always blinking. My phone rings every day and night,
including
weekends.

I, as Founder, am deeply saddened that a few disassociated cyber
posters, would defame the name and mission of a charity and it's
people,
who give everything, every spare moment, every spare penny, to enable
the shelter to grow and flourish.

We work hard, together. We scoop poop, we vaccinate, we haul litter in
our cars, we return calls to people who want to give up their
life-long
pet "just because", we trap, we fundraise, we beg, we bargain, we
network, we laugh, we cry and then we laugh some more.

THis shelter IS legitimate not only because the state and federal
government say so, but because of the love, blood, sweat, tears and
joy
we pour into it every day of our lives.

The picture on our web site, which I've read one faceless poster to
desscribe as an
"atrocious... tiny room..." was taken in our former barn of 2000
square
feet, with multi levels, windows and screened sitting areas.

We indeed are registered with PetFinder.Com, our shelter # is PA295.
When the farm was sold out from under us in July 2004, we relocated
our
animals in to 5 foster locations, one being a 50 acre private farm,
with
use of a 3000 square foot barn and a summer house. Our PetFinder site
is
temporarily hidden while we reorganize, repair our newly donated
building, and continue to grow.

I'm ashamed for the people in the world like Edwin, and perhaps some
of
these cyber posters, who see the world through a veil of cynicism.
It's
as though they need to destroy what is good and joyous, so that they
may
have some captive company in their dark, lonely lives.

My email is always accepting. My phone always rings. ANyone with
questions need only call or write. I'm damn proud of our Last Resort
Animal Sanctuary, of our mission, and most importantly of our
volunteers. Time and time again the outside shows me how lucky I and
the
cats and the bunnies are to have them. Thank you Nicole, Ibai, Nate,
Lori, Steve, Heather, Sandy and Joe. I love you.

Gina Henderson, President/Founder
717-792-3203

www.thelastresort.us
Old October 28th 04, 06:28 PM
Mary

"Gina" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From everything you say above, it is clear that you are a collector, with no
real intentions of rehoming the animals you take in. I certainly would not
want to support this organization. There will just be more and more animals,
and something will eventually have to give--which is why you are resorting
to soliciting funds online.

Old October 28th 04, 06:31 PM
Mary

"Gina" wrote in message
om...
It has come to my attention that a particularly alarming, and disrepectful

thread has been posted to a newsgroup on Google Groups.

I would also like to suggest that before you decided to solicit funds in
newsgroups, you should probably have made an effort to understand what
Usenet is. There is no such thing as "Google Groups," but Usenet is an
international, unmoderated forum in which all may participate.

Old October 28th 04, 06:57 PM
KellyH

The primary objective of our mission is to provide life-long care to
unwanted and abandoned domestic animals, and when possible find them
new forever homes. Our adoption policy is strict. We make sure that
any animal which leaves our shelter is moving on to a lifetime of love
and care. If our policies deter someone, and they instead adopt from a
"Kill" shelter, I'm pleased that an animal has been spared unnecessary
euthanasia.

So you are not a shelter, with a focus of rehoming animals. You are a
sanctuary. Again, I ask, why should a highly adoptable animal have to live
in a sanctuary? IMHO, sanctuaries are for animals that have absolutely no
other chance of having a forever home.
Our shelter also has fairly strict guidelines, and we see about 3-4
adoptions a week, sometimes more. We also readily publish where we are
located so people can f'n VISIT the shelter. Yes, we do get dumped animals
sometimes. But you know what? I'm glad that people at least knew where we
were and didn't take them to the municipal shelter or drown them in the
river or something.

At The Last Resort, cats and bunnies enjoy a cage-free life. Because
of this, surrenders are required to provide proof of spay/neuter,
vaccines, etc., and must give a surrender fee of at least $50.
Considering it costs any shelter an average of $700 per year to
support one animal, I think our fee is a bargain.

What about the cats and bunnies that do not meet your criteria, or do not
come with a handy $50? How does it cost $700/ year to support an animal
that comes in fully vetted? At the shelter I'm with, we give priority to
the stray cat who's not spayed/neutered and probably never seen a vet
before, whether they come in with a donation or not. We look at it like
this: by taking that intact cat off the streets, we saved that cat and any
babies it may have produced. The owner turn-in who needs a new home because
baby developed allergies or whatever can wait. We can work with them to
keep the cat to a confined area until we have room, or some other solution.

Look, just about everyone who regularly participates on this newsgroup is
either a volunteer or paid staffer at a shelter, or has a shelter they know
and trust with their donations. You can't come on here and post, expecting
an outpouring of support and money without people being suspicious.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old October 28th 04, 06:58 PM
Sunflower

You must be very new to both rescue and the internet indeed if you feel that
a spam of newsgroups is the best method to raise funds for your animals.
What other fundraising programs do you have? Certainly you receive some
community support, yes? If not, then why not? Surely you have applied for
grants from the PetSmart Foundation, the PetCo Foundation, Maddie's Fund and
others? If not, why not?

Anyone who posts in cyberspace and isnt' a kook had better be willing to
back up their statements with verifiable facts. That's just common sense
and good security measures for someone to fact check. It is incumbent on the
person stating the fact to provide verification of that fact, not someone
who questions the information. Thus far, the only facts that you have
provided have been that you are a 501 c3 organization. Fine. Lots of groups
can get registered. Not that many make over the long haul. With your
unwillingness to provide public information about your group and it's
policies, it's fairly easy to see that you'll probably be one of those
statistics that just don't make to the 5 year mark.

I will repeat the questions I posed in another thread in hopes that you will
be more willing to share information about your group. It is public
verified information that succeeds in drawing both volunteers and donors. A
group that ducks questions while repeating that they are "certified" implies
that they have something to hide. A non profit can NOT afford to have that
reputation. So, please do share with the public the answers to my
questions.

What are your adoption statistics? I'd be more than happy to tell you
our shelter's. 80% of the animals that come through the door find homes,
with 10% being euthanized for health reasons, and 10% for overcrowding.
And we work damn hard to keep that rehomed figure that high.

How many cats do you take in and how many go out? We took in 282 cats last
year and 450 dogs. 80% of them found homes.

How many cats are you currently housing? What is your adoption criteria?
What is your adoption fee? How long does it take for a typical adoption to
occur? What methods do you utilize to be sure that you find homes for these
animals? None are listed on Petfinder and you don't have any information as
to how to view the pets at all. Do you do remote location adoptions like at
PetSmart?

Just how can one adopt an animal when there is no information about any of
the animals or adoption proceedures?

Many "no kill" shelters are covers for collectors who take in far more
animals than they can adequately provide care for, even with donations from
the community. If "adoption doesn't happen often", then you have to ask
yourself if you are in it for the animals benefit or not. Because it's not
beneficial for any animal to *live* in a shelter situation. All animals
deserve to own their own people to provide them with individual loving
attention. And the fact that your group isn't very successful at doing this
is a huge red flag.

Where can one go to see a copy of the minutes of the meetings of your
organization as well as the required financial report information? That is
required to be public information for any 501 c3 and ours is available at
our shelter. Where is yours? A PO box isn't an acceptible location. Care
to tell us how much money in fees were taken in last year? How about
donations? Donations in kind? What were the outgoing expenses? What was
the largest slice of that pie? I can tell you that veterinary expenses were
approximately 85% of our approximately $34K budget, and our primary income
was from
adoption fees and one or two large donations. Care to be that candid about
your group in public where it counts?

HSUS guidelines on feline housing will tell you exactly how much square
footage a cat should be allotted. (Are you aware of what that figure is?)
Any organization that does not abide by that is inhumane in it's housing
policies. On that, we agree. Our shelter utilizes a cattery for our longer
term residents as well. *We* spay and neuter and vaccinate the animals
before they're allowed to run in there though. Every animal that comes
through our doors leaves up to date on shots and spayed or neutered. These
are just the costs of running a rescue. Where is the money going if you are
not paying for vaccines and spay/neuter? You certainly can't have that big
a light bill. Food is available by donation from grocery stores and chain
stores. Cat litter is too. We get all of the burst bags free and therefore
only have to purchase kitten food and backup litter supplies. If we can beg
like this, surely your group can!

If you don't take any animals in that need spay/neuter or shots or testing,
then you're not really running a rescue. And if
you can't afford to provide these services to the animals that need them,
perhaps you'd best reassess whether or not your group has the financial
savvy to run a real rescue group. It's just like finding an animal a
responsible home. It takes more than love. People who "love animals" and
take in large number of them but don't provide them with any medical care
from their own pocket or personal attention because of the large number of
animals are COLLECTORS. And the really do believe that they are "saving
animals". But the reality check is, they're actually creating more animal
suffering, not less.