PING Hawaiians!

Old October 16th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

Default PING Hawaiians!

Any Hawaiians on this group?

How are you doing with today's big earthquake? It was at 7:07 AM
Hawaii time, and the main quake was at 6.6, 6 miles off the coast of
the big island of Hawaii and 20 miles down. The largest aftershock was
a few minutes later, a 5.8 quake 12 miles offshore.

CNN is carring local TV newscasts from Hawaii (from Honolulu). I was
quite happy to hear that there was no tsunami. But there's that
hospital in Kona is being evacuated. 95% of the homes on the island
of Oahu (where Honolulu is) are reported to be without power.

And it sounds like there are plenty of other big problems. Thank
goodness there are no fatalities reported yet!

So any Hawaiian slaves, let us know how you're doing!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...kes/ustwbh.php

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/15/haw...ake/index.html

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old October 16th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-10-15 18:09:48 -0500, Jeanne Hedge said:

Any Hawaiians on this group?

[...]

Been watching it all day. Very strange!

Old October 16th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Any Hawaiians on this group?

How are you doing with today's big earthquake? It was at 7:07 AM
Hawaii time, and the main quake was at 6.6, 6 miles off the coast of
the big island of Hawaii and 20 miles down. The largest aftershock was
a few minutes later, a 5.8 quake 12 miles offshore.

CNN is carring local TV newscasts from Hawaii (from Honolulu). I was
quite happy to hear that there was no tsunami. But there's that
hospital in Kona is being evacuated. 95% of the homes on the island
of Oahu (where Honolulu is) are reported to be without power.

And it sounds like there are plenty of other big problems. Thank
goodness there are no fatalities reported yet!

So any Hawaiian slaves, let us know how you're doing!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...kes/ustwbh.php

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/15/haw...ake/index.html

I used to live on Maui and I hadn't heard any of this until your post. I
called about 10 of my friends (to no avail) and I finally got someone. Maui
is fine; they lost power for about 5 hours, but they're fine. I asked
Bridget if the earthquake came from the fissure on the Big Island and she
didn't have a clue because the news had *just* turned on because of the
power failure.

For those of you who don't know, there is a large section of the Big Island
(Hawaii) that is getting ready to fall into the ocean. When that happens,
there will be a huge tsunami that is expected to cover all the islands and
make its way to California.

kili -------- 10 year former resident of Maui.

Old October 16th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:30:49 GMT, "kilikini"
wrote:

I used to live on Maui and I hadn't heard any of this until your post. I
called about 10 of my friends (to no avail) and I finally got someone. Maui
is fine; they lost power for about 5 hours, but they're fine. I asked
Bridget if the earthquake came from the fissure on the Big Island and she
didn't have a clue because the news had *just* turned on because of the
power failure.

USGS says the epicenter was NW of the Big Island, at N19.88 W155.94
and 20 miles down. The major shaking on Hawaii appears to be in the
area between Kohala and Hualalai. You can see the instrument intensity
map on the USGS site at
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...shake/twbh_06/

I've been listening to CNN off and on for a while now and haven't
heard anyone mention the fissure (the Hilina Fault -- I looked it
up). Then again, it's quite likely they might have mentioned it during
the times I wasn't watching. The epicenter was off in the opposite
direction off the NW coast, while the fault is on the SE side of the
island.

The DID have a couple experts on the Honolulu TV station that CNN was
broadcasting (KITV?), who said that while they (experts in general)
don't know what the trigger was yet, they (these particular experts)
were fairly certain it didn't have anything to do with Kilauea (near
the Hilina Fault, right?), volcanic activity or magma.

For those of you who don't know, there is a large section of the Big Island
(Hawaii) that is getting ready to fall into the ocean. When that happens,
there will be a huge tsunami that is expected to cover all the islands and
make its way to California.

Isn't part of the Azores supposed to be about ready to drop into the
Atlantic as well?

Old October 16th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"kilikini" wrote

I used to live on Maui and I hadn't heard any of this until your post. I
called about 10 of my friends (to no avail) and I finally got someone.
Maui
is fine; they lost power for about 5 hours, but they're fine. I asked
Bridget if the earthquake came from the fissure on the Big Island and she
didn't have a clue because the news had *just* turned on because of the
power failure.

For those of you who don't know, there is a large section of the Big
Island
(Hawaii) that is getting ready to fall into the ocean. When that happens,
there will be a huge tsunami that is expected to cover all the islands and
make its way to California.

I'm just hearing it now too. The two times I've visited Hawai'i (with my ex)
we stayed with friends of his on the Big Island near Kailua-Kona, on the
incredibly gorgeous Kealakekua Bay. No idea if they're still in the same
location but can't imagine they would have left their little paradise.

Old October 16th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

On 16 Oct 2006 00:15:21 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

I haven’t had the TV on all day, so I hadn’t heard about this. My
parents are leaving for HA on the 25th, so hopefully any
aftershocks will be finished by then. Purrs for the residents and
tourists and all affected.

I suspect it's going to depend on where they're going. It sounds as if
there's damage on some islands, just power outages on others, and
nothing going on at all on still others.

When my parents went to Hawaii many years ago there was a hurricane
(typhoon?) not too long before they left that did some damage on
Kawaii (for some reason I think this might have been the storm where
the USNavy ended up sending a submarine to dock there to provide power
to part of the island?). Because they weren't going to be allowed to
go to Kauai, their travel agent redid their itinerary and sent them to
Oahu and Molokai instead. (this last time they went, they went to
Hawaii and Maui)

Old October 16th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

wrote:

[...]

Yes, the interesting thing about the Hawaiian islands is that they're built
like a mushroom. The magma comes out of a fissure in the ocean and when it
hits the water it "mushrooms" out. Thus, all the islands are on a "stick"
so-to-speak. The sides fall off, slowly, over time and that's what helps
create the fabulous gorges and scenery. The Hawaiian islands are the newest
landmasses on the face of the earth, but because of their anatomy, are also
the fastest deteriorating land masses on the face of the earth.

I'm not kidding. Think of the world's most perfect mushroom, then imagine
the sides of the mushroom slowly falling down. Those are our beloved
islands.

kili

Old October 16th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

wrote:

[...]

They keep saying this is a very unusual quake. They did mention it
might be from pressure pushing down on the "stick" as you describe it.
However, they did not shed the light like you have here. Still it
doesn't seem to have anything to do with a fault, or they have
certainly not talked about that. I would assume that that would mean it
was more normal and they keep mentioning how odd it is.

Old October 16th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-10-15 20:28:19 -0500, "Pat" said:

"kilikini" wrote

[...]

Well that is right near the epicenter.

Old October 16th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Sun 15 Oct 2006 08:00:48p, Karen wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes (news:2006101519004816807%
kchuplis@alltelnet):

--
Cheryl

I would imagine they'd want to do some checking. There are things besides
aftershocks to be considered. Right now, electricity is out to much of the
Big Island, roads are closed by landslides, and buildings have been damaged.
Purrs that their hotel will still be there and that they will be able to get
there and enjoy their trip.

Joy