Be careful! There's a pea in there.

Old August 19th 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Be careful! There's a pea in there.

One of the many wet foods that I try to feed my cats has a few peas. I
forget which brand, something like "Healty Cat Food with Peas". Why
they include peas I'll never know. Now, I have had cats that would eat
odd things. One would even eat string beans. But none of them would
ever touch a pea.

It's funny to watch them eat around the pea. The tongues dart here and
there, lapping up the liquid. Then the solid stuff goes. But the pea
just sits there. It actually seems to get shinny as the stuff near it
disappears; apparently it gets polished by those sandpaper tongues.

Finally, all that's left, are four virtually empty bowls, each with
one or two peas sitting there. The cats wander off, their dinner
consumed, and I throw away the peas.
Old August 19th 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 19 Aug, 13:34, dgk wrote:
.. Why
they include peas I'll never know. Now, I have had cats that would eat
odd things. One would even eat string beans. But none of them would
ever touch a pea.

Isis (RB) loved peas- she adored having them in her cat food but she
would also steal them from plates if you didn't keep an eye on her-
she also liked carrots and mushrooms but the funniest thing was if we
had fish and chips- she'd want a share of the cod and her sister
Fugazi just wanted the batter

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 19th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

dgk wrote:
One of the many wet foods that I try to feed my cats has a few peas. I
forget which brand, something like "Healty Cat Food with Peas". Why
they include peas I'll never know. Now, I have had cats that would eat
odd things. One would even eat string beans. But none of them would
ever touch a pea.

It's funny to watch them eat around the pea. The tongues dart here and
there, lapping up the liquid. Then the solid stuff goes. But the pea
just sits there. It actually seems to get shinny as the stuff near it
disappears; apparently it gets polished by those sandpaper tongues.

Finally, all that's left, are four virtually empty bowls, each with
one or two peas sitting there. The cats wander off, their dinner
consumed, and I throw away the peas.

A friend of mine had a cocker spaniel who was placed on a special diet
which included vegetables. Even though dogs usually eat whatever is in
the bowl, DeeDee would careful remove all the bits of vegetable from her
dinner, while cleaning up all the rest!
Old August 20th 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_3_]

In article ,
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I was talking to somebody in a pet shop a few years ago and they said
that no matter what the animal, some kinds of food for it will always
have green bits in, and no matter what the animal, it will always
refuse to eat them. That was certainly true for our rats. Rats look
a lot more fastidious than cats when they eat, with those little hands
picking out exactly the bits they want. GREEN stuff?!? Ptui!!!

Hmm... I see how that's true when it's dried, but frozen peas are like
*crack* to most ratties who have tried them. They tend to like green
leafies and such too, depending on what they're used to. There's a
*huge* difference between fresh and dried, though.

Everyone but Mayhem thinks cantaloupe is icky too. Mayhem? Chows down
rind and all while hissing.

--
minnow ^..^

http://twitter.com/taheenahana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/
Old August 20th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 05:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Lesley
wrote:

On 19 Aug, 13:34, dgk wrote:
. Why
they include peas I'll never know. Now, I have had cats that would eat
odd things. One would even eat string beans. But none of them would
ever touch a pea.

Isis (RB) loved peas- she adored having them in her cat food but she
would also steal them from plates if you didn't keep an eye on her-
she also liked carrots and mushrooms but the funniest thing was if we
had fish and chips- she'd want a share of the cod and her sister
Fugazi just wanted the batter

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

They're really just so weird; I think that's why we like them so much.
If they all behaved more or less the same, they'd be a lot less
interesting.

Old August 21st 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 21:07:32 -0500, moonglow minnow
wrote:

In article ,
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I was talking to somebody in a pet shop a few years ago and they said
that no matter what the animal, some kinds of food for it will always
have green bits in, and no matter what the animal, it will always
refuse to eat them. That was certainly true for our rats. Rats look
a lot more fastidious than cats when they eat, with those little hands
picking out exactly the bits they want. GREEN stuff?!? Ptui!!!

Hmm... I see how that's true when it's dried, but frozen peas are like
*crack* to most ratties who have tried them. They tend to like green
leafies and such too, depending on what they're used to. There's a
*huge* difference between fresh and dried, though.

Everyone but Mayhem thinks cantaloupe is icky too. Mayhem? Chows down
rind and all while hissing.

I've never had rats as pets, nor known anyone who did, so it's hard to
picture their 'normal behavior'.

I have a little picture in my head of a rat spitting out a piece of food
it didn't like with a cartoon-like sound effect

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100821-0, 08/21/2010
Tested on: 8/21/2010 6:52:32 AM

Old August 21st 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Hehehe

They mostly do that with medicine. They're *good* at not swallowing
anything they don't want.

Boys are too lazy to grab anything they don't already know they like. If
you give it to them, though, sometimes they're too lazy to not swallow
it.

*looks at the three napping squishes in the cage next to the bed*

Lazy.

Old August 25th 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"dgk" wrote in message
One of the many wet foods that I try to feed my cats has a few peas. I
forget which brand, something like "Healty Cat Food with Peas". Why
they include peas I'll never know. Now, I have had cats that would eat
odd things. One would even eat string beans. But none of them would
ever touch a pea.

It's funny to watch them eat around the pea. The tongues dart here and
there, lapping up the liquid. Then the solid stuff goes. But the pea
just sits there. It actually seems to get shinny as the stuff near it
disappears; apparently it gets polished by those sandpaper tongues.

Finally, all that's left, are four virtually empty bowls, each with
one or two peas sitting there. The cats wander off, their dinner
consumed, and I throw away the peas.

This is so funny. I sometimes buy food for Boyfie that has veggies in, and
he carefully leaves the minute bits of veggies, even if they are miniscule
he claims cats do not eat them. Ever. He can leave a tiny piece of carrot
polished of any gravy.
Unlike Kitty Farmcat, who, when she was well, would scarf up anything that
had gravy on, brussels sprouts, cabbage, peas, broc, potatoes - bring it
on!
I suspect she had a harder life than Boyfie ever did.
I had a dog, Pollyanna, who also hated peas. If there was even one in her
dinner she would sort it out, polish it of any gravy and leave it in her
dish as a disgusting thing.

Old August 28th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I was like that myself as a human... until I tasted fresh peas for the first
time. As a child my mother always bought canned (tinned) peas. Disgusting
mushy green stuff. I don't blame the dog or cat for turning their noses up
at peas in canned food. But, the first time I ate garden fresh peas I was
in my 30's and on a date. I couldn't very well refuse to eat what was
served, that would have been rude. I took a bite to be polite... oh my! I
loved the peas! I didn't like the guy I had dinner with so much. LOL

Jill