Fences - Cats - DIY

Old August 12th 12, 01:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.cats.community
Gas Bag

Default Fences - Cats - DIY

A friend of mine has one of these fences that's about 178cm (5'10")
tall:

http://stratco.com.au/products/fenci..._neighbour.asp

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in. I
know full well that there are numerous commercially available products
that will stop cats (along with other animals) climbing fences. I'm
sure they do work, but they're all fairly pricey, particularly if
attempting to cover a significant length of fencing. I'm now thinking
about trying a home-rigged set up. I'm considering getting a whole
heap of empty 2 Litre plastic softdrink bottles (Soda bottles to any
USA readers), then cutting off the base and neck of the bottles, then
cutting them lengthwise, then siliconing them to the tops of the fence
so the sides of the bottles "curve downwards" from the top of the
fence. I'm thinking this curved plastic will be too smooth and
slippery for a cat to get any grip with it's claws. I have no problem
with spending some time getting this to work, but I want to keep the
cost down, so spending lots of $$$ isn't happening. Again, I am aware
of many commercially available products.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted anything like this, and if
they can offer any advice. Thanks.

To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.
Old August 12th 12, 06:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.cats.community
HeyBub[_2_]

Gas Bag wrote:
[...]

Good luck with that.

Easier would be 6' sections of plastic drain pipe.

Anyway, even an inspired kitty cannot jump six feet in the air. Is there
anyway you can slickify the fence?

A few years ago, an asshole neighbor of the Ernest Hemingway home in Key
West bitched about the Hemingway cats getting out and bothering her, in
spite of a six-foot concrete block fence surrounding the Hemingway property.
Then the feds got involved.

"Make the fence higher" said the federal agency that looks out for the
welfare of display animals, like found in a circus.

"We can't" said the trustees of the property. "This is a federal historic
site and modifications are prohibited."

"Then get rid of the cats," said some pompous federal bureaucrat.

"We can't," said the trustees. "It's part of Hemingway's will that the cats
go with the donation of the property. If the cats go, the estate reverts to
Hemingway's heirs."

In the end, I think they disposed of the aggravated neighbor.

Old August 12th 12, 06:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.cats.community
Oren

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 05:17:36 -0700 (PDT), Gas Bag
wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.

What she wants to do goes against nature. Cats do what cats do.
Old August 12th 12, 06:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.cats.community
Bert

wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.

What she wants to do goes against nature.

You mean like keeping a cat as a pet?

--
St. Paul, MN
Old August 12th 12, 06:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.cats.community
Oren

On 12 Aug 2012 17:41:41 GMT, Bert wrote:

wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.

What she wants to do goes against nature.

You mean like keeping a cat as a pet?

No. "Herding cats".
Old August 12th 12, 07:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.cats.community
Art Todesco

On 8/12/2012 8:17 AM, Gas Bag wrote:
[...]

On the TV show, "Cats from Hell" or something like that, they pointed
out that you can, at the top of a balcony rail, put a "fence" part
jetting in at 45 degrees for about 18", I think. This was to keep a cat
on its owner's balcony and not allow it to crawl over to the neighbor's
balcony. He said cats won't crawl upside down and around it. I'm
skeptical.
Old August 12th 12, 08:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.cats.community
Ashton Crusher

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:35:01 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

[...]

It should work. That's the basic premise of all the "cat fence"
products. I had more or less that setup all along my perimeter fence
and since installing it my cats have not been able to get out.
Old August 12th 12, 08:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Cats will not - but you just created a "jungle gym" for every
squirrel in the neighbourhood. A six to 10 inch 45 degree slope in at
the top of a six foot fence will stop all but the most determined cat.

Done at both sides it stops travel in both directions. And makes a
runway at the top for whatever makes it half way. And for all the
local squirrels.
Old August 12th 12, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mosey =^..^=[_14_]

Default Fences - Cats

We never go out, Those are the rules where we live.
Mosey, PookyKat, Sqweex and Pipps

Old August 12th 12, 09:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.cats.community
Evan

http://stratco.com.au/products/fenci...bour/good_neig...

[...]

LOL, what else is inside the yard ?

"animal proof" the fence where the fence is only the
boundary indicator and not likely to be at fault...

How close to the fence are any plants ?

How accessible is the roof of the house to the fence ?
(cats love climbing and jumping)

Nothing you do to the fence will keep out other cats who
jump in from outside beyond the control of the fence
and cat keeper...

Sounds like this cat lady needs to build a kennel
in her yard where the cats can go inside and outside
of the house but when outside are completely enclosed
in a caged off area... That is the ONLY possible
solution that will prevent escape of her cats and block
ingress of strange cats...