Kindle questions - OT

Old June 11th 12, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Kindle questions - OT

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message ...

On 6/10/2012 6:41 PM, Joy wrote:
Although nothing will ever replace real books for me, it seems to me that
an
e-reader would be the best bet for traveling, as opposed to taking a large
number of books along.

Since my kids are taking me to Australia in October, I'm seriously
considering getting an e-reader. So far I'm leaning toward a Kindle, but
have lots of questions.

For one thing, they range from the bare bones to the Kindle Fire. I think
there's one even more expensive than the Fire, but that's definitely out
of
my range. I'm looking hard at the Kindle Touch and the next one up, which
has 4G.

Does anybody here have a Kindle? If so, which model do you have? What
are
its advantages and disadvantages? If you wish you'd gotten a different
model, which one and why?

I get the impression that one can send email, or at least texts, on some
models. Is this true? If so, which ones?

Apparently they can be read in full sunlight, like a real book. I assume
this means one would need a light to use them in dim light or the dark?

Any other suggestions or comments would be most welcome.

I have the Kindle Keyboard 3G (also has wifi) - mine is the 3rd
generation of the original version (in white - a couple of friends got
theirs in the graphite grey). We have the $189US versions that do not
have ads on them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...famstripe_kk3g

If you get this version and want to read on the plane or any other
low-light situation, get a cover with a light on it (e-ink is neat, but
it does not light up!). You can enlarge the text and change the font as
well (I think there are 4 - 6 different fonts installed on it)

The Kindle DX is a larger version (almost a 10 inch screen as compared
to the 6 inch screen)

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have both the Kindle 3G (now called keyboard) and the larger DX. I use
the DX at home because it has a much larger screen, so I don't turn pages as
often. That may sound silly, but I really do like it. I use the smaller
one any time I travel, and that includes short trips to the doctor's office,
car wash, etc. It can easily fit in a purse and is much more "portable."
The same books can be downloaded to both devices, and they synchronize so
you can pick up reading on one device in the same place as you left off on
the other. Font sizes can easily be changed on both of them. I have the
lighted leather cover for the small Kindle, so I can read even in the dark
if there is a loss of power. I seldom use it to access the Internet--I much
prefer my computer for that. For one thing, the keyboard, is extremely
small. So, I use mine purely as a reader. I have dozens of books on my
Kindles, so I can carry all those books around in the size of a single
paperback. I bought mine before the Kindle Fire was released, so I don't
have a comparison for that one. I suspect it's easier to use the keys on
the new version because I think they are on the touch screen.

MaryL

Old June 11th 12, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"William Hamblen" wrote in message
m...
On 2012-06-10, Joy wrote:
[...]

I have what is now called the Kindle Keyboard, and a case. The case
is needed to protect the Kindle from wear and tear and comes with a
booklight. The Kindle Fire has a backlight built in. I also have more
than 100 titles so far. The nice thing is you can carry a lot of books
inside your Kindle. The bad thing is that you can't lend or give away
or sell your old Kindle e-books. The Kindle does come with a web browser.
The browser is barely adequate. The Kindle doesn't lend itself to
web browsing. I'd get a tablet computer if web browsing was important.

Bud

Thank you for this information. How big is the screen? How heavy is it?

No, web browsing isn't that important. I thought it would be nice to be
able to send email, but I could find other ways to do that if it's
important. OTOH, if you aren't visiting the web, what is the advantage of
the keyboard?

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 6/10/2012 6:41 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

Thank you! That is a lot of very helpful information.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 10:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message . ..

Thank you. All of these responses are very helpful.

Joy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
One more thing: You can quickly build a library with a considerable number
of books. So, how do you locate particular books? First, you can opt to
arrange books by author, title, or most recently received. Or, you can opt
to create collections (as I have done) and place books into general
categories--for example, reference, classics, fiction (or break it down
further into mysteries, etc.). Within those collections, they will be
organized by author, title, or most recently received. You can also archive
books or even delete books from the device, but those books will always be
available for future download from your Kindle settings on amazon.com. Some
books can be loaned to other people for 14 days, but that depends on the
publisher. I have found that most of the books I would like to lend to
others are not yet enabled for sharing. I always download books directly to
my Kindle, but they can also be downloaded to your computer and then later
transferred to your Kindle.

MaryL

Old June 11th 12, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

I've got a pretty bare-bones model. I carry it with me everywhere. I
bought a case and a little light for it - I use the case constantly, and
since I drop it sometimes, that's been worth the money. I haven't used
the light at all, since I don't seem to want to read in really low-light
situations. I adjust the text size sometimes. I still like 'real' books
- you can't flip back and forth as easily in a kindle and it's harder to
find something you think you read somewhere unless you mark it. But for
portability and convenience and ease of use, the kindle wins. I've
already got a lot of books - I sorted them by type, fiction, humour etc.
A lot of them are free or very cheap older books, but I buy newer ones
sometimes too. I need to be near wifi or my computer to download them,
but that's not a problem.

I also use it to read other documents. It's not really good with pdf,
although it will read it, but if I convert the pdf to Word or text, I of
course don't get the neat layout of a professionally-converted book, but
it's entirely readable, and I can enlarge the text or make notes.

--
Cheryl
Old June 11th 12, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_3_]

On 2012-06-10, Joy wrote:
[...]

The screen on my Kindle is about 3-1/2 inches wide by 5 inches tall.
The keyboard is useful for entering short lines of text as when
searching for an author in the Kindle store, but it would be frustrating
to use for mail. The screen is not a touch screen.

Bud

Old June 11th 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Thank you, Mary. I hadn't though about organizing the books, but you're
right. If I downloaded a number of them I'd definitely want to organize
them, so it's good to know there are so many options for doing so.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Booker

I bought my DH a Kindle Touch WiFi, with ads, ran about $100. He uses it
all the time. I liked it so much I bought one for me and one for my mom.
Amazon has refurbished ones for $79. Same warranty as new.

Great blog for free books and specials:
http://blog.booksontheknob.org/

I have eye problems due to thyroid issues, and this is infinitely easier
to use for reading than my ipad. Not to mention that I can read sitting
outside, which is very difficult with the ipad (or kindle fire).

I also have the Kindle DX (larger model). I've pretty much switched to
using the Touch because it is much smaller and lighter.

Ads are not intrusive, and I've taken advantage of several.

It has basic web, so if you have one of the web based email accounts you
could use for email. I keep my ipad handy for email and web so I don't
use my kindle for that.

On 6/10/2012 3:41 PM, Joy wrote:
Although nothing will ever replace real books for me, it seems to me that an
e-reader would be the best bet for traveling, as opposed to taking a large
number of books along.

Since my kids are taking me to Australia in October, I'm seriously
considering getting an e-reader. So far I'm leaning toward a Kindle, but I

Old June 11th 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you, Cheryl. I'm glad to know you can make notes.

I agree - real books are my first love, but for traveling, or even for
reading a really large book, I can see that the Kindle would be a great
advantage.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

kindle Patok[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 January 27th 12 08:18 AM
kindle Patok Cat anecdotes 6 January 27th 12 08:14 AM
e-book kindle googleGroupGuy Cat anecdotes 0 February 19th 11 11:43 PM
ot, kindle Stormmee Cat anecdotes 25 August 3rd 09 02:45 AM
Questions.... Angela Ryan Cat anecdotes 2 September 5th 03 07:42 PM