kittens

Old July 2nd 04, 05:14 AM
Cat Protector

Where are you located? As for the mother cat, hopefully it will be TNR. That
is the best thing you can do for ferals.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Wendy" wrote in message

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I have heard that feral kittens are much easier to be amongst humans

that
the adults. You probably got them at a good time but I would ask a

rescue
group that deals with ferals for some tips. You said you moved them but

was
the mother cat around?

--

No mom wasn't there when the dh snagged the kittens. I think they're going
to try to trap mom and get her spayed so she doesn't do this again.

I've got a call into the rescue group but haven't heard back from them

yet.

Old July 2nd 04, 06:54 AM
Rhonda

Wow, six of them!

A couple of years ago, my sig. trapped three at his job. Mom-cat was
later captured and spayed by a rescue group.

The kitties were judged to be about 10 weeks old. They hissed at us and
hid immediately. We kept all three in our bathroom for several weeks.

We let them hide in a box or the drawers without bothering them for the
first day. After that, we spent lots and lots of time with them, just
sitting and gently talking to them, getting them used to humans.

After a few days, I could lay my hand close to them and even touch one
of them without a hiss. The vet gave us good advice -- move slowly.
Don't use jerky motions or try to grab a fleeing cat. Any sudden
movement by us sent them flying.

I also started playing with them with a toy on a long string. They were
so tempted by that, they finally would thrust a paw out of the box while
I was there. Eventually, they all started playing, they couldn't help
themselves. Finally, I could pet them, and after a week or more, I could
pick one or two up (very slowly again.) By the second week, they were
starting to understand, and like, getting some affection.

We found a happy home for one kitten. He is still skittish to new people
and new sounds, but very loving to his human. We kept two. One of ours
is almost normal, lounging on the couch, a fairly relaxed cat. The other
one is skittish, but very affectionate. She will always be a flighty
cat, but is bright, alert, and happy.

Good luck with your guys!

Rhonda

Wendy wrote:

How does one go about domesticating ferile kittens?

The dh brought home 6 of them. They are approx. 8 - 12 wks. old. and want no
parts of being picked up - hissing, biting and scratching ensues when you
try. They had been living under a friend's porch but were upsetting the
resident 22 yr.old (not in good health) cat so they had to be moved
somewhere else.

Are these guys too old to tame? How does one go about doing so if possible?

Old July 2nd 04, 07:11 AM
William Hamblen

On 2004-07-02, Wendy wrote:

How does one go about doing so if possible?

They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten moved
into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
lap fungus.

I would be more concerned about litter training.

Old July 2nd 04, 07:11 AM
William Hamblen

Old July 2nd 04, 10:45 AM
Wendy

On 2004-07-02, Wendy wrote:

How does one go about doing so if possible?

They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten moved
into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
lap fungus.

I would be more concerned about litter training.

They used the box overnight. )

Old July 2nd 04, 10:45 AM
Wendy

Old July 2nd 04, 11:01 AM
Wendy

"Rhonda" wrote in message
[...]

This morning I've been able to gently stoke all their heads. Even the most
suspicious one, the gray and white, decided that getting his head stroked
wasn't necessarily a bad thing. The one little black and white let me tickle
him under the chin and started leaning into it until he realized what he was
doing. He's even got a little purring action going there. He's the most laid
back of the bunch.

Old July 2nd 04, 04:12 PM
Linda Terrell

On 2004-07-02, Wendy wrote:

How does one go about doing so if possible?

They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten moved
into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
lap fungus.

I would be more concerned about litter training.

They used the box overnight. )

A trick we use to help settle feral kittens, is to wrap them in a
towel
when we pick them up. That way they get used to the feeling of
being handled through the towel -- massage them a lot -- but your
hands are
protected. They rather quickly come to like it.

LT