The litter saga

Old March 27th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default The litter saga

outsider wrote:
I do not like the idea of flushing the litter but I like the stuff to
bio-degrade rather than fill a landfill. I will post my experience with
the wheat stuff and whatever else I try. Then I will address the diet
issue. Marina be ready to answer questions.

Anything I can do to help. Hope you can solve your litter problem. And
your cheezburger problem.

Old March 27th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dee[_2_]

outsider wrote in
:

So I just picked up a box of Swheat Scoop.

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

I don't really know how it will work out. It will be a few days,
at least, until I get one litterbox switched to the wheat litter.
I am currently trying to read all the company's propaganda but I
can't see it being worse than the other stuff. My next step is to
just dump the idea of the scoopable because I don't really know
what got me on that in the first place since I was always happy
with normal little.

Any comment are welcome and I will report back in a week or so
about how the brothers liked the wheat litter (with the really
stupid name).

I have been using Swheat Scoop exclusively for my two cats for the past
10 years. IMO, it works very well at clumping and is low-dust. I add
a bit of baking soda for odor control but it is not absolutely
necessary. Filling the box 3-4 inches deep makes scooping easier as
the clumps won't adhere as readily to the bottom.

Dee
Old March 27th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Marina" ...
outsider wrote:
I do not like the idea of flushing the litter but I like the stuff to
bio-degrade rather than fill a landfill. I will post my experience with
the wheat stuff and whatever else I try. Then I will address the diet
issue. Marina be ready to answer questions.

Anything I can do to help. Hope you can solve your litter problem. And
your cheezburger problem.

Well, I've given it a lot of thought and I want to say, that I'm gonna have
DH pick up some pine scented 'wood' litter to mix in wih the clay litter,
and 'maybe' that will help with the dust problem, which I loathe.
I can make some suggestions about your odor problem, you might want to put
in one of those plug-in fan type of ait freshners in your catbox room..it'll
make the room smell like flowers, or whatever, they come in a lot of
different scents.
I wish I could find one with a 'coffee' scent LOL
I submitted my idea to Glade Air frenshers and 'they' wanted money form me
for my idea??
I don't think so..ho hum...
Kyla

Old March 27th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Matthew"
"Sam"
Matthew wrote:
"outsider"
I need to post something to get the cheesburgers out of my head.

I continue to have misgivings about the clumping litter I am using. I
was using the Scoop Away which I mentioned here as I remember. It
created a lot of dust which got over everything and stunk the whole
place
of the perfume in it. I tried Phil's suggestion of pouring it back and
forth outside first and that helped but it was still bad. I have now
gone through two boxes of a name brand scoopable (the name just jumped
out of my head) which was better

BUT

I continue to worry about the amount of litter dust that coat the cats
coats (he he) which make them smell like cheap whores and much worse
which they ingest. I _have_ put my large air filter in the cats' room
which _has_ greatly lessened the amount of dust around the house but
the
cats are still exposed to it.

So I just picked up a box of Swheat Scoop.

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

I don't really know how it will work out. It will be a few days, at
least, until I get one litterbox switched to the wheat litter. I am
currently trying to read all the company's propaganda but I can't see
it
being worse than the other stuff. My next step is to just dump the
idea
of the scoopable because I don't really know what got me on that in the
first place since I was always happy with normal little.

Any comment are welcome and I will report back in a week or so about
how
the brothers liked the wheat litter (with the really stupid name).

damn it! I still want burgers!

Andy

http://tinyurl.com/36jy5t just for you Andy

Matthew, you sir are CRUEL!

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe, who, but for a hanky would have drooled all
over his keyboard

evil grin

LOL, Matthew, tomorrow, a card is going into the mail for you from me and
Mosey
Kyal
--and Clowder

Old March 27th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Christine K."
bastXXXette
Daniel Mahoney I used to use clumping litter, and liked it a lot.
It's quite convenient.
However, Nancy really preferred pine litter ("Feline Pine" and the

like)
for it's odor-hiding power. I tried Feline Pine once, and I didn't

notice any improvement in the
odor problem. And I found all that sawdust at the bottom of the box
(the result of having a cat pee on the pellets) a real pain in the butt
to get rid of. So I guess I'd have to say that pine litter didn't work
out too well for me. :-/

snip
Joyce

We have always used wood pellets with Laku. That together with the double
bottomed litter pan makes it very easy to scoop the sawdust out. The
litterpan is actually two pans, the top one has like a sieve at the bottom
where the sawdust falls through into the bottom one, the whole pellets
stay in the top one. You just scoop the sawdust from the bottom pan and
put it into your compost, bio-waste or whatever. The poops I pick with
couple pieces of TP from the top pan into the toilet bowl.

Sounds like something we might have to think abut getting. Until we can
afford different cat litter boxes, we're stuck with the clumping litter and
are going to mix some pine pellets in with it.
Kyla

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Old March 27th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"hopitus" ...
On Mar 26, 2:39 pm, outsider
[...]

Lots of folks evidently are much more concerned with clay dust, smell,
ease of disposal than I am. Have used hard-clumping letter for years
now;;
scoop into a grocery store medium-size plastic bag fitted into a 5-
gal.
plastic container w/lid. When full, I place filled bag into 2 more
bags to
avoid leakage, tie top, and dispose of in dumpsters w/other waste.
Three cats, huge oversize litterbox, high sides. My cats EAT organic
litter (!) they *love* Swheat scoop and that Pine stuff. Natch it
leads
to bad news digestively but you can't reason with them. They smell
"corn" and "leaves" or "grass" and that's all there is to it AFATC.
Probably no one else has this problem....I recycle and consider that
adequate as to my contribution to pollution control outside my
dwelling.

Hmm, we have 2 litterboxes filled with the store bought brand of litter,
which does create dust, and we're going to put in some pine scented litter
in there to mix it up with.
When I scoop the boxes, I use the gallon size zip lock bags I get from the
Dollar Store, then when that's half full, I put the used zip lock into a
plastic grocery bag and set it aside, and continue on with another one.
They pick up the trash on Thursdays, so I usually have about 4-6
'bundles' of cat litter that goes into the trash. No worries with the
hoomin who picks up the trash in her pick-up. It's heavy to me but DH takes
out the trash.
And we do recycle paper ,cans, plastic and glass.
I love my shredder and use it alot
Blasted people who sned me pre-approved credit cards thingys get
shredded for safety reasons.
Kyla

Old March 27th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"kilikini"
bastXXXette
Daniel Mahoney
I used to use clumping litter, and liked it a lot. It's quite
convenient. However, Nancy really preferred pine litter ("Feline
Pine" and the like) for it's odor-hiding power.

I tried Feline Pine once, and I didn't notice any improvement in the
odor problem. And I found all that sawdust at the bottom of the box
(the result of having a cat pee on the pellets) a real pain in the
butt to get rid of. So I guess I'd have to say that pine litter
didn't work out too well for me. :-/

I tried a corn cob litter once and I couldn't stand it. It claimed it
clumped, but I have no idea how. My MIL uses it and loves it, but I found
if I let the boxes go for any longer than 1/2 a day, my house stunk. My
MIL has only one cat, though, so maybe she found more success with it than
I.

kili

Yeah, we tried the corn litter as well, and I hated it and so did the cats.
Tracked all over the place and it was horrid :/

Kyla

Old March 27th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Dee wrote in news:Xns9A6E5DA3871FFddd888
@cinbell.usenetserver.com:

outsider wrote in
:

[...]

One of the articles mentioned it being very sticky; I will go with your
recommendation.
Old March 27th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

hopitus wrote in
:

On Mar 26, 2:39 pm, outsider wrote:
[...]

This is a concern of mine. If they think the litter is food I wont be
able to use it. They were already sniffing at the plastic container I
put the swheat scoop in. I hope they were just being curious!