Abelard needs help

Old December 19th 10, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default Update: Abelard needs help

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 00:51:38 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
news:67123250-6fd4-4bae-I'm sure Abelard would be happy to drink
something like this. He loves
all sorts of broths, he will even drink the liquid out of canned vegies
if he can get it. I've let him have all sorts of broths and he's never
turned one down.

He will stay on the drip until he's well enough to come home but I'd
like to have a special drink on hand for him the second he gets here.
That is, if he makes it. Both vets expressed doubts that he would be
able to survive this episode. I will know more in a few hours.
-------------
If he comes home and needs to drink rehydration fluid for CRF let me
know. I have the recipe. Kept KFC going for years until she was
snatched.

They do like it. It saves a fortune not buying sachets of exactly the
same formula at the vets.

Tweed

One well-known trick for getting elderly cats to drink enough is to have
several water dishes in different parts of the house. Cats have the
instinct to check any water source to see if it is drinkable (an instinct
probably coming from their desert ancestry). By having multiple water
dishes, repeatedly sampling the different water dishes will result in
their consuming more water than they would drink from a single water dish.

You are so right! Years ago when Princess adopted me, I had put
containers of water on or under all heat registers to humidify the dry
air. She used them all as her personal drinking bowls. MLB
Old December 19th 10, 08:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

John F. Eldredge wrote:

One well-known trick for getting elderly cats to drink enough is to have
several water dishes in different parts of the house. *Cats have the
instinct to check any water source to see if it is drinkable (an instinct
probably coming from their desert ancestry). *By having multiple water
dishes, repeatedly sampling the different water dishes will result in
their consuming more water than they would drink from a single water dish..

It's not like he wouldn't drink water. I always see him drinking
water. I see them all drinking due to the central placement of the
main water dish. He would also drink standing water out of stuff in
the kitchen sink sometimes.

I thought his not drinking Friday was due to nausea. I thought the
infection was still raging despite the antibiotic injections, and
maybe it was painful for him to drink. That's why I was giving broth
and electrolytes from a dropper, a few drops at a time all day long.
It pains me now to realize how bad off he was without my realizing the
cause.

The vet in Springfield called earlier and said Abelard is now "up and
around" in his crate there are the clinic, and producing urine. More
blood work is being done as I type this. He will call in a few hours
with another update.

Old December 19th 10, 08:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default 2nd Update: Abelard needs help

On Dec 18, 4:39*pm, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:

Well, try not beat yourself up this; I think we've all done something
like this...and, after all, you're NOT a vet tech.

I can't help but feel absolutely like the worst cat-mom ever. Imagine
if *you* got so dehydrated that you had seizures!

If Abelard was as sick as your vet SAYS, he should have INSISTED on
rehydrating him, as a MINIMUM of care.

HE is to blame for this, NOT you.

He didn't do his job properly: it's HIS responsibility to communicate to
people who DON'T have a background in veterinary science what is going
on with a sick animal, and just EXACTLY what NEEDS to be done, to treat
the sick pet.

He DIDN'T do this, AT ALL!

Yes, the vet is at fault for some of it, but so is Dave, and so am I.
Especially me, as I could see that something is horribly wrong before
the seizure and ought to have taken him to a different vet, sooner. On
the other hand, I have to give myself some credit, for keeping him
hydrated enough to stay alive long enough to make it to a proper vet.
I was getting liquids into him by mouth but didn't want to give too
much at once and cause vomiting. At the same time, I felt bad for
continually waking him up to give more fluids by mouth, when he
obviously needed to rest. I remembered being in the hospital myself in
1981 and not being able to rest because the nurses came in hourly to
take my vital signs - I think I would have gotten well much faster if
they had let me get at least one good night's sleep.

As with all professions, they are good, bad, and exceptional
veterinarians. Yours sounds pretty much mediocre, at best, to me.

My vet knows that I'm very good at understanding medical terminology,
but she ALWAYS makes *absolutely sure I understand what is going on.

I remember when Abelard had a seizure (or was it more than one?) before.

Thinking back on this, I don't believe a seizure is what he had, back
then. At least, not an ordinary seizure. He never went stiff, nor did
he evacuate involuntarily; he just writhed around in an out-of-control
manner for a long time. That was a lot more frightening because it
went on and on. But it only happened once.

I've seen a cat have a seizure, and it is REALLY scary to see,
ESPECIALLY if it's your beloved kitty

I know how sick a cat can get just from getting dehydrated: I saw it
happen to Kenzie, more than once, when I first put her on the Tapezole,
and she had such a bad time tolerating it.

And Kenzie was basically healthy back then, aside from the
hyperthyroidism. *She just couldn't keep any food or water down.

Cats drink so much less water than humans or dogs do: they are descended
from desert dwelling wild cats. They get dehydrated so easily, and
suffer from kidney damage, because of this.

I'm sorry I can't help with *Abelard's expenses

I understand your position. I hope others can understand mine. As it
stands right now, without the added cost of further treatment
(including a lot of dental work as soon as Abelard is well enough to
have it) I will be paying for this incident for at least 18 months,
during which time there will be a lot of sacrificing. The first place
I tighten up the budget is my own medical care. And it will be tighter
than usual, because right now five more kitties are due for dental
care. They will have it, even if it means I must cancel our internet
service.

Sending mega purrs for Abelard to get well, and for your stress and
anxiety, as well.

Thanks so much. I know you know what it's like.
Old December 19th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Christina Websell wrote:

If he comes home and needs to drink rehydration fluid for CRF let me know.. I
have the recipe. *Kept KFC going for years until she was snatched.

They do like it. *It saves a fortune not buying sachets of exactly the same
formula at the vets.

He should be home Tuesday or Wednesday and I will want to have this
fluid available for him. If it involves water from tuna packed in
water I'm sure he will love it.

Old December 26th 10, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

Christina Websell wrote

Tweed

Sorry to be off-topic, but other methods having failed completely:
Christina, how do I get in touch with you please?

An email to one of

c a t 2 [at] b l a k j a k [dot] o r g
c a t 2 [at] b l a k j a k [dot] c o [dot] u k
b l u e j a k 6 6 6 [at] h o t m a i l [dot] c o m

should reach me.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.org/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome

Abelard again (pic) Pat Cat anecdotes 7 December 5th 06 08:41 AM
Abelard is gone again Pat Cat anecdotes 29 September 13th 05 05:52 PM
Oh, Abelard....!!! Pat Cat anecdotes 26 July 6th 05 04:09 AM
Abelard going to TED Pat Cat anecdotes 28 May 4th 05 12:40 AM
Abelard Says Yes Pat Cat anecdotes 4 April 28th 05 07:25 PM