Where is Helen S. ?

Old March 10th 05, 12:23 AM
Charleen Welton

Default Where is Helen S. ?

Are she and family on holiday? Is she here and I have missed seeing her?

Charleen

Old March 11th 05, 10:35 AM
wafflycat

"Charleen Welton" wrote in message
m...
Are she and family on holiday? Is she here and I have missed seeing her?

Charleen

I'm here :-)

Honestly I can't keep up with the number of posts on the NG, so am doing
mostly lurking these days.

The felines are all well, which is the important thing.

Waffles rules the roost. Francis is doing very well on his daily
beta-blocker - you wouldn't know he's a chronic renal disease cat. Marble
is,well, Marble - cat of small brain and large disaster area ;-)

Vernon is well - Nathan is well, I'm well - 41lbs lighter than at the middle
of December but am plateauing on the weightloss... AAAGGGHHH!!!

Cheers, helen s

Old March 11th 05, 08:13 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-11, wafflycat penned:

Vernon is well - Nathan is well, I'm well - 41lbs lighter than at the middle
of December but am plateauing on the weightloss... AAAGGGHHH!!!

Plateaus happen. 41 lb is awesome; how far are you from your goal?

You might be able to kickstart your metabolism by trying a different type of
exercise than you usually do? Just a thought; not sure if it would work.

I've noticed since starting my kickboxing (sort of) class in December that I
haven't lost weight, but my body shape is changing; muscle replacing fat, I
assume. Any signs that maybe your weight has plateaued (oof, what a word) but
your body is still changing?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 11th 05, 10:30 PM
polonca12000

Wow, congrats! What a great achievement! You should really be proud of
yourself!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip I'm well - 41lbs lighter than at the middle

Old March 12th 05, 02:21 AM
O J

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I've noticed since starting my kickboxing (sort of) class in December ...

I think I read you mention your "kickboxing (sort of)" someplace else
as well. How do you do "kickboxing (sort of)"? Are you supposed to
just be boxing but cheat? Don't your opponent and the referee get a
little upset? G

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old March 12th 05, 03:34 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-12, O J penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I've noticed since starting my kickboxing (sort of) class in December ...

I think I read you mention your "kickboxing (sort of)" someplace else as
well. How do you do "kickboxing (sort of)"? Are you supposed to just be
boxing but cheat? Don't your opponent and the referee get a little upset?

Regards and Purrs, O J

Oh ...

Well, I'll try to make this short, but I apologize in advance because I adore
talking about martial arts and get few chances to do it, so I tend to have
trouble shutting up.

To me, kickboxing = mu thai, a specific and particularly brutal/bad@$$ martial
art.

I have a long history of taekwondo interspersed with a few months here and
there of other arts, and a few long gaps where I wasn't practicing at all.

So, when I hear about kickboxing, I think of two things: the "real"
kickboxing, mu thai, which almost no one in the US means when they talk about
kickboxing; and the "fake" kickboxing, which seems to me to be a form of
glorified taebo, which is already a diluted (in my opinion dangerously so)
form of a striking martial art.[1]

The class I attend fits into neither of these two categories.

I was burned badly in a contract dispute with my old martial arts studio, and
I simply refuse to sign a contract anymore for the privelege of taking martial
arts classes. There's more to it, but that's the simple version. Most schools
require a contract, so I haven't been able to affiliate myself with a school
properly. And I guess my ego has been too great to consider dropping in to
one of the above-mentioned "fake" kickboxing classes.

Then a friend of mine, new to the area and looking for a martial arts school,
found a kickboxing class and asked if I'd like to join her. It turns out to
be exactly what I need -- no contracts or commitments. It's an aerobic
workout using real TKD moves. It's set to music, which weirded me out at
first but which I've come to enjoy. The instructor is a real martial artist,
so he insists that we use proper technique and comes up with plausible
combinations. The majority of the students are taking it as a supplement to
the TKD classes offered at the school, with a handful who, like me, have
experience in martial arts and want a good workout without all the baggage.
It's a good class.

I should mention that we don't spar in this class. Occasionally we do some
more dynamic drills, but we never really spar (except for a minute or two in
the last class, when the instructor encouraged me to spar with him, and that
was light-contact and really just for fun; he didn't do it with any of the
other students). If we sparred in the class and I had some strong opponents,
that would make the class perfect for me.

So, anyway, long story short, to me, kickboxing = mu thai, and what we're
doing isn't mu thai, hence "sort of" kickboxing.

[1] I should point out that this distinction is a bit hypocritical,
because a lot of martial artists believe that TKD itself is a poser art,
mostly because the vast majority of TKD schools really are utter crap
(or call themselves karate). Find a good one, though, and you can learn
a lot.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 12th 05, 06:13 AM
O J

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, I'll try to make this short, but I apologize in advance because I adore
talking about martial arts and get few chances to do it, so I tend to have
trouble shutting up.

You and me both. I could ramble ad nauseam.

To me, kickboxing = mu thai, a specific and particularly brutal/bad@$$ martial
art.

Mui Thai (as I've mostly seen it spelled, pardon me if we spell it
differently) is undoubtedly the toughest and probably as good a way to
fight with boxing gloves that there is.

---------------------snip----------------------

The class I attend fits into neither of these two categories.

I was burned badly in a contract dispute with my old martial arts studio, and
I simply refuse to sign a contract anymore for the privelege of taking martial
arts classes. There's more to it, but that's the simple version. Most schools
require a contract, so I haven't been able to affiliate myself with a school
properly. And I guess my ego has been too great to consider dropping in to
one of the above-mentioned "fake" kickboxing classes.

To thine own self be true! On the other hand, commuting forever to
get to a dojo is a pain.

Then a friend of mine, new to the area and looking for a martial arts school,
found a kickboxing class and asked if I'd like to join her. It turns out to
be exactly what I need -- no contracts or commitments. It's an aerobic
workout using real TKD moves. It's set to music, which weirded me out at
first but which I've come to enjoy. The instructor is a real martial artist,
so he insists that we use proper technique and comes up with plausible
combinations. The majority of the students are taking it as a supplement to
the TKD classes offered at the school, with a handful who, like me, have
experience in martial arts and want a good workout without all the baggage.
It's a good class.

Sounds like a good combination. Normally, an instructor making
changes to the art raises doubts, but you said he also teaches
straight Tae Kwan Do, so my impulse would be to go for it.

I should mention that we don't spar in this class. Occasionally we do some
more dynamic drills, but we never really spar (except for a minute or two in
the last class, when the instructor encouraged me to spar with him, and that
was light-contact and really just for fun; he didn't do it with any of the
other students). If we sparred in the class and I had some strong opponents,
that would make the class perfect for me.

Freesparring is something I never really enjoyed. If you pay
attention though, it will point out your weaknesses. Me, I tend to
lean back and cover up too much in response to a high attack with the
hands.

So, anyway, long story short, to me, kickboxing = mu thai, and what we're
doing isn't mu thai, hence "sort of" kickboxing.

Gotcha!

[1] I should point out that this distinction is a bit hypocritical,
because a lot of martial artists believe that TKD itself is a poser art,
mostly because the vast majority of TKD schools really are utter crap
(or call themselves karate). Find a good one, though, and you can learn
a lot.

Since Tae Kwan Do became an Olympic event, it's been one of the more
visible arts. That makes it prone to posers opening schools to 'get
the cash'. I have no problem with Tae Kwan Do being an event. Any
karate or kick-boxing practitioner can aspire to compete, it's just
that the matches and scoring will be done by Tae Kwan Do rules and use
standard Tae Kwan Do equipment. As to my personal opinion, if you
want to get tough, the "Way of Korean Hands" is as good as any -- very
strong on free sparring and very oriented toward practical techniques.

I myself am just a beginner at Hakko-Ryu JuJutsu, I only have a first
grade of black belt. I had tried a few other arts and have lower
colored belts in Go-Ju (hard - soft) karate, Aikido, and a little
Judo, but the JuJutsu seemed to suit me.

I told you I could ramble as well as anyone! Anyway, thanks for
clearing that up.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old March 12th 05, 09:07 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-12, O J penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, I'll try to make this short, but I apologize in advance because I
adore talking about martial arts and get few chances to do it, so I tend to
have trouble shutting up.

You and me both. I could ramble ad nauseam.

[snip]

I had more stuff to say, but I figured no one else here would be interested,
so I mailed it to you directly.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 17th 05, 12:42 AM
Charleen Welton

[...]

Hi Helen,

Good to hear from you and to know that all is well. Many of us are lurking
these days and some have left because of the volume of posts. I'm sure glad
that I am retired and have the time to read all/most all of them.

Congratulations on your weight loss. Dr. Headache put me on a medicine
called Topomax, which I take every night. It has resulted in fewer
headaches and a 30 pound weight loss. Here's hoping I keep it off, and hope
that you have no trouble keeping yours off!

Good news that your owners are well. Ours are getting up there in age but
are very healthy.*
*AggieMarble has asmatha and takes Prendisone every other day with no
problems. Mr. Pumpkin is 14, Aggie is 13, and Victor Velcro, the resident
terrorist is eight years old.

Why is Marble named Marble? Our Aggie Marble is named so because she is a
black and silver tabby and her pattern looks similar to the large glass
marbles (aggies) we played with in elementray school.

It took me a bit of a while to reply to your post, sorry. My very dear
father-in-law and mother-in- law hit a bad patch and I went to help them.
All their children and spouses work, I was free to go. My F-I-L is an only
child but very much the patriarch of the family, even though he lives here
in Florida and the rest of the family is spread through the mid-West. A
special Aunt passed away in Iowa, about 800 miles away. The folks decided
to drive there, a three day trip. At the service my M-I-L caught her shoe
heel on the door of the car while getting out. No one realized it at the
time but she broke her leg. For the next two days she just took it easy
thinking she sprained it. When they left to go home they both developed
nasty, nasty colds. It was a terrible ride home. The second day back Carl
took Jackie to the doctor where the leg was x-rayed and the break was
discovered. Home they went with all kinds of med, a cast, a million
questions and needing to have lots of things done. So I went over and spent
a couple of days and nights helping them out. The colds are gone but her
leg hurts, his back hurts. She can't cook because she in a wheelchair, and
he can't cook because he can't cook. I went over again the other day and
will go again to do laundry and such. They are dear sweet people.

I'm rambling on here, sorry, but glad to know all is well with you and
yours. Getting reading for "Sonya Had Her Kittens Party!

Charleen

Old March 17th 05, 01:40 AM
Helen Miles

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I've noticed since starting my kickboxing (sort of) class in December that I
haven't lost weight, but my body shape is changing; muscle replacing fat, I
assume.//

I've had this problem since I started seriously skating and playing
ice-hockey on a daily basis. I feel great and look good, but there's
this little voice in the back of my head that equates weight with fat.
(If that makes sense).

So I solve the little voice, and eat chocolate. ;o)

Helen M (Who lost 54lbs last year)

Introducing Helen Helen Whyte Cat anecdotes 30 December 31st 04 06:17 AM
Ping Helen Wheels badwilson Cat anecdotes 4 July 6th 04 02:44 AM
*Ping* Helen S GraceCat Cat anecdotes 1 February 29th 04 08:20 PM
PING Yowie - Share a story, please? Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 6 December 14th 03 02:15 PM