Nadia's improvement

Old April 1st 05, 03:37 PM
Debra Berry

Default Nadia's improvement

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give an update on Nadia, my foster cat. She is doing
very well, I am pleased to say! Her right eye is still clouded,
but the infection appears to be gone and neither eye is goopy
anymore. She plays like a maniac and loves the feline flyer toy.
She'll catch the feather in her mouth and then drag the stick around
the room.

I'm pretty sure she was in heat for about a week. You've never seen
so much rolling, rubbing, and butt up in the airing! Not much yowling
I'm glad to say. Yesterday she seemed back to normal with just the
regular amount of friendliness.

We have an appointment at the vet on Sat morning for her to get her
shots (she was too sick to get them when I first got her) and get
checked out for her spay and dental. When the vet originally saw
her we were told that should might need many of her teeth removed
because they look so bad. They'll probably check her out better when
she is asleep for the spay and possibly do the dental at the same
time if it isn't too involved.

Because she had ulcers in her mouth and bad teeth, she couldn't eat
dry food for a long time. I feed her mostly wet, but she seems to
like the Royal Canin Babycat food - it's really tiny pieces. She
and her kittens were given that before I got her. I've tried her on
regular adult food, but she still had problems eating it. I guess
her mouth is still sore. I don't want to keep her on kitten food
because she isn't too skinny and that has 1/3 more calories than the
adult food. A friend suggested putting the adult food in the blender
to break it up, but it pulverized it too much. Anyone have an idea
on a reasonably efficient and effective way to break up the adult food
into smaller pieces without turning it into dust?

Thanks for all your purrs and good thoughts!

Debbie Berry

Old April 1st 05, 05:05 PM
KittyLady

So happy to hear that she is feeling better. This may sound crazy but
maybe you could put the food in a baggie and use a rubber mallett to
break it up with out crushing it.
Purrs that she gets her teeth better and that her spay goes well and
that she is well enough for her shots come vet day.
Skritches
The KittyLady

Old April 1st 05, 05:20 PM
Karen

"Debra Berry" wrote in message

[...]

What about just putting it in a plastic baggie and banging it with a meat
mallet? You could control crush size better. I am glad she is feeling
better.

Old April 1st 05, 09:06 PM
Julie Cook

Debra Berry wrote:

[...]

Purrs continue for Nadia's health to improve and for the spay and dental
to go well. Selena has had dental problems for most of her life and has
ultimately lost all but 5 teeth (two felines [she says she doesn't have
canines] and three in between). She has skin allergies that would cause
small eruptions of sores on her skin. When she had gum disease she
would transfer the bacteria from her gums to the sores when she would
bathe which would make the sores worse. It was a vicious circle.
Things improved a great deal when she lost most her teeth and now that
I've had to quit smoking in the house she has improved even more.

Hopefully having her teeth cleaned and any bad teeth pulled with help
Nadia's health improve even more.

Julie, Hobbes, Selena, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus

Old April 2nd 05, 02:32 AM
CATherine

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:37:20 -0500, Debra Berry
wrote:

It is good to hear about Nadia's improvement. She must think she is
Shangri-La now. Purrs that she gets everything done at the vet soon so
she can get back to playing with the Feathered Flyer.

--
CATherine
Old April 2nd 05, 03:05 AM
-L.

Debra Berry wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give an update on Nadia, my foster cat.

snip

Glad she is feeling better!

Anyone have an idea
on a reasonably efficient and effective way to break up the adult

food
into smaller pieces without turning it into dust?

Put it in a thick baggie and crush it with a hard object like a hammer
or big stone. Don't pound - just press. The pieces should shatter
into thirds or so.

HTH,
-L.

Old April 2nd 05, 05:36 PM
melizabeth

I'm glad Nadia has improved. she must feel great

Old April 4th 05, 03:56 PM
Debra Berry

Thanks so much for all the purrs and good thoughts. Nadia saw
the vet on Sat and the vet feels that she is doing well. She
got her shots and a good exam. The vet wants to wait until after
her next distemper shot (in 3 weeks) to do her spay and dental
work. She is relieved, I'm sure :-).

Debbie Berry