OT How to play nice at job interview

Old May 15th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT How to play nice at job interview

2 week notice leave it at that
you going to have to bow down and take one tell your boss that your are
leaving and apologize about it tell him when you plan to leave and see if
that is convenient for him and that you are willing to postpone the date for
their convince to find another person but only allow to a certain date in
case they try and take advantage
If possible ask for a letter of reference

This is the time to bow and be humble instead of where is the bear trap and
the chair your boss sits in

"Singh" wrote in message
I go back to work Wednesday, and I'm frankly nervous. They will not move
me out of the position, but did change my schedule so I can go to the
therapist. I suppose that's better than nothing.

Now I have an agency who said I was quite qualified for an office
position and they want to speak with me next week. And I know they'll
ask why I'm looking to leave the bank. I'm thinking "my shrink told me
to" is not going to be a very nice answer, but the fact is that I was
told by three mental health professionals to get off the phone bank and
into a place that is more behind the scenes and where my contact with
either internal or external people is minimal. Not that I'm not nice or
pleasant to be around, but frankly the phones are killing me. The
workplace itself is killing me. Before I went on leave I had edema and
was hovering on diabetic. Now, away from the atmosphere and the
poisonous cafeteria, I'm thirty pounds lighter, my legs are normal, my
sugar is low without drugs. I want to keep it that way.

Now, how do you tell someone the reason you're looking for a one-way
ticket out of Hell? And how to tell your boss to take your job and shove
it, wothout damaging any future job references? Help!

Blessed be,
Baha

Old May 15th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Singh" wrote in message
I go back to work Wednesday, and I'm frankly nervous. They will not move
me out of the position, but did change my schedule so I can go to the
therapist. I suppose that's better than nothing.

Now I have an agency who said I was quite qualified for an office
position and they want to speak with me next week. And I know they'll
ask why I'm looking to leave the bank. I'm thinking "my shrink told me

I'd just be honest with them, but not too specific. Just say, "I'm not
happy in my current position, I don't feel comfortable doing phone help."

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 15th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Singh wrote:
[...]

You could just be vague and tell them you're looking for a position in
a less stressful environment? I think some places of work are snake
pits WRT dealing with nasty people (customers and co-workers alike),
even when you love the job itself. . I imagine most employers know
that. I don't see any reason to get specific. Good luck with the job!

Sherry

Old May 15th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-15, Singh penned:
I go back to work Wednesday, and I'm frankly nervous. They will not
move me out of the position, but did change my schedule so I can go
to the therapist. I suppose that's better than nothing.

Is it legally enough, though? I wonder.

Now, how do you tell someone the reason you're looking for a one-way
ticket out of Hell? And how to tell your boss to take your job and
shove it, wothout damaging any future job references? Help!

You're right that they will ask why you're leaving your current
position. It's always better to focus on the future rather than dwell
on the past. You never, ever want to badmouth your previous employer,
because if you do, the prospective employer will figure that's what
you'll do when you leave them, too.

Be honest, but also focused on what it is that you want from the new
job. Say things like, "I'm looking for a chance to work with [XYZ
that also just happens to be an important part of the new job]." Or,
if the new job you're looking at has chances to try different things,
"I'd already mastered the skills necessary for my old position, and I
am looking for new challenges."

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 15th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT How to play nice at job interview LONG

On 2006-05-15, Singh penned:
I go back to work Wednesday, and I'm frankly nervous. They will not
move me out of the position, but did change my schedule so I can go
to the therapist. I suppose that's better than nothing.
Now, how do you tell someone the reason you're looking for a one-way
ticket out of Hell? And how to tell your boss to take your job and
shove it, wothout damaging any future job references? Help!

You're right that they will ask why you're leaving your current
on the past. You never, ever want to badmouth your previous employer,

because if you do, the prospective employer will figure that's what
you'll do when you leave them, too.
if the new job you're looking at has chances to try different things,
"I'd already mastered the skills necessary for my old position, and I
am looking for new challenges."
monique

I like the last sentence of above advice! Use current buzzwords of HR
approval like "new challenges", and "opportunities"...."limited advancement
where I am now"...plus last sentence above. Tell your present bank (even
close pals there!) NOTHING until you have been hired by another
employer......then as little as possible..appropriate termination notice
time sequence. I can't speak for banks, but this is a fact of hospital work:
almost all are so afraid of ex-employee lawsuits that they will tell
inquiring
parties to HR - indefinitely - only date you started and date you ended
employment w/them, PERIOD. If asked, "would you hire this employee
again?" by prospective new employer or reference checker, they will only
give an answer to this in-house (that is, if inquirer is one of their sister
entities owned by same corporation). The lawsuit-happy USA environment
has one good factor: this...former employers afraid to badmouth YOU, in
many instances.
Just the same, let butter not melt in your mouth where you are now till you
are out the door and working somewhere else (around present boss and
fellow employees: trust no one). Best of luck. Hope you have a good
recruiter(s).

Old May 15th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Working the phone bank was a negative environment. Dealing with upset
customers all day. I'm looking for a more positive, and creative
environment. To bring out the best in me. I have so much to offer."
[big smile]

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Old May 15th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
"Working the phone bank was a negative environment. Dealing with upset
customers all day. I'm looking for a more positive, and creative
environment. To bring out the best in me. I have so much to offer."
[big smile]

Creative and EXCELLENT!.

Old May 15th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:

I can't speak for banks, but this is a fact of hospital work:
almost all are so afraid of ex-employee lawsuits that they will tell
inquiring
parties to HR - indefinitely - only date you started and date you ended
employment w/them, PERIOD. If asked, "would you hire this employee
again?"

I think those three questions are all the law in the U.S.
ALLOWS them to ask/answer. I'm not sure they're even
allowed to ask whether you left voluntarily. (A bit
frustrating for a prospective employer, since if you left to
avoid criminal prosecution, they can't be told that, either,
but that's the way it is.)

On the other hand, the "elligible for rehire" question can
be a bit misleading, too - some firms make it their policy
never to rehire former employees! (In which case the answer
would have to be "no", even though they liked your work very
much.)

Old May 15th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
[...]

I'll tell you something....remember reading about (they pop up in headlines
once in awhile) several mostly-but-not-all-male nurse-murderers, most of
whom got life terms for offing their patients for various reasons (usually
by means of an overdose of a heart-stopping IV med)? Well, guess what
their next employer's HR reference check got told by the hospital/nursing
home
that fired them for suspicious or outright blatant drug-snagging and/or
using/taking
opioids meant for patients?
It isn't really funny, but.....date employment started, date employment
ended, period.
When I worked at the Level 1 trauma center (heavy duty, heli-pad on roof)
one
especially nasty, bitchy *male* intensive-care (neuro) nurse was caught
stashing
dope-pain-meds for his own use instead of giving them to the patients they
were
intended for (how? patients he nursed --over a period of time - screaming
for pain
relief they were supposed to have gotten; not all neuro patients are out of
their minds
in there) and guess what his punishment was?
Transferred to newborn pediatric floor and access to drug-dispensing
apparatus taken
away from him, permanently! This was in 1990; hopefully they insist now on
offender
going through a drug rehab program, of which there were excellent ones right
there
in that hospital....enlightening, no?