Cat dermatologist?

Old August 18th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Cat dermatologist?

Is there such a thing as a cat dermatologist? I think Nanki-Poo needs one.

A couple of years ago, I noticed a bald spot on the back of his neck. It
was perfectly round, about the size of a penny. There were tiny blood
spots. My first thought was that a bird had pulled out a beakful of hair.
The spot bothered him, and he started digging at it. He ended up with a
nasty wound on the back of the neck, and it took quite a while to clear it
up. Even though I was using Frontline, TED was convinced it was a flea
allergy. She ignored my theory about the bird.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a similar spot on the back of his neck, so
I took him to TED right away. She found a similar spot on the side of his
neck. This time, neither spot bothered him, and he hasn't dug at them at
all. TED shaved around the spots and cleaned them. She also gave him a
steroid shot, and gave me some antibiotic pills to give him and told me to
come back in two weeks. She also gave (sold) me some very expensive
hypoallergenic food, because this time she had decided it was a food
allergy.

He wouldn't eat the food, although Lindy ate some of it. I finally went
back to their regular food. When we went back, the spots were pretty well
healed. However, they have become red and raw looking again.

I don't see how it could be a food allergy, since he gets pretty much the
same food all the time. He is an indoor-outdoor cat, and I suspect it could
be an allergy to something he encounters outdoors, but only occasionally.

I'm going to have to take him back to the doctor on Monday, unless I can
come up with an alternative solution. She offered me a different kind of
hypoallergenic food last time, and I turned it down. She'll probably push
it this time. She is also likely to tell me to keep him in the house.
Unfortunately, Lindy can open the cat door if I lock it, and does as soon
as she finds it locked. That means the only way I could keep him in the
house would be to shut him in one room. I did that when he was really sick
soon after I got him, but doing it when he's perfectly healthy is another
thing. He would be miserable. Also, the only room that would work is now
filled with fernows (I'll put it here for now and figure out what to do with
it later), so he'd be really cramped.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

--
Joy

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never
forgotten this.

Old August 18th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 18, 4:58 pm, "Joy" wrote:
[...]

Don't have any suggestions, but that's really weird, isn't it? I'm
afraid I
don't know much about allergies. I hope Cheryl sees this. She's very
knowledgeable about skin allergies from trying to help Shamrock. She's
done about everything humanly possible to help him.
I bet there is an animal dermitologist in most larger cities. At least
an
animal allergist. I drive by a sign in Oklahoma City that says "Animal
Allergy Clinic." I used to think it was for *people* who were allergic
to animals. Found out later it is for the animals!

Sherry

Old August 18th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 18, 4:58 pm, "Joy" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Sherry. I'll do an Internet search and see what I can find.

Joy

Old August 18th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I don't see how it could be a food allergy, since he gets pretty
much the same food all the time.

Human and cat food allergies are pretty similar, and it's not at all
unusual for a human to develop an allergy to something they've been
eating regularly for decades. It's also not unusual for formulations
of processed foods (either for humans or animals) to change without
warning and without adequate documentation on the packet.

Since the problem did clear up as a result of the elimination diet,
it looks like your vet is onto something. Stick with it.

One problem that is common with human food allergies is for people
to be addicted to foods that make them ill - the allergic reaction
releases morphine-like substances and you literally get withdrawal
symptoms when removing the offending food from your diet. (This
seems to be most common with wheat and dairy allergies). It
wouldn't surprise me if a cat reacted the same way. In humans, the
withdrawal phase usually lasts two weeks to a month.

Old August 18th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gennie

There is an animal veterinary clinic that I've seen in Marina del Rey

http://www.animaldermatology.com/han...ate&cpid=14749

Animal Dermatology Clinic
Marina del Rey
13286 Fiji Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
(310) 822-3376 phone
(310) 306-9623 fax

We specialize in diagnosing and treating:
Chronic and severe skin and ear disease
Immune mediated and hormonal skin disease
Nail and nail bed diseases
Skin manifestations of internal disease

Wayne Rosenkrantz, DVM, Dip ACVD
Rudayna Ghubash, DVM, Dip ACVD
Kinga Gortel, MS, Diplomate ACVD
Christina Restrepo, DVM
Allison Kirby, DVM

Gennie

Old August 19th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Bam-Bam gets similar, mostly on the front and sides of his neck,
occasionally on a cheek. We noticed the first one after he picked a fight
with Barney. And there was a tuft of white fur on the floor near where the
skirmish broke out. No such marks on Barney. Seems that Bam-Bam is a
bully - just not much of a fighter (more of a lover, actually)! Seems he
gets the worst out of the fights he picks - no matter who the oponnent is!

--
http://www.firstgiving.com/nalee1131964
About my charity:

Old August 19th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-08-18 16:58:38 -0500, "Joy" said:

[...]

It really could be a food allergy. It's the most common reason besides
flea allergy I believe. Currently Pearl has a bald spot on her neck but
it is not irritated at all, so I think she grabbed a chunk of hair out
with her toe. But "hot spots" seem to be related to food and they *can*
become allergic (as we can) to anything at any time. Very often, it can
be to grains. You might see if you can get some grainless wet foods and
feed just that for a while. Wellness has some (look for the little
triangle symbol on the label) and there are a few Fancy Feast flavors
that do not have grains in them (you just have to read the labels:
chicken gourmet feast and tender beef are two that are grain free.)
Many cats with bad allergies have turned around on a raw diet, but that
is a tricky proposition to make raw food at home and switch them.
Allergies just suck all the way around.

Old August 19th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

Lindy and Nanki-Poo don't fight, but there are other cats in the
neighborhood. However, it seems strange that all three of the sores have
started out being almost perfectly round.

Joy

Old August 19th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 2007-08-18 16:58:38 -0500, "Joy" said:

[...]

I suppose it could be a food allergy. However, my vet is adamant that a
little wet food is okay, but they should have mostly dry food. I've noticed
that both sores look a little better than they did when I posted.

Joy