The litter saga

Old March 26th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Default The litter saga

I need to post something to get the cheesburgers out of my head.

I continue to have misgivings about the clumping litter I am using. I
was using the Scoop Away which I mentioned here as I remember. It
created a lot of dust which got over everything and stunk the whole place
of the perfume in it. I tried Phil's suggestion of pouring it back and
forth outside first and that helped but it was still bad. I have now
gone through two boxes of a name brand scoopable (the name just jumped
out of my head) which was better

BUT

I continue to worry about the amount of litter dust that coat the cats
coats (he he) which make them smell like cheap whores and much worse
which they ingest. I _have_ put my large air filter in the cats' room
which _has_ greatly lessened the amount of dust around the house but the
cats are still exposed to it.

So I just picked up a box of Swheat Scoop.

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

I don't really know how it will work out. It will be a few days, at
least, until I get one litterbox switched to the wheat litter. I am
currently trying to read all the company's propaganda but I can't see it
being worse than the other stuff. My next step is to just dump the idea
of the scoopable because I don't really know what got me on that in the
first place since I was always happy with normal little.

Any comment are welcome and I will report back in a week or so about how
the brothers liked the wheat litter (with the really stupid name).

damn it! I still want burgers!

Andy
Old March 26th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Any comment are welcome and I will report back in a week or so about how
the brothers liked the wheat litter (with the really stupid name).

damn it! I still want burgers!

Andy

I used to use clumping litter, and liked it a lot. It's quite convenient.
However, Nancy really preferred pine litter ("Feline Pine" and the like)
for it's odor-hiding power. I've got to say that since we switched to pine
(over a year ago) the cats haven't seemed to mind, and it does seem to
make the litter box cleaning a little simpler. The little pellets of pine
turn to sawdust when they get wet.

Old March 26th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Matthew" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/36jy5t just for you Andy

Excellent!

Old March 26th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Daniel Mahoney wrote in
news
Any comment are welcome and I will report back in a week or so about
how the brothers liked the wheat litter (with the really stupid
name).

damn it! I still want burgers!

Andy

I used to use clumping litter, and liked it a lot. It's quite
convenient. However, Nancy really preferred pine litter ("Feline Pine"
and the like) for it's odor-hiding power. I've got to say that since
we switched to pine (over a year ago) the cats haven't seemed to mind,
and it does seem to make the litter box cleaning a little simpler. The
little pellets of pine turn to sawdust when they get wet.

After reading a bit more I think my non-clumping choice (if I go that way)
will also be non clay. Odor control is important to me; I have not been
totally happy with the scented clumping stuff. I still smell it when I
come in from the outside abut 30% of the time. I imagine it depends on the
air flow and the timing. I am trying to work out better ventilation but
not sure how that will work out so better control at the litter is
important and, as I said, I am not married to the clumping idea. This was
never a problem with one cat and one box located in the bathroom.
Old March 26th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Matthew"

"outsider"
[...]

G Yummy recipe Matthew drool
Now, back to the litter thingy, yeah, Andy, I know what you mean about the
litter dust problem.
Most of the 'brand'names, like Tidy Cat, is that the one you were using?
even tho they SAY 99% dust free, it's still that one% that gets to ya.
When I scoop the 2 boxes, at least 3 times a day, ( we buy the store brand
name), it still has the blasted dust in it, and I wear a 'mask' to protect
me from the dust, but worry about the cat's getting the dust into their
systems. We tried one that was 'corn' and the cats didn't like that one at
all. And it tracked all over the place, which was a real bummer.
I'd even tried some 'flushable' litter, but gave up on that, not wanting to
contaminate the water around here, and it's illegal to use in Calif, as
well. hmmmm...
IDK if my cats would like the wheat one either, so we just buy the 'jugs'
from the store.
And I keep a window open in the litterbox room (with a screen on it) and
they 'go' in there and then jump up and take a breath of fresh air from the
window sill.
It's too cold near Seattle to keeep any of the doors and windows open
sooooo.
I guess I haven't been much help, but wanted to put my 2 cents in there
Anyhooo
Good luck with that 'wonderful' problem you're having.
Kyla
--head scooper of da poopers

Old March 26th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in
:

"Matthew"

"outsider"
[...]

I do not like the idea of flushing the litter but I like the stuff to
bio-degrade rather than fill a landfill. I will post my experience with
the wheat stuff and whatever else I try. Then I will address the diet
issue. Marina be ready to answer questions.

Andy
Old March 26th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

I used to use clumping litter, and liked it a lot. It's quite convenient.
However, Nancy really preferred pine litter ("Feline Pine" and the like)
for it's odor-hiding power.

I tried Feline Pine once, and I didn't notice any improvement in the
odor problem. And I found all that sawdust at the bottom of the box
(the result of having a cat pee on the pellets) a real pain in the butt
to get rid of. So I guess I'd have to say that pine litter didn't work
out too well for me. :-/

I like a type of clumping litter called Smart Litter. I get it in a
local small chain store called Pet Food Express. There aren't that many
of them in my area, and I don't think the chain has spread outside the
area, so that wouldn't be an option for most people. However, I'm not
sure whether Smart Litter is a house brand or just something they carry.
I've never seen it in any other store. Has anyone?

I really have to get around to ordering one of those Litter Lifters,
or whatever they're called. It's some kind of "magic" scooping device
that makes shaking the scooper unnecessary, and therefore, poorly
clumped litter clumps *don't* fall apart.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old March 27th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

Matthew wrote:
"outsider" wrote in message
[...]

Matthew, you sir are CRUEL!

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe, who, but for a hanky would have drooled
all over his keyboard
Old March 27th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:24:14 -0700, "Kyla =^..^="
wrote:

Most of the 'brand'names, like Tidy Cat, is that the one you were using?
even tho they SAY 99% dust free, it's still that one% that gets to ya.

99% dust free still means more than an ounce and a half of dust per
ten pound sack.

Bud
Old March 27th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Mar 26, 5:34*pm, wrote:
Daniel Mahoney wrote:

[...]

Yes, try one of those! It's not often I really hawk a product, but I
sure do like that thing.
Very efficient and doesn't waste near so much litter. I need to order
a 2nd one for the
other bathroom.

Sherry