Wandering Cat

Old December 16th 04, 08:19 PM
Zythophile

Default Wandering Cat

My 5 year old moggie has just developed wanderlust. I moved house about a
year ago and expected problems then. But she's been fine until about 6 weeks
ago. Now she's gone missing twice in 6 weeks for about 12 days each.

She's been found and returned both times, after a poster campaign by me &
the kids; the first time by someone about a kilometre away and the second
time by a neighbour about 50 m away. I live in a city centre, so a 1 km
radius gives lots of hiding spaces and lots of potential new homes. On both
occaisions she's returned in good condition and well fed - in fact a bit too
well fed. I suspect that she's found a second home somewhere.

I've had her microchipped mainly because she loses any collar I put on her
within a week. In hindsight, I think that was pointless - there are so many
alley cats around here that if everyone reported every potential stray, the
RSPCA would be snowed under.

Does anyone have any suggestions to discourage her wandering? She's too old
and to become a housecat, and to be honest, I've never had a housecat. I
find it difficult enough to keep the cats indoors for a couple of days after
they've been in the cattery. The fortnight I had to keep them confined to
barracks when I moved house was sheer hell for me and I don't think they
enjoyed it much either.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Old December 17th 04, 01:08 PM
Wendy

"Zythophile" wrote in message
[...]

Build an enclosure for her in your yard.

Old December 17th 04, 01:47 PM
Patscga

Since you're treating your cat like it's a feral animal, that's the way it's
going to behave.
Pat

Old December 17th 04, 04:50 PM
Zythophile

"Wendy" wrote in message

Build an enclosure for her in your yard.

I've thought of that, but I'm worried that it would be just as constraining
for her as being a housecat. I don't like to see any animal confined. I'm
beginning to think that I'll just have to try to find a new home for her in
the sticks. I think it's a case of, "You can take the cat out of the
countryside, but you can't take the countryside out of the cat."

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

51° 37' 23" N, 3° 56' 27" W

Old December 17th 04, 06:31 PM
Scott Buchanan

It sound like that it is time to let her go. Go to a home that she chooses.
Cats know how to find a good home if they want. Chances are she will come
back to visit on occasion.

Old December 17th 04, 06:45 PM
Zythophile

"Scott Buchanan" wrote in message
It sound like that it is time to let her go. Go to a home that she
chooses.
Cats know how to find a good home if they want. Chances are she will come
back to visit on occasion.

If I *knew* that she was going somewhere where she is safe and being looked
after, I'd happily let her go. I suspect that's the case as she certainly
doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects from her wanderings.

However, if someone does think she's a stray and wants to take her in, I
would expect that they'd take her to the vet for a check up. if they did
that, the vet would scan her and my details would be picked up from the
microchip.

As that's obviously not happening, I'm not totally convinced that she's just
not fending for herself. The balance of probability is that she's found a
second home. For my own peace of mind, I'd just like to know for sure. I
suppose I'm being too soft - cats are amazingly good at looking after
themselves and that includes finding someone to feed them and let them curl
up in front of the fire.
51° 37' 23" N, 3° 56' 27" W

Old December 17th 04, 09:08 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.pets.cats.misc.] On 2004-12-17, Zythophile
penned:

As that's obviously not happening, I'm not totally convinced that she's just
not fending for herself. The balance of probability is that she's found a
second home. For my own peace of mind, I'd just like to know for sure. I
suppose I'm being too soft - cats are amazingly good at looking after
themselves and that includes finding someone to feed them and let them curl
up in front of the fire.

Does she wear a collar? Can you somehow attach a little note-vial?

Just a (weird) thought. I suppose a GPS unit would be too big for a cat to
carry =P

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 17th 04, 09:41 PM
BC

Zythophile wrote:
[...]

This might sound a bit daft but I dont suppose you could do some sort of
poster to find out whos been feeding her, and then work out if they
would like to keep her or just contact you every time she goes there.
The only other alternative i can see apart from finding her a new home
is to start again as if you had just moved in. Keep her in for a week
and treat her like a queen then try letting her out again and see if she
works, but that really doesn't sound like it would suit her.

--
Badger Badger Badger
Old December 17th 04, 10:15 PM
Zythophile

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Does she wear a collar? Can you somehow attach a little note-vial?

I've bought her yet another identity collar with my name & phone no on it.
There's no reason why I couldn't attach a note vial, I think I'll go back to
the pet shop in the morning. Thx for the suggestion.

Just a (weird) thought. I suppose a GPS unit would be too big for a cat
carry =P

I've thought about this as well; does this mean we're both weird :-) I
remember watching nature documentaries in the '70s when tracking devices
were attached to lions in the Serengeti. Surely they should have been shrunk
to moggie size by now????

51° 37' 23" N, 3° 56' 27" W