Sekrit Santa Gift Exchange??

Old November 26th 11, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Default Sekrit Santa Gift Exchange??

On Nov 26, 7:44*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

"MLB" wrote
hopitus wrote:

Here it is! From another thread, here, my secretsantakittygift for
rpcc participants and
*soooo* appropriate (humans talking like cats):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d63jKihoYRg
That was easy and cheap for 2011. Now back out to RL Black Friday
rejoin the battlefields.

Loved it! * *MLB

Here's mine - to all of you AND your cats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvGktPaDAPM

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCM2nJfLD-0

Jill

I love this one. Thanks!
Old November 26th 11, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 8:31 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCM2nJfLD-0

Yeah, it's a fun song and cat appropriate I have a rather strange
memory
of being in a club (bar) with someone I dated in the 1980's. It was the
wee
hours of the morning and the band was tearing down and one of them
starting
singing "Weam a whop weam a whop" and they got a good harmony going. It
was
about 2AM and I was 24-ish. What can I say? I chimed up (a cappella) and
sang, "In the jungle the mighty jungle the lion sleeps tonight." My date
and his friends were astonished. Gee, you didn't know I could sing, did
you? LOL

If the bar hadn't been empty I'd never have done that. I don't sing in
front of a crowd. But I can still hit those notes!

Jill

1. I believe you can still hit the high notes; You never smoked.

Never smoked?! Who told you that? Back then it wasn't strictly tobacco,
either.

2. Drinking (alcohol) can produce vocalists who would otherwise never
display what talent they have.

That's true! We were drinking a very nice riesling (a German white wine).
The guy I was dating at that time had gotten the band the gig, otherwise I
wouldn't have been sitting there while they were tearing down at 2AM.

3. But drinking does not make *bad* singers sing any *better*; I have
never been able to sing, loaded
or sober; owners of that little nearby bar to the hospital I last
worked at were amazed at my talent for
driving their patrons outside to the patio when the karaoke mic was in
my hand, but never reprimanded
nor dissed my "Doo Wah Ditty" renditions; they thought it was ROFL
(remember "Doo Wah Ditty"?)

Of course I remember it! "She looked good, she looked fine, and I nearly
lost my mind".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pka6m...eature=related

Yep, Manfred Mann (and in the 1970's "Manfred Mann's Earth Band"). John
doesn't understand how I know all these old songs. Hey, I don't live in a
vacuum. I've got a radio and everything! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6P7g...eature=related
My second specialty. Got any idea how hard it is to stick the second
oldie on your karaoke machine?

I've never tried. That song is a little too gutteral (tone wise) for me.

LOL for the younger members, that thing on floor next to girl is a
*45* vinyl "record" player; long before
*8-track* (Snork; some of you know nada of 8-track!) or our current
recording advances of today.

My first record player looked like that But it also played 33-1/3rd
(RPM - revolutions per minute) albums so it had a spindle. To play 45's you
had to insert a little plastic disc into the hole in the middle of the
record so it would fit on the spindle. Fortunately I never had an 8-track
player; I jumped right on ahead to cassette tapes. I was ahead of my time,
so to speak.

4. I don't drink anymore for medical (circulation meds) but would
never sing in the sports bars I now
frequent in football season. They got a mic, etc. but would never
tolerate anything disrupting the game
viewing, LOL.

Fortunately I'm not on any medications. I'm enjoying a glass of wine at the
moment but it's just cheaper and more safe to do it at home. Of course now
that I'm a member of the island club they have several bars I could take
advantage of (and an extensive wine list) only a couple of blocks away. I
may have to buy a golf cart.

Jill

Old November 26th 11, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

2. Drinking (alcohol) can produce vocalists who would otherwise never
display what talent they have.

That's what karaoke is all about, at least in Japan. Get drunk, get up
in front of everyone and torture them with your singing*, and then insult
your boss. Fun times for all. (*If your co-workers are as drunk as you
are, the torture might be ineffective, as they won't be able to discern
how bad your singing is.)

3. But drinking does not make *bad* singers sing any *better*;

Except to the singer.

LOL for the younger members, that thing on floor next to girl is a
*45* vinyl "record" player; long before
*8-track* (Snork; some of you know nada of 8-track!) or our current
recording advances of today.

Hey, I had an 8-track player, it was part of an all-in-one stereo system
with amp, turntable and a tuner. Speakers were separate. I didn't know or
care about 8-tracks until I started wanting to tape things I heard on the
radio - then I used it all the time. I taped a bunch of stuff that I don't
think I could track down now, if I could even remember what was on them.
The tapes got stolen about 20 years ago, and I'm sure they were very useful
to the thieves.

LOL on my .sig, which as usual was selected randomly. Nobody could ever
accuse me of being an audiophile!

--
Joyce

audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.
Old November 26th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

My first record player looked like that But it also played 33-1/3rd
(RPM - revolutions per minute) albums so it had a spindle. To play 45's
you had to insert a little plastic disc into the hole in the middle of
the record so it would fit on the spindle.

I had a turntable that included a thick cylindrical object (minds out of
the gutter!) that you could put over the thin spindle, and then play 45s
without having to put the little plastic disk into each 45. You could even
stack the 45s on the thick spindle. That was much better than dealing with
the plastic disks - I always had trouble getting them to snap into the record.

Fortunately I'm not on any medications. I'm enjoying a glass of wine
at the moment but it's just cheaper and more safe to do it at home.

I'm on meds that do seem to conflict with alcohol. It's not dangerous, but
it just takes any fun I might have out of drinking. Instead of a pleasant
buzz and a more outgoing personality, I get groggy and cranky, like a 2 year
old who needs a nap. I'm a real blast at parties.

I also have occasional reactions to alcohol that I don't think is related
to meds interaction, because it happened before I started taking them. It
makes me flush and get hot in localized areas such as my ears or cheeks.
Last time I had some beer (about 2/3 of a bottle), my whole face, my ears,
and my forearms got extremely hot and I broke out in a major sweat. My
forearms went bright red. My face might've also been red, but I wasn't
near a mirror. It was kind of like the mother of all hot flashes, but
aside from these alcohol reactions, I don't get hot flashes anymore. I
had to go lie down until it subsided. Like I said, I'm a real blast.
It's a bummer, because I enjoy the occasional beer and I love red wine,
which is almost guaranteed to produce some reaction.

Do I have an Asian ancestor I don't know about? (Asians are far more
susceptible to getting these flushes, so much so that it is often called
"Asian flush".)

Of course now
that I'm a member of the island club they have several bars I could take
advantage of (and an extensive wine list) only a couple of blocks away. I
may have to buy a golf cart.

You don't need a golf cart to drink wine!

Old November 27th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 11/26/2011 9:08 PM, hopitus wrote:
On Nov 26, 4:32 pm, wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

You didn't address me about the flushing from alcohol ingestion but if
any help to you
wondering about it: I have a relative here (in-law) who doesn't drink
for that exact
reason you describe: she describes it as allergy to alcohol or
methanol or whatever
booze is made up of. I had my little shot and she and several others
toasted with
carbonated apple juice (including grand-daughter).

I've never had a drink in my life - even the smell makes me nauseated.
The taste is *horrible* and, like medicine, it won't stay down even when
I force myself to drink it. I always end up the designated driver, but
it's no fun watching other people get drunk - what they find hilarious
gets tiresome fast.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old November 27th 11, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On Nov 26, 4:32 pm, wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I'm with you there. I've tasted various alcoholic beverages, including a
Margarita, which I was told I would love, and a spiked punch my husband
didn't even know was spiked. Alcohol is obviously an acquired taste, and
I've never seen any reason to acquire it. Fortunately, I've only been
around people who got drunk a couple of times, which was more than enough
for me.

Joy

Old November 27th 11, 08:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

You didn't address me about the flushing from alcohol ingestion but if
any help to you
wondering about it: I have a relative here (in-law) who doesn't drink
for that exact
reason you describe: she describes it as allergy to alcohol or
methanol or whatever booze is made up of.

It's intermittent, though. It never happened when I was younger. I remember
the first time it happened - I was in a Mexican restaurant, drinking beer,
when suddenly my ears got really hot. It was weird. I thought maybe I had
a little sunburn there and the alcohol just made it feel more obvious.

That was in my mid-30s. After that, it happened occasionally, but not very
often. Now it happens a lot more frequently. But there are still times that
I can drink without a problem. I don't drink very often anyway, because it
just makes me groggy, but sometimes I just really want a glass of good red
wine to go with a meal. (Or the wonderful honey wine you can get at Ethiopian
restaurants.)

Aren't allergies more consistent than that?

I had my little shot and she and several others
toasted with carbonated apple juice (including grand-daughter).

That'd be me, with the virgin drink!

--
Joyce

Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico
Old November 27th 11, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default War Stories (Reminiscing WAS: Sekrit Santa Gift Exchange??)

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 2:56 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Fortunately I'm not on any medications. I'm enjoying a glass of wine at
the
moment but it's just cheaper and more safe to do it at home. Of course
now
that I'm a member of the island club they have several bars I could take
advantage of (and an extensive wine list) only a couple of blocks away.
may have to buy a golf cart.

Jill

But...but....but.. think of what would sidle up to your seat at the
bar and start hustling you
there. Stash a whip and a chair in golf cart (or can of pepper spray
in pocket) before you
decide to socialize in the island club drinking establishments. My
tolerance level for
unwanted advancements is lower than yours so bear with me for this
line of thinking.

Of course I was joking about the golf cart. And I think you made a freudian
slip when you said "unwanted advancements". I always accepted job
promotions graciously

I don't know why you'd think my tolerance for unwanted advances is lower
than yours. As long as I'm wandering down memory lane (LOL)... the first
time I went into what became my old neighborhood hangout I was sitting there
minding my own business, chit-chatting with the bartender (Murphy) and
having a frosty cold beer. There was a guy who had already been cut off
because he was sh**faced. He left but came back in. It was my good fortune
[that's dripping with sarcasm] he decided to sit down next to me. He
offered to buy me a drink. "No thanks, I already have one." He took hold
of my upper arm and (apparently he thought this was a suave move, or he
thought I wouldn't notice) started rubbing his fingers on my breast. He
didn't see that elbow coming! I knocked him right off the bar stool The
bartender was about to call the police but then the guys wife came in and
dragged him out.

Fast forward a couple of years... By now this place was like my Cheers
(older US television show for those who don't catch the reference). I'd
meet up with my girlfriends after work and we'd unwind and rehash our day.
The bar (like Cheers) had regulars. Everybody knew everybody. One evening
a jock by the name of Charlie Waters came in sporting a Super Bowl ring.
(You know that Bruce Springsteen song "Glory Days"? Yeah, he was stuck
there.) He'd never been into the bar before. I can only assume he thought
because there were four women sitting at the bar chatting that it was a
pickup-joint. (Furthest thing from the truth; we'd go there to watch
Jeopardy. One of the regulars even went on Jeopardy and made it to the
final round then forgot to phrase it in the form of a question. Dammit!)

Anyway, this guy was wearing a Super Bowl ring. That got him a couple of
oohs and ahhhs from some of the guys, and a couple of rounds of drinks from
some of the guys. My girlfriends and I didn't give a fig one way or the
other. Besides, I was only 10 years old when this guy allegedly played in
the Super Bowl. I didn't know who he was and I didn't care. Anyway, Mr.
Glory Days got drunk and decided I was going to go home with him. He spun
my bar stool around and pulled me between his legs. About that time a dear
friend who went by the moniker "Big John" (for a good reason), stepped up.
He tapped this guy on the shoulder and said, "You're messing with the wrong
woman, buddy." Good thing, too, because that guy had no idea where I was
about to ram my knee. And I doubt he was wearing a cup

Jill

Old November 27th 11, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I've never had a drink in my life - even the smell makes me nauseated. The
taste is *horrible* and, like medicine

(snip)

How would you know that if you've never had a drink? The smell I can
understand (if you're talking about hard liquor). I don't generally drink
hard liquor but of all of them rum tends to be the one that goes down
easiest. (Spiced rum in egg nog for the holidays, you'd think you're
drinking a milkshake.) I used to make Pina Coladas for my mother in the
1970's. I was about 16. She never asked me how I knew how to make them.
Heck, I don't even remember how I knew how to make them.

Jill

Old November 27th 11, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 11/27/2011 8:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I've never had a drink in my life - even the smell makes me nauseated.
The taste is *horrible* and, like medicine

(snip)

How would you know that if you've never had a drink? The smell I can
understand (if you're talking about hard liquor). I don't generally
drink hard liquor but of all of them rum tends to be the one that goes
down easiest. (Spiced rum in egg nog for the holidays, you'd think
you're drinking a milkshake.) I used to make Pina Coladas for my mother
in the 1970's. I was about 16. She never asked me how I knew how to make
them. Heck, I don't even remember how I knew how to make them.

Jill

Let me rephrase that - I've never had a whole drink, only a sip of this
or that when friends insisted, "try this, you'll like this one since you
can't even taste the alcohol", give me a break, I can *smell* the
alcohol before it reaches my mouth. Invariably, whatever the intake,
however small, the immediate output was worse and completely ruined my
sense of taste for the night. I learned, over the years to just nod,
pretend I was taking a sip while holding my breath to try to avoid the
almost visible fumes rising from the noxious concoction. ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

No Sekrit Santa? conniepo Cat community 11 December 29th 10 02:13 PM
Thank you Sekrit santa Ann791 Cat community 0 December 20th 10 12:49 PM
Thank you Sekrit Santa Ann Cat community 2 December 15th 08 11:26 PM
Sekrit Santa Ann Cat anecdotes 0 December 19th 07 09:18 PM
Thanks you Sekrit santa Ann Cat community 0 December 26th 06 05:00 PM