How Ryan got his name

Old January 15th 05, 03:25 PM
Fred

ClowderCat wrote:

All of us are purring for Jetadiah. It sounds like you're doing
what's
best for him under the circumstances. And we're glad to hear that
he has an animal friend, even though that friend is a skunk!!!!
Chester, Clarence and Nathan

Jetadiah was around again on Friday afternoon/evening. He's still
not eating, but when the weather warms up he comes to the carport,
and when it gets cold again, he's back under the workshop. I'm not
sure what's the matter with him, if he ate something bad, or what.
He doesn't seem to be injured. Thank goodness he has a good layer
of fat for his body to feed upon, as I think he's gone six days
without food, but it's hard to tell. Some of the food was gone
this morning that I left out last night, but it's impossible to
tell who ate it. If I leave any food out during the day, the Blue
Jays gobble it up in short order.

--
Regards,
Fred, with permission of Diana and Ryan, who are also worried about
Old January 16th 05, 01:46 AM
ClowderCat

Fred wrote:
ClowderCat wrote:

[...]

Do you want us to have one of the cats who's a doctor teleport over to
talk to him? Maybe that cat can find out what's wrong and why he's not
eating.

And do you want us to teleport over to talk to him?
Chester, Clarence and Nathan

Old January 16th 05, 02:40 AM
Fred

ClowderCat wrote:

Do you want us to have one of the cats who's a doctor teleport
over to
talk to him? Maybe that cat can find out what's wrong and why
he's not eating.

And do you want us to teleport over to talk to him?
Chester, Clarence and Nathan

I've left a message on the TED's answering machine. I'll see if
they can give me an appointment on short notice, and tell me how
much an evaluation might be. I can't just make an appointment,
because I wouldn't know if I could trap Jetadiah on schedule, and I
don't want to keep him in a cage for any longer than necessary,
because it would be more stressful. He still is refusing food and
I'd hate to have him go to the bridge for something that could
easily be fixed. Yet if he's fixing to go to the bridge and
nothing can prevent it, then trapping him and taking to the TED's
is just adding stress to an already hard time. Yet I think I'd
like him to know that I tried.
Diana's first trip to TED's was somewhat stressful, but when we
were coming home she let me know that she knew it had been done to
help her, (she had ear mites), and she must have felt better. Now
if we can help Jatadiah that way, it would be great.

--
Regards,
Fred
Old January 16th 05, 03:15 AM
Miss Violette

We willz purr fur hissef anna fur you ta know what iz da rit thin fur him,
Trudi, fur her howz
Fred wrote in message
ClowderCat wrote:

I saw both your posts before I answered so I decided to answer
this one instead of both!

I'm very happy to hear that he's back.

I'm wondering why Fred doesn't go out and bring him in for awhile!
If he doesn't want to stay, he can go back out!!!

Fred;s going to pass on information with our permission. We're all
a little worried about Jetadiah, but he may be healing OK. --Diana

He's never been happy inside. He hides in the basement. There

are
two new cats inside who wouldn't leave him alone. I have noted
that he's not eating and is weak. I don't know the cause of this.
Maybe it's old age and maybe something he ate.
Jetadiah has always been unnaturally scared. It took 4 or 5 years
to get to the point where I could touch him while he ate, even
briefly. It took another two years to get to where I could stroke
him while he ate. After 8 or 9 years, this year is the first time
that I have been able to step outside the door and close the inner
door and sit with him while he eats. Last year was the first time
he seemed to enjoy the attention, yet if I stood up or opened the
door too wide, he would run away and hide. This is not just a
feral cat. He's a feral cat who likely has been badly abused in
the past and has an unnatural fear of humans and of being inside.
If he were trapped and brought in while he's is unwell, I think the
stress might be too much for him and I could do more harm than
good.
I brought him in once before, about three years ago, when it was
very cold outside and his arthritis, (I'm guessing it was
arthritis), had him limping on three legs. We got him fixed and
shots and a clean bill of health. He hid in the basement till
spring, and we chased him out. During the two or three months he
was inside, we only saw him once or twice and then only for a
second or two as he dashed for cover. The litter got used and the
food disappeared, but other than that it was like he wasn't there,
except that sometimes at night when everybody was in bed, he'd come
upstairs and try to claw through the windows to get out,
occasionally howling loud, hollow cries. He was a very unhappy cat
inside.
He has a plywood box, insulated with styrofoam and lined with a
blanket and cushions so he doesn't get matted fur from lying
directly on the styrofoam and sweating. The box is under the
workshop which itself is well insulated and gets snow piled high
around it. Even in the coldest months of the winter when it goes
-35 or even -40 degrees here, I'm sure it never goes below freezing
under the shop, because the ground is so well insulated by the
building on top of it. I've seen very cold mornings when Jetadiah
pops out looking fresh as a daisy and ready for breakfast. It's
the best possible world for his particular preferences, and given
his fear of humans and being locked in.
Even if he's getting ready to go to the bridge, I believe this is
the way he would want to go. I believe this is as comfortable as I
can make him. He came to the carport yesterday, which was the
warmest day in several weeks. He lay in a cardboard box with a
sleeping bag, which I had put out there for him in case he showed
up. In the afternoon he came up to the doorstep where I had put
tinned food, hard food, and milk and water. He never took any of
those, but when I opened the door a crack he walked by the door and
allowed me to pet him breifly. Everything was melting and a puddle
was forming under his box, so I moved it to the raised porch, but
he never returned to it. I am sure he's gone back under the shop,
where he now shares the box with a skunk, according to all
observations. Like Jetadiah says, "YOU tell him it's not his too."
They have had several adventures together since the skunk first
showed up as a baby a couple of years ago. The carport has been
sprayed by the skunk several times, but there's never any on
Jetadiah, who is quicker and much smarter than the skunk.
Yes, I suppose Puuurayers wouldn't hurt at this time. Jetadiah

had
put on a lot of weight this fall in preparation for the cold of
winter. Maybe too much and that could be the cause of the problem.
He is lighter now, but living off his fat after at least 5 days of
fasting and sleeping.
Diana and Ryan keep meowing at the door, asking me to be allowed

look out and see him. They know when he's there, but they are
going to be indoor cats, because the neighbourhood is not as safe
as it used to be years ago. New people have moved in whom we don't
know and there is a Great Grey Owl in the woods nearby. Jetadiah
is all black and even the owls good night vision can't pick him
out. I'm sure his colour has saved him many times from many
dangers, including human dangers. I don't know what the future
will bring. I'm doing everything I know to help Jetadiah and if
anybody has wisdom to offer, I'm cetainly willing to listen.

--
Regards,
Fred

Old January 16th 05, 11:56 PM
Glen A. RITCHIE

"Fred" wrote in message

Hihi Kitties,
I am Ryan, newly of the house of
Williams and I put up some photos of
mineownself showing off some of my
skills, which prompted my Hooman to
give me da nayme of Ryan. Prepare to
be amayzed and point your browsers
to :
http://www3.sympatico.ca/fred.williams2/Web001.html
At first they thought I just was
going after the flashing lights, but I hav
acktchewally come running in from the
other ruum when I heard a football,
(soccer), game on the TV to play
along. Today I helped Manchester
United beat Southampton.

--
Regards,
Fred
(Remove FFFf from my email address
to reply, if by email)

Aw-w-w, what a cute widdle kitty cat!

--
Please remember to visit
http://www.thehungersite.org

Old January 18th 05, 01:04 AM
ClowderCat

Fred wrote:
ClowderCat wrote:

[...]

Good idea. Do you know if the TED could come out to see him? Or don't
the TEDs there do that? Mom doesn't think most of them do it here!!!

Mom said that when she's had to make appointments on short notice that
they'll have her drop the cat off at TED on the way to work and pick us
up at the end of the day.

We're still purring.

Clarence

Old January 18th 05, 03:25 AM
Fred

ClowderCat wrote:

Good idea. Do you know if the TED could come out to see him? Or
don't
the TEDs there do that? Mom doesn't think most of them do it
here!!!

Mom said that when she's had to make appointments on short notice
that they'll have her drop the cat off at TED on the way to work
and pick us up at the end of the day.

We're still purring.

Fangu Clarence. I think the purrs will be needed. There's been no
sign of Jetadiah today and tonight and tomorrow will see the
weatherturn very cold. Fred thinks he's getting ready to go to the
bridge, and we're all purrin furry hard. When he came to the door
a couple of days ago he didn't want any food nor effen water. He
did want to have Fred stroke his back and we think it was to say
goodbye, and to lie on the porch again one last time and watch the
road as he so loved to do. Maybe he'll surprise us again, but Fred
thinks this will be the time for him to leave us. We are all very
sad.

--
Regards,
Diana with Ryan and their human, Fred, and Jetadiah softly sleeping

[Remove FFFf from our email address to reply, if by email].

Old January 19th 05, 02:07 AM
ClowderCat

We're purring for Jetadiah and for all of you.
Chester, Clarence and Nathan

Old January 19th 05, 04:19 AM
Fred

ClowderCat wrote:

We're purring for Jetadiah and for all of you.
Chester, Clarence and Nathan

Fangu. We can feel your support.

--
Regards,
Diana and Ryan and their hooman, Fred.
Old January 21st 05, 02:13 AM
ClowderCat

Fred wrote:
ClowderCat wrote:

We're purring for Jetadiah and for all of you.
Chester, Clarence and Nathan

Fangu. We can feel your support.

--
Regards,
Diana and Ryan and their hooman, Fred.
[Remove FFFf from ourownselves emailaddress tu reply, ifn by email].

We're glad our purrs are getting through.
Have you seen Jetadiah today?

Chester, Clarence and Nathan