Picky eater

Old August 22nd 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

Default Picky eater

I need help. I'm pretty new with cats. I have two. One is
overweight and I try to give him a strict diet of high protein low
carbs canned food. But the other is normal sized, and he is a VERY
PICKY EATER. All night long he cries, but when I put out food he
smells it and turns away. I can't tell you how much food I've
wasted. I'm afraid he is not getting enough to eat, and I'm getting
very frustrated with him.

When I got him at PetSmart, they told me too only give him Purina One,
but he turns away from that too.

How do you find out what a cat likes?

Old August 22nd 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh via CatKB.com

Dom wrote:
I need help. I'm pretty new with cats. I have two. One is
overweight and I try to give him a strict diet of high protein low
carbs canned food. But the other is normal sized, and he is a VERY
PICKY EATER. All night long he cries, but when I put out food he
smells it and turns away. I can't tell you how much food I've
wasted. I'm afraid he is not getting enough to eat, and I'm getting
very frustrated with him.

When I got him at PetSmart, they told me too only give him Purina One,
but he turns away from that too.

How do you find out what a cat likes?

Have you tried wet food and dry solid food too?

If all else fails, try heating the wet food slightly, so that the aroma Set's
off his appetite. not hot, just warm. The cat's sense of smell is 10 x
magnified to out own, so this would make a difference....

If that doesn't work, trey anything, such as sardines, or tuna. Anything that
you think might kick start his appetite to start with, then work from there..

(I'm kicking myself right now. I did read somewhere on here that a certain
drug kick starts appetite as a side effect to the real reason for use of this
drug. Can anyone else remember who posted about it?)

If the weight loss gets alarming, then get hold of your vet & see if they can
see him to see if there is an underlying reason that isn't presenting itself
yet, OK?
Good Luck Dom,
Sheelagh "o"
PS: Welcome to the cat slave society

--
Sheelagh "o"

Old August 23rd 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 22 Aug, 18:01, Dom wrote:
I need help. I'm pretty new with cats. I have two. One is
overweight and I try to give him a strict diet of high protein low
carbs canned food. But the other is normal sized, and he is a VERY
PICKY EATER. All night long he cries, but when I put out food he
smells it and turns away. I can't tell you how much food I've
wasted. I'm afraid he is not getting enough to eat, and I'm getting
very frustrated with him.

When I got him at PetSmart, they told me too only give him Purina One,
but he turns away from that too.

How do you find out what a cat likes?

when did you get these pusscats? how long ago? recently? could it just
be that he is still unsure of his new surroundings?

try any kind of wet food, really pungent stuff, tuna, sardines, cheese
even, mackerel, roast chicken ( i defy any cat to hold out against
roast chicken slices).

my jessie is picky sometimes, sometimes turns her nose up at stuff she
normally likes just for the hell of it I suppose, and terri does this
annopying things of lickign the jelly off her chunks sometimes then
leaving the meaty chunks to go dry before bothering to try eating them
and not really liking them much (surprise surprise). I have considered
just buying her some aspic jelly. i ahve to mush up her chunks with
the jelly so she eats it all, very tedious but then that's what i am
there for.
of course if it is whiskas 'oh so fishy' or 'oh so meaty' poouches,
any flavour, then the whole lot disappears in seconds, no mushing
required.

heating wet food for 15 or so secodns in the microwave will help the
aroma be released from the food and make it more appetising which
might help. are you feeding her any wet food or is it just dry?

you coudl also try ranmdom stuff like raw egg yolks (no whites though)
or plain yogurt (although jessie does like hazlenut flavour).

best of luck and don't worry as no cat will starve itself to death
bookie

Old August 23rd 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"bookie" wrote in message
ups.com...

best of luck and don't worry as no cat will starve itself to death
bookie

--------
Bookie, I agree with everything you wrote (although I snipped it for
brevity), but I can't agree with your last statement (above). If a cat
doesn't eat for as little as a few days, it can develop liver disease. The
rule of thumb regarding dogs that they will eat when they get hungry enough
does not apply to cats. Cats will allow themselves to starve if they don't
like the food. This poster must try everything to get his cat to eat.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old August 23rd 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 22 Aug 2007 08:48:56p, cindys wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

"bookie" wrote in message
ups.com...

best of luck and don't worry as no cat will starve itself to
death bookie

--------
Bookie, I agree with everything you wrote (although I snipped it
for brevity), but I can't agree with your last statement
(above). If a cat doesn't eat for as little as a few days, it
can develop liver disease. The rule of thumb regarding dogs that
they will eat when they get hungry enough does not apply to
cats. Cats will allow themselves to starve if they don't like
the food. This poster must try everything to get his cat to eat.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Ditto that; seen it happen. While most of the time a cat won't eat
because it isn't feeling well, there are times when a change in
diet to something that doesn't appeal to them will cause a hunger
strike. Try changing a cats diet abruptly from dry to canned and
they protest it. The "eventually the cat will get hungry and eat"
statement just isn't true with all cats. Had it happen and gave in
to the cat just because of the risk of hepatic lipidosis. Been
through that, too, with a sick cat. Never want to ever go through
that again.

--
Cheryl

Old August 23rd 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 23 Aug, 01:48, "cindys" wrote:
"bookie" wrote in message

ups.com...

best of luck and don't worry as no cat will starve itself to death
bookie

--------
Bookie, I agree with everything you wrote (although I snipped it for
brevity), but I can't agree with your last statement (above). If a cat
doesn't eat for as little as a few days, it can develop liver disease. The
rule of thumb regarding dogs that they will eat when they get hungry enough
does not apply to cats. Cats will allow themselves to starve if they don't
like the food. This poster must try everything to get his cat to eat.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sorry but i have just never seen it happen myself, i would also wonder
whether the cat is getting food elsewhere as can be the case
sometimes. find out if there is a little old lady up the road who does
a nice line in fried chicken or braised livers or something

Old August 23rd 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Raw diet
Dry food
wet food try fancy feast that has gravy rub some across its slips

oups.com...

Old August 23rd 07, 10:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
aprilviolet

Hi, my cats see to eat only Tuna with Chicken or Tuna on its own.
Though we have Steak some nights I usually give them some of that that
is Princess does, I think I need to have Ginger Meggs teeth cleaned.
But they like cooked steak, fish too. But they wouldn't eat Kangaroo
meat, the 2nd time being raw Ginger Meggs wouldn't eat it, and
Princess ate a little too. In the end I cooked the Kangaroo meat, and
even then they wouldn't touch it, so Benji my dog ate it all in the
end. Which was a relief. I would love to get the cats onto a raw
diet, but I think I need to do something about Ginger Meggs first.
Expenses. I have just broke my glasses too, having a check up
tomorrow so that is good by to a digital camera which I was hoping to
buy. Jennifer

On Aug 23, 9:47 am, "Matthew" wrote:
Raw diet
Dry food
wet food try fancy feast that has gravy rub some across its slips

"Dom" wrote in message

oups.com...

I need help. I'm pretty new with cats. I have two. One is
overweight and I try to give him a strict diet of high protein low
carbs canned food. But the other is normal sized, and he is a VERY
PICKY EATER. All night long he cries, but when I put out food he
smells it and turns away. I can't tell you how much food I've
wasted. I'm afraid he is not getting enough to eat, and I'm getting
very frustrated with him.

When I got him at PetSmart, they told me too only give him Purina One,
but he turns away from that too.

How do you find out what a cat likes?- Hide quoted text -

Old August 24th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Aug 22, 12:01 pm, Dom wrote:
I need help. I'm pretty new with cats. I have two. One is
overweight and I try to give him a strict diet of high protein low
carbs canned food. But the other is normal sized, and he is a VERY
PICKY EATER. All night long he cries, but when I put out food he
smells it and turns away. I can't tell you how much food I've
wasted. I'm afraid he is not getting enough to eat, and I'm getting
very frustrated with him.

When I got him at PetSmart, they told me too only give him Purina One,
but he turns away from that too.

How do you find out what a cat likes?

This is just a thought, but there may be an issue with *eating*, not
with appetite. Check
his mouth and teeth. It's not that unusual for a cat to refuse a food
he doesn't like, but it
sounds odd that he's so hungry he's crying for food, and won't eat.
Once I took in a stray like that, she acted starving but would not
eat. Turned out she had
a sticker (grass burr) lodged in the back of her mouth.

Sherry