Freaked out felines

Old December 6th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Freaked out felines

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[Splodge, intact tomcat]
Splodge can be *very* determined when he gets in the mood. Early this
year he got a poisoned foot. We took him to the vet for antibiotics
and painkillers, but the day after he was off again for some all-night
partying, hopping out through the catflap on three legs before I could
say "where do you think you're going?".

Have you ever considered getting him neutered?

Of course.

But we haven't.

Your cat will be fighting with other intact toms in the neighbourhood all
the time. He will not always win. He will be injured if he doesn't and you
will get an enormous vet bill. Get him neutered asap. It will also stop
him impregnating any girlkitty that comes his way. He might even stay home
afterwards.

Tweed

Old December 7th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

[Splodge, intact tomcat]
Splodge can be *very* determined when he gets in the mood. Early this
year he got a poisoned foot. We took him to the vet for antibiotics
and painkillers, but the day after he was off again for some all-night
partying, hopping out through the catflap on three legs before I could
say "where do you think you're going?".
Have you ever considered getting him neutered?

Of course.
But we haven't.

Your cat will be fighting with other intact toms in the neighbourhood all
the time. He will not always win. He will be injured if he doesn't and you
will get an enormous vet bill. Get him neutered asap. It will also stop
him impregnating any girlkitty that comes his way. He might even stay home
afterwards.

Do you think we don't know that?

Old December 7th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

If you know that, why don't you get him neutered, then? It is unfair to
keep him intact to get injured from fighting, not to mention the unwanted
kitten population he is certain to be contributing to.
Boyfriend was an intact tom when he arrived here. It took some time to gain
his confidence so I could handle him but as soon as I thought he was sure
enough of his new home that he wouldn't abandon it, I took him to be
neutered.
He took 24 hours to get over it completely.

I have never regretted "having him done." He used to get very anxious to
go out to defend his territory and presumably to look for girls. He would
only come in for food and would want to go back out asap.
His testosterone seemed to keep him on tenterhooks.

He seems happier. He is no longer driven by his hormones and goes out when
he feels like it, on rat patrol or just for a general look around.
He doesn't get into fights with intact toms now, so his ears aren't ripped
up and he hasn't got an abcess.
If the weather isn't very nice, he's glad to have a snooze on the spare bed.
He would never have done this when he was intact - he was always too worried
about whether another tom would come in to his garden and the necessity to
go out and check, and fight it off if there was one there. No matter if it
didn't happen often, he needed to check out his territory as often as he
could.

I'm glad I had him neutered. He's very laid back now. His life is better
for it, IMO, of course.

Tweed

Old December 8th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Karen" wrote in message

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Debbie Wilson wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Other Brits, how's your weather? Breezy?

Strong winds and intermittent rain, yucky but not as bad as yours I
think!

Deb.

Looking at the satellite pictures tonight there's more to come.
--

Wow. You guys don't normally get this harsh of weather, do you?

Yes, we do. The Gulf Stream doesn't always protect us. I've experienced
temperatures as low as -16C (all my water pipes in the house froze) and as
high as 34C.
Can't remember what that is in fahrenheit. Whatever, that is *very* cold
and *very* hot.
I'll rely on Adrian to convert it. Thanks, Adrian.

Tweed

Old December 8th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christina Websell wrote:
"Karen" wrote in message
"Adrian A" wrote in message
Debbie Wilson wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Other Brits, how's your weather? Breezy?
Strong winds and intermittent rain, yucky but not as bad as yours I
think!

Deb.
Looking at the satellite pictures tonight there's more to come.
--

Wow. You guys don't normally get this harsh of weather, do you?

Yes, we do. The Gulf Stream doesn't always protect us. I've experienced
temperatures as low as -16C (all my water pipes in the house froze) and as
high as 34C.
Can't remember what that is in fahrenheit. Whatever, that is *very* cold
and *very* hot.
I'll rely on Adrian to convert it. Thanks, Adrian.

I'm not Adrian, but my trusty on-line conversion site tells me -16 C is
3.2 F, and 34 C is 93 F. We get lows of -30 C (-22 F) and more during
cold winters, summers usually don't get hotter than +30 C (86 F).

Old December 8th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Christina Websell wrote:
"Karen" wrote in message

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Debbie Wilson wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Other Brits, how's your weather? Breezy?

Strong winds and intermittent rain, yucky but not as bad as yours I
think!

Deb.

Looking at the satellite pictures tonight there's more to come.
--

Wow. You guys don't normally get this harsh of weather, do you?

Yes, we do. The Gulf Stream doesn't always protect us. I've
experienced temperatures as low as -16C (all my water pipes in the
house froze) and as high as 34C.
Can't remember what that is in fahrenheit. Whatever, that is *very*
cold and *very* hot.
I'll rely on Adrian to convert it. Thanks, Adrian.

Tweed

-16°C = 3.2°F, 34°C = 93.2°F. When it got to -16 bwhere you were was probaly
the same day when it got to -17 where I was, I remember a lot of diesel
vehicles got frozen fuel lines because the additives only protected them
to -14, since then it's about -20.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old December 9th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian A" wrote in message
om...
Christina Websell wrote:
"Karen" wrote in message

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Debbie Wilson wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Yes, it was probably the same time, I remember the roads being clogged up
with broken-down diesel vehicles. I also remember feeling pleased that I'd
had the foresight to fill my car's radiator with 3/4 antifreeze/1/4 water.
Started first time!

Tweed