I am in distress, my kitty has cancer

Old November 16th 15, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jillian JillianJillian

Default I am in distress, my kitty has cancer

Hello kitty loving friends,

My name is Jillian and I am the mom to a beautiful 15 (or 16!) year old boy kitty named Biggen. He has all the symptoms most of you mention. Started losing weight and not eating about 2 months ago. Took him in for what they thought was a CKD diagnosis. Started him on that treatment, but it didn't seem to be working. Took him back last week and the vet found a large mass in his stomach. Fine needle biopsy was inconclusive. Ultrasound said it looked very large and it was around or in the pancreas. Took him to the oncologist last Wednesday for a larger biopsy. Waiting for results to come in tomorrow.. He started on Thursday on 5mg Prednisolone once a day. How long does it take to usually kick in completely? It should help with his appetite, right? And fluids, 100ml sub-q a day. (BTW, I've finally gotten better at giving him the fluids, if anyone needs advice on that.) He seemed to be be in pain when we came b ack from the hospital on Thursday. He seems a little more interested in food, by really only licks a couple spoonfuls of baby food at a time. He does seem to be resting more comfortably, in all the standard kitty sleeping poses, on his back, stretching out, etc. He walks around the bedroom a little, uses the litter box, but seems way more lethargic and only gets out of bed once or twice a day. I know the prognosis is not good if it is a pancreatic tumor. That on top of his kidney problems. I am beside myself. I have missed 3 days of work due to being so upset and stressed out being away from him i start crying at my desk. I don't have a full diagnosis yet, but I am preparing for the worst.

I am really trying hard to find the philosophical lesson behind all of this, and the idea that soon I will have to let him go. I am in tears as i type this. I would max out my credit cards if i had to, to make him well, but I need to accept he won't ever be well aga in. And it is my responsibility as his mom to make sure he doesn't spend his last days with me in pain. I'm taking it one day at a time right now. But I am beyond myself not knowing what the right thing to do is and I am overcome with grief. He is my best friend and I love him so much. It's just me and my kitty family. Always has been.

Any advice and support would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jillian
Old November 16th 15, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Jillian JillianJillian wrote:

And it is my responsibility to make sure he doesn't spend his last
days with me in pain.

I've only had one cat put down. I was asked if I wanted to hold her
while the veterinarian injected the drug. Being aware that there are
potential problems, I wanted nothing to go wrong so I said No and let
the vet tech hold her. All things considered, it was amazing. It looked
instantaneous. If she felt any pain, it lasted no more than a fraction
of a second.

That cat was special, but nowadays there are plenty of starving and
beat-up cats to rescue from the not-so-great outdoors.
Old November 28th 15, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 10:05:53 PM UTC-5, Jillian JillianJillian wrote:
[...]

Jillian, my cat had cancer, but it was liver cancer that pushed against his stomach and made it impossible for him to eat. The Vet said he was in pain, which was pretty obvious by the cat's behavior. So I cried my eyes out and put him to sleep. It was the best decision. I didn't want him to be in pain.

Your case is not so cut and dry. You need advice from the vet.
Old July 24th 16, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mark[_3_]

Jillian JillianJillian Wrote in message:
[...]

I don't know what too say but sorry I know how I would feel had
my 2 now for 5 years and they are like my children I hope he gets
well soon.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/