Need help with rescued kitten care, malnourished

Old July 15th 03, 09:49 PM
Homeless Cat Rescue

Default Need help with rescued kitten care, malnourished

I am looking for some ideas of what to do for 4 kittens my wife and I
have recently recieved. The vet indicated that the weakest one was "in
the worst shape he seen yet this year".

The kittens were rescued from an aprtment building, one of which was
trapped in a heating vent. They were flee infested, had eye infections
and all had raspy breathing. The vet prescribed Clavamox (.5 ml twice
daily) and Tetracycline eye ointment and treated them for flees. The
vet thought they were about 8 weeks old, but I feel they are colser to 6
weeks based on the slight blue tint to their eyes and their ears are not
yet fully errect.

Our problem is that these poor guys so badly need nourishment and they
have terrible diarrhea (liquidy and white). These guys have definitely
had a diet change; from basically nothing to a mixture of kitten milk
replacer and rice pablum. To try and reduce the problems we have
reduced the amount of milk replacer, increased the solid (pablum)
content and added some growth formula wet food to make a gruel mixture.
It is too soom to tell if this is making things better or not.

We wash the kittens, especially their bottoms, several times a day since
their litter box skills are severly lacking. This is greatly agrivated
by thier bad diarrhea.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what we should be doing to make sure
these guys all pull through?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
-Troy

Old July 16th 03, 12:52 PM
Nord Stjern

Homeless Cat Rescue wrote ...
Our problem is that these poor guys so badly need nourishment and they
have terrible diarrhea (liquidy and white).

If they're eating well, I wouldn't change their diet again - if they
are not eating well, try adding some Hills a/d, a high calorie &
nutrient food. Have they been tested for coccidia? This also causes
severe diarrhea and is easily treated with Albon.

Good luck!

Nordstjern
Old July 16th 03, 01:37 PM
Homeless Cat Rescue

Nord Stjern wrote:
Homeless Cat Rescue wrote ...

Our problem is that these poor guys so badly need nourishment and they
have terrible diarrhea (liquidy and white).

If they're eating well, I wouldn't change their diet again - if they
are not eating well, try adding some Hills a/d, a high calorie &
nutrient food. Have they been tested for coccidia? This also causes
severe diarrhea and is easily treated with Albon.

Good luck!

Nordstjern

They seem to be doing better now, they still have diarrhea but the color
is improving. They now have nice round bellies after they eat and don't
feel quite so frail. It will probably take a few more days before the
stomachs settle down and I know the Clavamox causes diarrhea as well.

As for tests, I was not the one that took them to the vet so I don't
know for sure what was done, or not done.

They are eating very well, they current recive a gruel mixture of;
1 TBSP KMR milk replacer powder
2 TBSP Rice cereal pablum powder
Water to form thick paste from above ingredients
1/2 can MediCal Development Cat Food, mixed in with paste

The four of them are currently consuming 3-4 bowls of this each day. In
addition they have water and Royal Canin Babby Cat pellets that they are
just starting to eat.

It is nice to see them improving and the one in the worst shape actually
has the best appetite and is also improving well. I am not quite so
worried about their survival now.

-Troy

Old July 17th 03, 12:30 AM
Dee

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Homeless Cat Rescue wrote:

It is nice to see them improving and the one in the worst shape actually
has the best appetite and is also improving well. I am not quite so
worried about their survival now.

-Troy

What a great thing to hear Troy!

Dee