Update to malnourished kittens ... HELP NEEDED!

Old July 30th 03, 10:23 PM
Sharon Talbert

Default Update to malnourished kittens ... HELP NEEDED!

Poor babies. I would be tempted change vets, someone who has lots of
experience with rescue kittens. Clavimox is harsh stuff for small
kittens; your idea to reintroduce lactobacillus is good (you can get the
stuff at any health food store). Some other things you could try from
your vet are albon, which sometimes helps heal the gut (and will knock out
coccidia while it is at it -- coccidia can be hard to detect and often
flares up after worming). Also low-residue food (wet and dry, if the
kittens are old enough for kibbles). Also ask your vet about rehydrating
the kittens as needed. Diarrhea brings on dehydration very quickly, and
dehydration kills quickly.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
Seattle

Old July 31st 03, 04:15 AM
Arjun Ray

In am9obmNvbGQ=.86a144fa559fc1118b1aa299753ef677@105 9614118.cotse.net,
"Craig Brown" wrote:

| Poor wretches. Should be put out of their misery.

Nonsense. Only if you know *why* it's hopeless. Merely looking that
way isn't a good enough reason.

--
Netiquette Pointers:
http://www.digital-web.com/tutorials..._1999-12.shtml
Old August 1st 03, 01:16 PM
Homeless Cat Rescue

Homeless Cat Rescue wrote:
...follow up to my message from 15 July regarding the malnourshed
kittens and their diarrhea.

After the course of the Clavamox was completed their stool color
improved to brown, the color it should be, however the diarrhea
continued. They have been dewormed twice (2 weeks apart) with Strongant
to rule out a worm problem however the problem persisted. We have
changed their food to a Gastro (hypoalergenic/digestive) formula on the
advise of the veterinarian. They are also drinking lots of water, we
are using reverse osmosis water to reduce the change of introuducing any
other problems.

On Monday their condition was not improving so they went back to the vet
and were put on Metronidazole drops, also Viokase powder is being mixed
in thier food to help the digestive process. Now 2 of them are doing
better, one is mostly the same, and one is not doing well at all.

The two we are worried about are just skin and bones, they have not put
on any weight. One is particualar is the worst and even the vet
indicated it may not pull through.

Today the vet checked the stool sample again and does not feel it is any
parasite infection. He said the stool is mostly undigested food.

When I discussed if there is anything else we can do he felt we are
doing all we can. So here I am trying to see if anyone else has some
recommendations. I aksed the vet about something like yogurt and he did
not know if it would help any.

The vet feels that there has been significant damage done to the lining
of the intestines and there is nothing that can be done. If that is the
case what do we have to lose?

I am thinking about introducing some lactobacillus, probably in the form
of skim milk cottage cheese or plain yougurt. I feel the Clavamox has
killed all the good bacteria in thier systems and that may be part of
the problem. They have been off the Clavamox for over a week now.

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated. My wife and I want
to make sure we do not lose any of these little guys.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

-Troy

Well after speaking with almost everybody in Toronto here we took the
kittens to a vet that practiced both traditional as well as alternate
forms of care.

He agreed that much of the problem was most likley resulting from the
medications used in the tradiitonal aprach. He suggested the use of
several products (pro biotics and several herbal combinations)
specifically to restore the flora in the digestive system. He also
stopped the use of the medications they are currently on.

He felt the kittens had a failry good chance to recover as they have
very good appetites and are drinking lots of water. His only concern
was that maybe some permanent damage had been done already. He said we
should see an improvement in the next few days.

I'm not sure if it is just wishfull thinking, but the kittens do seem to
have a bit more energy already.

Will keep you all posted
-Troy

Old August 1st 03, 03:58 PM
Homeless Cat Rescue

Homeless Cat Rescue wrote:
Homeless Cat Rescue wrote:

[...]

Well it seems that we got our hopes up too soon. The weakest of the
group died early this morning.

-Troy