Upside down packaging tape, no more chewing on electrical cords

Old September 15th 13, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Default Upside down packaging tape, no more chewing on electrical cords

Still waiting to see a video of a guy sticking his hand into a
table saw...

lol

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
References: l0gefc$1qk$1 dont-email.me 6pSdndi6JOtY-rDPnZ2dnUVZ5hOdnZ2d giganews.com l0l8uh$umo$1 dont-email.me rsydnaMEz_pwN7PPnZ2dnUVZ5gadnZ2d giganews.com l0nd6l$80v$2 dont-email.me 8uGdnTquqsr7TLLPnZ2dnUVZ5vydnZ2d giganews.com l0omha$o4h$1 dont-email.me dkpv291cq7qps1ft4mdjiga1ccg2kt90vr 4ax.com l0opoe$4g7$1 dont-email.me 5etv29lubokjng16285jgcrafmg2sqp263 4ax.com VrKdncQr35XQ76_PnZ2dnUVZ5tSdnZ2d giganews.com 1s2539lal699qb2ritroq3ljebn5drk7p8 4ax.com
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 19:53:34 -0700

infodex mindspring.com wrote:
On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:02:52 -0700, "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
wrote:

infodex mindspring.com wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 03:58:06 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

Full of **** up to its eyebrows...

See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ltFuEKCnM4

Yes. This is an updated version of the device I saw. This one didn;t
actually require that the operator touch the saw blade. the one I saw
required actual contact with the blade, whqch necessitates stopping
the blade in les than one tooth's travel in order to not damage the
skin. And this meqns that there was some damage done to the blace by
the stopping mechanism.

Some? In the video I saw the blade and the whole drive mechanism were
toast. The inventor admitted that was a bit of a drawback but argued
it was cheaper than losing fingers.

Of course. That is the whole reason for the device. Its not something that
table saw operators do every day. When one of them does do it, it is fitting
that it cost him a lot of money. Saving his fingers is worth a lot of money.

Old September 16th 13, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]

On 9/9/2013 10:41 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:
John Doe wrote:
It would be like setting off a firecracker in your cat's mouth.

That's just one possible scenario. It probably wouldn't be worse.
Another possibility is the outlet sourcing up to 15 amps through your
cat's/kitten's mouth without tripping the circuit breaker. The
electricity would probably burn some flesh and your cat would run
away crying. Also possible is a much lesser shock that would
hopefully scare it into stopping before it's injured. There are many
possibilities depending on how your cat's teeth/tongue/saliva contact
the wires. The BOOM scenario is a distinct possibility though, as you
can experience by cutting through an appliance wire. As a kid, you
might have touched a 9 V battery to your tongue. If you did the same
with a 120 V wire prong (like a snake's tongue), it would probably go
BOOM and burn a serious hole in your tongue. I wouldn't want to try
that experiment.

Shielded cords plus GFI's will prevent that from happening. Read
about them he
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ctric/gfi.html

Please remember that some circuit interrupters can act very quickly.
There is a guy who builds them into his table saws. He can put his hand
into the saw blade when it is running, and the break will stop the saw
so fast that it doesn't even break his skin. Of course, this requires
more than just the GFI. He also has to stop the saw. But he is able to
do both, using a GFI to initiate the process.....

sawstop, and it doesn't use a gfi. it senses the capacitance of the
human body.

Old September 17th 13, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Bill Graham wrote:
John Doe wrote:
[...]

Yes. But the essentiuol thing to remember is thsat the circuitry to stop the
saw, or pull the breaker to protect the cat, is completely se3perate from
the circuit that interrupts the power based on too much power draw through
the main circuit. The breaker is tripped , not by too much po9wer being
drawn through it, but by a mechanism that senses the presense of the cat or
the operators fingers. And this requires much less power such as a few
milliambls of ground current, or the capacitance of the finger that is only
close to the saw, and not touching it. My iPad senses my fingers without
actually being touched. It would be entirely possible to build a device that
interrupted thousands of watts of raw power, based on the close proximity of
ones fingers. The GFI does this. It uses a completely seperate circuit to
pull the breaker other than the one that normally pulls it. That's why the
cat's mouth feels no power at all, and he is protected.

Old September 17th 13, 05:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Bill Graham wrote:
John Doe wrote:
[...]

You could design an app that shuts down Shasta Dam based on the proximity of
your finger to the surface of your iPad. And, if you did, you would just be
doing, on a very large scale, what the GFI does. It amplifies milliamperes
of ground current into a force that trips a much larger circuit breaker.

Old September 17th 13, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Perpetual bull****...

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav