Royal Canin vs. Hill's k/d?

Old July 31st 12, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Default Royal Canin vs. Hill's k/d?

"Christina Websell" wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

There is obviously a difference between USA & UK vets. a big difference.
Let's not mention declawing, our vets would be struck off if they did
that.

I stopped using a vet in Pasadena CA, when I realized the "laser surgery"
he advertised was for declawing! (He was a good, caring vet, otherwise,
and I suppose laser surgery is less traumatic than the traditional kind,
but still....)

When I adopted Cendrillon, I knew she had been declawed, which usually
means spayed or neutered at the same time. She'd been with me for about a
week when she came in heat! (One reason she found her forever home with
me - spaying isn't cheap, so after paying out that kind of money, merely
fostering her just wasn't an option.)

I might be wrong but I think America is the only place in the world where
declawing is legal. It should stop. Immediately.
It's a disgusting practice.
Why do your vets offer it?

Actually, USA and Canada. Though some US cities have now made it illegal.
--
Adrian
Old July 31st 12, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

The same reason any attempt to provide human "Medicare for All" goes
down to defeat whenever it's proposed: $$$$$$! (Greed outweighs caring
concern for the patients.)

Old July 31st 12, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I didn't know that declawing was still legal in Canada.
It should be illegal everywhere in a humane world.
Imagine having your fingerails plucked out just in case you decided to
damage the furniture.
And you need those nails to do toilet duties.
Cats are born with with claws on all four feet,. If you don;t like it,
don;t get one.

Old July 31st 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

If I went to my vet tomorrow and asked him to declaw Boyfriend I think he
would almost kill me for even asking.
I suspect I would be struck off his list for even suggesting it.

Tweed

Old August 1st 12, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

It's worse than having your fingernails pulled out, it's equivalent to have
the ends of your fingers chopped off at the last knuckle. :-(
--
Adrian
Old August 1st 12, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately (as you know), declawing is legal in most of the U.S.
Fortunately, more and more people are becoming aware of what a cruel
practice it is. Years ago (back in the 1960s), when I got my first cat, I
actually considered having my cat declawed. That's because I did not
realize that it involves amputation--and, of course, we did not have the
Internet then. I had to have part of the roots of my own big toes removed,
and I thought it would be similar. My vet told me that it would be a slower
and more painful healing process because my cat was then several months old
and was heavier than most cats that were declawed. So, I decided against
it, but I still did not know that it involved amputation. Ironically, I
found that it was very easy to train my cat to use a scratching post (the
primary reason most people use to justify declawing--others say it is to
prevent the cat from scratching people). As years went by, I learned more
about the procedure and was absolutely horrified that I had even considered
it. With the Internet, it is now very easy to point people to information
about this cruel procedure, and I have succeeded in convincing several
people not to use it.

As Adrian said, there are now a few cities that have made it illegal, and I
hope the number will grow. There are also growing numbers of vets who will
not declaw, but I am convinced that most vets who do perform it do so for
$$$$$.

MaryL

Old August 1st 12, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

I didn't know that declawing was still legal in Canada.
It should be illegal everywhere in a humane world.
Imagine having your fingerails plucked out just in case you decided to
damage the furniture.

If it were ONLY fingernails, it might not be so bad. (Think first
joints of all your fingers!)
Old August 2nd 12, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

I didn't know that declawing was still legal in Canada.
It should be illegal everywhere in a humane world.
Imagine having your fingerails plucked out just in case you decided to
damage the furniture.

If it were ONLY fingernails, it might not be so bad. (Think first
joints of all your fingers!)

It would still be inhumane even if it were only the claws, because *cats
have claws for a reason*! Claws are their main defense, and they also
allow a cat to climb up trees or other things to get away from danger
quickly. I don't know why people don't mention that when they talk about
declawing. I think that leaving them defenseless is the worst part of it.

--
Joyce

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Old August 2nd 12, 10:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Without claws, a high percentage of cats also develop arthritis and also
abnormalities. They cannot walk and exercise normally without their claws.
The change in their walking and posture (even stretching, as when
scratching) may not be obvious to us, but it will take its toll over the
years.

MaryL
Old August 2nd 12, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

I didn't know that declawing was still legal in Canada.
It should be illegal everywhere in a humane world.
Imagine having your fingerails plucked out just in case you decided to
damage the furniture.

If it were ONLY fingernails, it might not be so bad. (Think first
joints of all your fingers!)

It would still be inhumane even if it were only the claws, because *cats
have claws for a reason*! Claws are their main defense, and they also
allow a cat to climb up trees or other things to get away from danger
quickly. I don't know why people don't mention that when they talk about
declawing. I think that leaving them defenseless is the worst part of it.

--

Do you have any idea why it is still legal in North America & Canada?
Is your furniture more precious than ours? Or do you think your vets like
the money from doing it?
My vet would be struck off if he did it. Not that he ever would. I did ask
him about his opinion about this once. I wouldn't like to share what he
said. He has only done it once, in his whole career and that was when a cat
had such a serious nailbed infection that nothing worked and that was the
last resort. He said he hopes he never has to do it again because it causes
problems with digging for toilet duties and they can also become biters.
I cannot imagine why anyone would want to have this done. If you don't want
your cat to have claws, don't get one.
Both my cats needed their claws. KFC to live outside for many years and
catch mousies. Boyfie does use his for this but also to claw my kitchen rug
for emphasis when I've told him for the second time it's not time for his
food or when I've refused what he wants exactly when he wants it..
Tweed