New kitten

Old July 30th 12, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

Default New kitten

On 7/30/2012 2:08 PM, Bastette wrote:
Debby Hanoka wrote:

"Cat, get off my head!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I don't get it...

In the first paragraph of Nik's post, he said how the kitten likes to sleep on his head at night, so I made a wisecrack. Maybe I should warn you that I have a sarcastic, slightly warped sense of humor that can be misunderstood.

I just thought maybe it was a reference to something, a TV show or song or
something. It wouldn't have been the first time I was way out of the loop
about such things.

I've never had a cat sleep on my head. It sounds adorable, but I'm not sure
I'd actually be able to *sleep*.

I never said I could sleep ;-) This kitten has the loudest, strongest
purr-engine I've encountered in many years, her whole body seems to
vibrate ;-)

--
Nik Simpson
Old July 30th 12, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Debby Hanoka wrote:

"Cat, get off my head!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I don't get it...

In the first paragraph of Nik's post, he said how the kitten
likes to sleep on his head at night, so I made a wisecrack.
Maybe I should warn you that I have a sarcastic, slightly
warped sense of humor that can be misunderstood.

I just thought maybe it was a reference to something, a TV show
or song or
something. ...

The first interpretation of the quoted comment made me think of
the musician Jean Michelle Jarre, and the Rendezvous Houston
concert. The live recorded album has a "vox pop" section, with
members of the public commenting on the spectacular show. One
woman is passing comment, having been forced to stop on a freeway
because of the traffic just watching the "Son et Lumiere", and
interjects her opinion with an exclamation of "Kids! Get off my
car!". So, perhaps *I* got it?

--
MatSav

Old July 30th 12, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

nik Simpson wrote:

On 7/30/2012 2:08 PM, Bastette wrote:

I've never had a cat sleep on my head. It sounds adorable, but I'm not sure
I'd actually be able to *sleep*.

I never said I could sleep ;-) This kitten has the loudest, strongest
purr-engine I've encountered in many years, her whole body seems to
vibrate ;-)

Enjoy it now! Their purrs are loudest during kittenhood. I'm not sure
how that works, but I can guess *why*. Purring is most important when
they're babies - they have to make sure mom can find them. But the purr
seems to get quieter as they get older. That's my experience most of the
time, although Licky must have been absent from cat school the day they
taught that.

That sounds like the most relaxing thing in the world, having a little
purr engine right on top of your ear.

--
Joyce

Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the
words 'mackerel' and 'pudding' existed far, far away from one another. One
day, that all changed. And then, whoever was responsible somehow thought
the word 'fluffy' would help." -- Hilarious recipes at: www.candyboots.com
Old July 30th 12, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

MatSav wrote:

I just thought maybe it was a reference to something, a TV show
or song or something. ...

The first interpretation of the quoted comment made me think of
the musician Jean Michelle Jarre, and the Rendezvous Houston
concert. The live recorded album has a "vox pop" section, with
members of the public commenting on the spectacular show. One
woman is passing comment, having been forced to stop on a freeway
because of the traffic just watching the "Son et Lumiere", and
interjects her opinion with an exclamation of "Kids! Get off my
car!". So, perhaps *I* got it?

People were watching a show while driving on a freeway?

I don't think I'm at the top of my game today.

--
Joyce

- Mommy loves you too my sweaty litter baby fire
- Ummm what mom?
- MY SWEET LITTLE BABY GIRL!! sorry honey!
-- damnyouautocorrect.com
Old July 30th 12, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , nik Simpson wrote:

Congratulations from me as well!

I'll join the chorus hoping to see a picture or two.

I've had cats that sometimes like to sleep on my head - it certainly is a
strange sensation. My very first cat, Basil, was a trapped wild black &
white, who fairly quickly decided that people were Good Things. He loved to
sleep across my throat. Now there's something that can be a bit of a pain,
unless you're a fan of asphyxiation!

Art

Old July 30th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Debby Hanoka wrote:

[...]

Many years ago, when Herbie (RB) was a kitten, my mother came for a visit.
In the morning she told us that Herbie had curled up on her ear and purred
her to sleep. When she started the story, I wasn't sure how she felt about
it (she was a dog person), but by the end, it was clear that she was
charmed.

Personally, I think the two most relaxing things in the world are being in a
comfortable chair holding a sleeping baby, or having full body contact with
a sleeping cat.

Joy

Old July 31st 12, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

nik Simpson wrote:
One less kitten at the local animal shelter. She's about 12 weeks old and
blue-grey. At the shelter, she made it abundantly clear that she was
going home with me, despite the other kittens being larger, she just
pushed them out of the way. At home she's been utterly fearless and likes
to sleep on my head at night while purring loudly.

So far Emily and Custer have reacted OK, not pleased, but they are
getting over it. I expect Emily will just ignore her, but Custer is
intrigued by the games she plays, but not sure whether to join in yet.

I'm still working on a name for her, she's at the vet this morning being
spayed, so wish her luck ;-)

Congratulations!
--
Adrian
Old July 31st 12, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
MatSav wrote:

I just thought maybe it was a reference to something, a TV
show
or song or something. ...

The first interpretation of the quoted comment made me think
of
the musician Jean Michelle Jarre, and the Rendezvous Houston
concert. The live recorded album has a "vox pop" section,
with
members of the public commenting on the spectacular show. One
woman is passing comment, having been forced to stop on a
freeway
because of the traffic just watching the "Son et Lumiere",
and
interjects her opinion with an exclamation of "Kids! Get off
my
car!". So, perhaps *I* got it?

People were watching a show while driving on a freeway?

Yes, and no.Vehicles were on the freeway, but weren't being
driven anywhere. The show had caused gridlock as people stopped
to watch. It was more of a spectacular than a show - the entire
cityscape was used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tky5t...3&feature=plcp

--
MatSav

Old July 31st 12, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

MatSav wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

MatSav wrote:

[...]

Wow. Not a great video, but I get the idea. What a weird place to put
on an extravaganza. I guess people who actualy wanted to get somewhere
had to take the city streets?

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review

Old July 31st 12, 09:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
MatSav wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

MatSav wrote:

[...]

Well, it *was* 26 years ago!

What a weird place to put
on an extravaganza. I guess people who actualy wanted to get
somewhere
had to take the city streets?

I don't think anyone was going anywhere in Houston that night.
1.3 million people watching in the streets, according to the
video.

--
MatSav