Upside down packaging tape, no more chewing on electrical cords

Old September 8th 13, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default Upside down packaging tape, no more chewing on electrical cords

My first critical application of upside down packaging tape was to
keep my cat off of the windowsill in a cat-hostile apartment complex.
Now that I'm temporarily fostering three kittens... They start
chewing on a group of electrical cords in a very small area on the
floor. Put two pieces of 4 inch long packaging tape among the
electrical cords. Reapplied as necessary. I just love it when they
start whining about having the tape stuck to them, and I get to come
to their rescue It's like cat correction heaven. One half hour to
one hour later, no more chewing on the electrical cords. BOOM.

If you've ever seen what household current can do to tool-steel in an
instant (like when you accidentally cut through it), you will freak
out at the thought of your cats accidentally chewing through an
electrical cord. It just can't happen.

Old September 9th 13, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

John Doe wrote:
My first critical application of upside down packaging tape was to
keep my cat off of the windowsill in a cat-hostile apartment complex.
Now that I'm temporarily fostering three kittens... They start
chewing on a group of electrical cords in a very small area on the
floor. Put two pieces of 4 inch long packaging tape among the
electrical cords. Reapplied as necessary. I just love it when they
start whining about having the tape stuck to them, and I get to come
to their rescue It's like cat correction heaven. One half hour to
one hour later, no more chewing on the electrical cords. BOOM.

If you've ever seen what household current can do to tool-steel in an
instant (like when you accidentally cut through it), you will freak
out at the thought of your cats accidentally chewing through an
electrical cord. It just can't happen.

It helps to put ground fault protectors on all your circuits. that way, as
soon as some groung current is drawn, the breaker trips and the cat probably
won't feel a thing. This is especially true if your electricasl wires are
swhielded by grounded woven steel cables, The cats will have to chew through
those first, and then as soon as it bites into the hot wire, the ground
current will trip the breaker off and it won't come back on until/unless you
reset it. Most new houses have these in the bathrooms and kitchens, but
there is no reason why you couldn't put them throughout your house. They are
great for young pets and children who are likely to mess with the wiring.

Old September 9th 13, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Circuit breakers have been used for ages (here in the United
States). They are used on every circuit in a house. Problem is,
in order to detect a short circuit, current must be extremely high
(at least over the outlet's rated current).

If you think it's not going to hurt your cats, test your theory by
cutting through a wire that's plugged into the wall. Be sure to
make a video. In case it kills you, leave a note for somebody else
to upload the video. What you will probably experience is a "BOOM"
followed by the circuit breaker tripping. And you will notice a
piece of your diagonal cutting pliers is missing.

It would be like setting off a firecracker in your cat's mouth.

This troll must be drunk...

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Old September 10th 13, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

It would be like setting off a firecracker in your cat's mouth.

That's just one possible scenario. It probably wouldn't be worse.
Another possibility is the outlet sourcing up to 15 amps through your
cat's/kitten's mouth without tripping the circuit breaker. The
electricity would probably burn some flesh and your cat would run
away crying. Also possible is a much lesser shock that would
hopefully scare it into stopping before it's injured. There are many
possibilities depending on how your cat's teeth/tongue/saliva contact
the wires. The BOOM scenario is a distinct possibility though, as you
can experience by cutting through an appliance wire. As a kid, you
might have touched a 9 V battery to your tongue. If you did the same
with a 120 V wire prong (like a snake's tongue), it would probably go
BOOM and burn a serious hole in your tongue. I wouldn't want to try
that experiment.
Old September 10th 13, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Bill Graham

John Doe wrote:
Circuit breakers have been used for ages (here in the United
States). They are used on every circuit in a house. Problem is,
in order to detect a short circuit, current must be extremely high
(at least over the outlet's rated current).

If you think it's not going to hurt your cats, test your theory by
cutting through a wire that's plugged into the wall. Be sure to
make a video. In case it kills you, leave a note for somebody else
to upload the video. What you will probably experience is a "BOOM"
followed by the circuit breaker tripping. And you will notice a
piece of your diagonal cutting pliers is missing.

It would be like setting off a firecracker in your cat's mouth.

You either didn't read my post, or don't understand it. I am talking about a
special kind of circuit breaker, called, "Ground Fault Interrupter" Circuit
breakers. These detect very small amounts of current leaking to ground, and
pull the breaker immediately when they do. Current drawn between one side of
the line and the other doesn't count. Its current drawn to the ground on
grounded devices that trips the breaker when it is less than 10 milliaMPS.
they use them maiunly in baths and kitchens where there is water, but there
is no reason why they can't be usede anywhere in the house, as long as there
exists a ground to draw the current. Most electrical cords arent shielded,
so the GFI wouldn;t work. But you casn get shielded cords for anything, and
as long ss the shield is grounded at the Circuit Breaker end, it will trip
the breaker as soon as 10 milliamps of ground current is detected. When a
cat chews through the shield and hits a live wire, the ground current
through the shield will trip the breaker. Ask an elecftrician about them....
He wiull be able to install them anywhere in your home that you please.

Old September 10th 13, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

John Doe wrote:
[...]

Shielded cords plus GFI's will prevent that from happening. Read about them
he
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ctric/gfi.html

Old September 10th 13, 06:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Bill Graham wrote:
John Doe wrote:
[...]

Please remember that some circuit interrupters can act very quickly. There
is a guy who builds them into his table saws. He can put his hand into the
saw blade when it is running, and the break will stop the saw so fast that
it doesn't even break his skin. Of course, this requires more than just the
GFI. He also has to stop the saw. But he is able to do both, using a GFI to
initiate the process.....

Old September 10th 13, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Crazy talk...

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Old September 10th 13, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Anybody who knows anything about electricity would know what I am
talking about. I'm talking about current flowing from one wire to
the other through your cat's mouth. It has nothing to do with
current flowing through your cat to a tub of water or whatever.
There is no abnormal current flow, your cat's mouth acts like a
circuit. I don't need to ask an electrician, I know plenty about
electricity and electronics. Besides, I've experienced the thing.

Again... All you have to do is test your theory. And please record
the video...

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Subject: Upside down packaging tape, no more chewing on
electrical cords
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:15:19 -0700
free.usenet:4630323 free.spirit:1100

John Doe wrote:
[...]

GFI's have been around for many years. They automatically pull the breaker
before any high current gets into your cat's mouth. If you, "know all about
electricity" then you should know about GFI's. I sent you a link. If you
donl;t want to read it or learn anything, that's your business. I have
completed my obligation. You can lead someone to knowlkege, but you can't
make him learn...