FLORIDA WILDLIFE CONSERVATION COMMISSION OK'S KILLING CATS

Old July 14th 03, 04:58 PM
Dee

Default FLORIDA WILDLIFE CONSERVATION COMMISSION OK'S KILLING CATS

On May 30th, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission adopted
a policy to REMOVE AND KILL ALL FERAL CATS AND KITTENS on any land where
the commission deems the cats to be a threat of any kind to native
wildlife.

A 30 page Feral Cat Issue Assessment prepared by commission staff, and
used as a basis of this policy, states that "...poisoning is not an option
in Florida for numerous reasons. However, cats can be eradicated through
shooting or trapping and euthanasia."

The commission adopted this policy without even considering a large body
of sound scientific evidence refuting the biased and incomplete research
that the commission used to base its decision, and despite the testimony
of Alley Cat Allies, other feral cat experts, and Floridians from
throughout the state.

Alley Cat Allies is now endeavoring not only to fight Florida's decision,
but to educate policy makers about Trap-Neuter-Return programs so that
policies like this will not be passed in other states.

Please visit

http://www.alleycat.org

Click on "Action Center." From there you'll be able to send emails
directly to Florida's policy makers and state tourism agency.

Thanks,

Dee

Old July 14th 03, 06:10 PM

So, I've got a question here. Why is it so important to save the cute
little kitties but ignore the issues of the strain they put on the
wildlife population (which may not have the advantage of being cute)?

I love cats and I don't like them being needlessly put to sleep, but let's
be honest here. There are way more cats than homes, and those cats do put
strains on wildlife populations and catching, spaying, and releasing
sounds nice but you still have those cats out there killing the
wildlife plus you'll never be able to spay/neuter them all (it's easier
and quicker to just shoot them therefore you would rpobably be able to
get more of them that way). It sounds cruel but sometimes it is the best
option.

You're better off trying to spend your energy trying to convince people to
spay/neuter their pets and be dedicated to the pets they take in so you
don't have them releasing their cats to the wild when they are tired of
them. Address the overpopulation problem and maybe one day we won't have
this large amount of cats putting strains on the wildlife that we have to
kill.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 14th 03, 06:47 PM
Karen Chuplis

wrote in message
[...]

That was the entire point of my letter to them, but exactly what I don't see
going on in their "campaign". They are just going to have perpetual cat
hunting season if they don't fix the actual problem. Native Floridians have
told me how there old boy conversations have been recorded about how fun
"cat shooting" is going to be. These have been reported in major FL
newspapers. So, the main point I guess is fix the problem and second,
shooting cats for fun doesn't sound very damn humane to me.

Karen

Old July 14th 03, 08:00 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

I thought 'cats' (meaning the smaller type normally kept as pets, not the
larger ones found in the wild, like Pumas, Lynxes and such) were an
*introduced* species here in North America. From what I understand, those
'cats' are descendants of a small breed of wildcats found only in northern
Africa, and the stray 'cats' found in abundance in virtually all cities in
North America were introduced when people brought a pet over, it bred with
another one that was brought over, and somehow or another somewhere along
the line escaped or were turned loose. In a lot of areas *introduced*
species of animals can create a problem for the native species, either by
hunting/killing them directly, or by competition for food (as is the case
for a breed of Japanese fish that has turned up in some of the Great Lakes:
they are voracious eaters and happen to eat the same food as a lot of the
local species do).

While I don't necessarily *like* the idea of killing cats (or dogs, for that
matter), and in some areas a type of management program does work, in some
areas it has gotten too out of control, and some of the feral/stray 'cats'
will need to be eliminated in order to bring their numbers down to a more
manageable count. Ever see videos of the mouse plague that hit areas of
Australia? Not a pleasant thought.

And the thought of having an open season for the hunting of cats? What
happens when little Billy or Jenny's beloved Fluffy escapes her home and/or
collar?? Not something I'd like to see happen. Are they going to equip all
hunters with the microchip readers to check every 'stray' that doesn't have
a collar before shooting it?

I can see that the legislators haven't thought this through completely.
Sad. I always wanted to visit my sister in Tampa, and Disney World, but now
I think I'll not spend any money in the state of Florida.
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote in message
So, I've got a question here. Why is it so important to save the cute
little kitties but ignore the issues of the strain they put on the
wildlife population (which may not have the advantage of being cute)?

It's EXTREME hypocrisy for so-called environmentalists to preserve only
the parts of nature they feel like preserving. Cats aren't manufactured,
they are animals that normally appear in nature. If they're preserving
wildlife, the cats belong there as much as any other animals.

If the stated purpose is to let nature take its course, then leave the
cats alone. If not, then pave the damn area and put up mini-malls.

--
The function of an asshole is to emit quantities of crap. Spammers do
a very good job of that. However, I do object to my inbox being a

Old July 15th 03, 12:10 AM
Becky Smith

You've never dealt with a feral cat have you?

wrote in message :

but they still have been tamed and
changed and are not the same as the wildcats they originated from.

Old July 15th 03, 06:38 AM

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Becky Smith wrote:
You've never dealt with a feral cat have you?

There are feral dogs too, would you call them wolves?

That has nothing to do with my point that you responded to. Point being
domestic cats are a seperate species now from the animals they descended
from and only have one native habitat, the human home.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 15th 03, 08:09 AM
Five Cats

In article ,
Dee writes
snip

What has this to do with feline obesity? Why not start your own thread
instead?

--
Five Cats
Old July 15th 03, 08:58 PM
Arjun Ray

In , "Becky Smith"
wrote:
| wrote in message :

| but they still have been tamed and changed and are not the same as
| the wildcats they originated from.
|
| You've never dealt with a feral cat have you?

You're saying that ferals are not tame. Alice is saying that they can
be tamed. Both of you are right.

Old July 15th 03, 09:05 PM
Dee

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Five Cats wrote:

In article ,
Dee writes
snip

What has this to do with feline obesity? Why not start your own thread
instead?

Me? I did start this thread. Sorry, I don't know what you're talking
about, the topic doesn't say anything about feline obesity.

Dee

Old July 15th 03, 09:14 PM
Patrick

Dee wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Five Cats wrote:

In article
, Dee
writes snip

What has this to do with feline obesity? Why not start your own
thread instead?

Me? I did start this thread. Sorry, I don't know what you're talking
about, the topic doesn't say anything about feline obesity.

Dee

Over in *alt.cats* the thread suddenly changed from 'Cat Obesity' name to
'FLORIDA...'