OT - The Turtle

Old July 18th 05, 03:32 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Default OT - The Turtle

Last week I wrote about how DH saved a chipmunk from certain death on the
side of the road.

Yesterday, we were able to save a turtle from death as it crossed a road.

We were driving along, less than a mile from our home, when DH starts
cursing, swerves and pulls over to the side of the road (I usually let him
drive as he has a tendency to be overly critical of my driving - and he also
has a tendency to motion sickness when he is not driving, no matter how
short the trip). The road is *very* narrow there as the land on either side
is wooded at that point.

I had seen what looked like a shoe near the center line of the road. DH
pops out of the vehicle and disappears for a split second. When he
reappears and enters the vehicle, he plops the "shoe" down on the center
console.

It's not a shoe - it's a turtle! And Eastern Box Turtle (or one of it's
sub-species) to be exact
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/publi.../boxturtle.htm. These
critters used to be abundant in Indiana when I was a kid, but have recently
been added to the "protected species" list here, as of October of last year.
It's illegal to keep them as pets, unless you had it before the beginning of
the year & get a special permit from the Department of Natural Resources
(DNR).

I pick it up to hold it so it won't crawl it's way off the center console
and into the footwell on DH's side, limiting his driving abilities and
causing a wreck. DNR recommends that if seeing one crossing a road, you
should pick it up and move it to the side of the road it was heading for.
It's too busy and narrow for that where he was (luck we didn't get
rear-ended while we were stopped just to pick him up), but less that 50
yards away, the road widens. We pull over there. But by the time we get
there, said turtle decides to empty it's bladder - all over my lap. These
critters must have *huge* bladders

Anyway, DH pulls over, and I hop out and run over to the edge of the wooded
area, and set the turtle down. It immediately crawls to the safety of the
woods.

I, covered in turtle-pee, return to the car and we continue on our
errand(s) - yes, I do get a few curious glances from people in the store(s)
in regards to my wet lap, but I just smile and carry on.

Chalk up *2* wildlife rescues in the course of *4* days!
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old July 18th 05, 03:42 PM
jmcquown

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
[...]

I'm so proud of you guys! (wiping away a tear)

Jill

Old July 18th 05, 03:55 PM
Victor Martinez

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
Chalk up *2* wildlife rescues in the course of *4* days!

Good for you!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 18th 05, 03:56 PM
Christine Burel

You and DH done good!
Christine
"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
[...]

former-blonde
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old July 18th 05, 04:27 PM
JBHajos

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:32:32 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
wrote:

Excellent!! You done good! Kudos.

jbh
Old July 18th 05, 04:31 PM
Bobcat

[...]

We too once saved a very ungrateful turtle from becoming roadkill. We
driving back to Toronto from Muskoka ("cottage country") and I spotted a big
snapper heading onto highway 11 ahead of us. I pulled over and grabbed him
by the tail - normally a no-no, but this was a rescue operation, and slung
him into a large washtub in the back of our wagon. We drove on, looking for
a lake or river near the road where we could release our hitchhiker. I
happened to look in the rearview mirror and saw Mr. Jaws had escaped from
his tub and was marching towards us! Luckily, water appeared just ahead. I
pulled over quickly, manoeuvred Mr. Jaws into the washtub and dumped him in
the lake. It's a tossup who was more relieved - Mr. Jaws or us.

Old July 18th 05, 05:52 PM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:32:32 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
yodeled:

Last week I wrote about how DH saved a chipmunk from certain death on the
side of the road.

(snip)
I, covered in turtle-pee, return to the car and we continue on our
errand(s) - yes, I do get a few curious glances from people in the store(s)
in regards to my wet lap, but I just smile and carry on.

Chalk up *2* wildlife rescues in the course of *4* days!

You should get some kind of medal for this, but I hesitate to think
what this medal should look like. "The Order of the Peeing Turtle"?

Theresa
Old July 18th 05, 06:23 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:32:32 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
yodeled:

Last week I wrote about how DH saved a chipmunk from certain death
on the side of the road.

(snip)
I, covered in turtle-pee, return to the car and we continue on our
errand(s) - yes, I do get a few curious glances from people in the
store(s) in regards to my wet lap, but I just smile and carry on.

Chalk up *2* wildlife rescues in the course of *4* days!

You should get some kind of medal for this, but I hesitate to think
what this medal should look like. "The Order of the Peeing Turtle"?

That sounds almost like something out of Harry Potter LOL

Old July 18th 05, 06:27 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Bobcat wrote:

We too once saved a very ungrateful turtle from becoming roadkill. We
driving back to Toronto from Muskoka ("cottage country") and I
spotted a big snapper heading onto highway 11 ahead of us. I pulled
over and grabbed him by the tail - normally a no-no, but this was a
rescue operation, and slung him into a large washtub in the back of
our wagon. We drove on, looking for a lake or river near the road
where we could release our hitchhiker. I happened to look in the
rearview mirror and saw Mr. Jaws had escaped from his tub and was
marching towards us! Luckily, water appeared just ahead. I pulled
over quickly, manoeuvred Mr. Jaws into the washtub and dumped him in
the lake. It's a tossup who was more relieved - Mr. Jaws or us.

I think that'd be a tie. You out of relief that you came through with all
digits attached, Mr. Jaws relieved that he did not become a meal himself
(but probably wishing that a few digits strayed nearer his mouth so he could
have a snack).

Old July 18th 05, 06:27 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

JBHajos wrote: