Exercise for Indoor Cats?

Old December 3rd 05, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Exercise for Indoor Cats?

Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?

Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
exercise?

Bubba's getting to be a bit of a fatass at 22Lbs and
reducing his food only seems to go so far, plus it
ruins his normally sunny disposition when the food
dish goes empty.

TIA

CLaude
Old December 3rd 05, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

(claudel) wrote:

Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?

That is a neat idea, IMO.

I guess in-line skating is out of the question.

Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
exercise?

I guess it depends on how fat and lazy the boss is. Currently, I
have four 8' carpeted 2x4s in my room. Two of them are like
bleachers about 5 and 6 feet above the floor in front of three large
windows. One of them leans up against those so the cats can most
easily climb up there. Another 8' carpeted 2x4 goes from the
bleachers over to my computer stand which is an arch made of two by
force for holding my beautiful 19 inch monitor above me while I lie
down using the computer. I bumped my head yesterday, but I'm smart
enough, I can learn to duck. And there's nothing wrong with me
getting a little exercise too. Besides walking around the room on
them, the cats also jump to various places from those carpeted 2x4s.

In my opinion, the best way to carpet 2x4s is to buy the 2x4s, the
carpet, and a staple gun, and just do it. Trying to keep the staples
from hurting the cats claw is important, but the efficiency of using
the staple gun (it's really easy that way) means you can get it
done.

Bubba's getting to be a bit of a fatass at 22Lbs and
reducing his food only seems to go so far, plus it
ruins his normally sunny disposition when the food
dish goes empty.

You can trim a few pounds off of him the easy way. Carpet one 8'
carpeted 2x4 and lean it up against something where the dry food
goes. That way, he won't eat every time you turn around. And when he
does eat, he will have to get a tiny amount of exercise for it.

Good luck.

Old December 3rd 05, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article et,
Diane wrote:
In article ,
(claudel) wrote:

Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
exercise?

I use a laser light, and of course Da Bird, both of which remain popular
when Himself is in the right mood. Also highly entertaining for Da Human.

Bubba caught on very quickly that the little red dot isn't
something that he's able to grab. He'll watch it intently
but very rarely will make a move to chase it. If I put the
dot on his tail or back legs he'll sort of chirp at it, but
he otherwise can't be bothered with it.

I got him one of these, and he loves it...

http://tinyurl.com/bqzux

He seems to like to be able to swat and catch something
that has a bit of substance to it.

but it seems as if he could use a bit more exercise.

http://www.go-cat.com/

Those look pretty cool too.

Thanks

Claude
Old December 3rd 05, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ,
John Doe wrote:
(claudel) wrote:

Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?

That is a neat idea, IMO.

The trick is getting His Majesty to agree...

I guess in-line skating is out of the question.

:^) Where do ya get the little skates???

Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
exercise?

I guess it depends on how fat and lazy the boss is. Currently, I
have four 8' carpeted 2x4s in my room. Two of them are like
bleachers about 5 and 6 feet above the floor in front of three large
windows. One of them leans up against those so the cats can most
easily climb up there. Another 8' carpeted 2x4 goes from the
bleachers over to my computer stand which is an arch made of two by
force for holding my beautiful 19 inch monitor above me while I lie
down using the computer. I bumped my head yesterday, but I'm smart
enough, I can learn to duck. And there's nothing wrong with me
getting a little exercise too. Besides walking around the room on
them, the cats also jump to various places from those carpeted 2x4s.

One of Bubba's endearing qualities to me is that he shows no
interest in exploring the higher places in my home. I'd hate
to encourage him to jump up on things since he is currently
content to stay on the floor and couches and off the bookshelves
and kitchen counters.

In my opinion, the best way to carpet 2x4s is to buy the 2x4s, the
carpet, and a staple gun, and just do it. Trying to keep the staples
from hurting the cats claw is important, but the efficiency of using
the staple gun (it's really easy that way) means you can get it
done.

Bubba's getting to be a bit of a fatass at 22Lbs and
reducing his food only seems to go so far, plus it
ruins his normally sunny disposition when the food
dish goes empty.

You can trim a few pounds off of him the easy way. Carpet one 8'
carpeted 2x4 and lean it up against something where the dry food
goes. That way, he won't eat every time you turn around. And when he
does eat, he will have to get a tiny amount of exercise for it.

That's a pretty good idea. I dunno if he'd walk a 2x4 or not.
He's not the most graceful/coordinated cat I've ever seen.

2x6, maybe.

Good luck.

Thanks

Claude
Old December 3rd 05, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Diane" wrote in message
nk.net...
In article ,
(claudel) wrote:

Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
exercise?

I use a laser light,

Laser light here too! And catnip toys that they can kick the snot out
of and otherwise attack when they are in the mood.

http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/crcattoyse.html

and of course Da Bird, both of which remain popular
when Himself is in the right mood. Also highly entertaining for Da Human.

http://www.go-cat.com/

Oo, gotta check this out.

Old December 3rd 05, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

claudel wrote:

Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?

Believe it or not, I once had a cat that would walk on the treadmill
when it was in motion and would seemingly be fascinated by walking
without going anywhere.

The other cat I had at the time would go flying out the back end of the
treadmill and never catch onto it. One would think that cat wasn't the
smart one; however, maybe this was all by design. :-D

Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
exercise?

Yes, but most involve some effort on your part as well... kitty isn't
going to exercise unless you pitch in. :-D

Old December 3rd 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Diane" wrote in message
nk.net...
In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

And catnip toys that they can kick the snot out
of and otherwise attack when they are in the mood.

Hodge tends to stand in front of his fleece catnip toys as though he
doesn't know they are there (he does), step backwards onto them, and
start digging them with his back feet. I don't think I've seen a cat do
that before.

?? lol

He is one weird boy! Weird, but beautiful.

Boo likes to lick hers until they are totally disgusting.
Gracie on the other hand wages war with them nightly. She stalks them, hooks
them with her paw to make them
jump as if alive, and rabbit kicks them to death by turn. (George Bush is a
new fav! It is pretty hilarious watching his red cowboy boots stick up and
flop around while my Great Hunter is rabbit-kicking him into submission.)

Our bed is covered with the things after I make it, but gradually over the
day and night they wind up on the floor from being flipped and body slammed
.. She also loves to lip them while being petted. Little hedonist!

Old December 3rd 05, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
claudel wrote:

Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?

Believe it or not, I once had a cat that would walk on the treadmill
when it was in motion and would seemingly be fascinated by walking
without going anywhere.

The other cat I had at the time would go flying out the back end of the
treadmill and never catch onto it. One would think that cat wasn't the
smart one; however, maybe this was all by design. :-D

You have entirely too much fun with your cats, Joe.

Old December 3rd 05, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ,
Joe Canuck wrote:
claudel wrote:

Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?

Believe it or not, I once had a cat that would walk on the treadmill
when it was in motion and would seemingly be fascinated by walking
without going anywhere.

The other cat I had at the time would go flying out the back end of the
treadmill and never catch onto it. One would think that cat wasn't the
smart one; however, maybe this was all by design. :-D

I'm pretty sure I once saw something resembling a giant hamster
wheel for sale at a cat show. I can't, however, figure out how
to get a cat (especially Bubba) to use one, unless for some reason
they wanted to.

Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
exercise?

Yes, but most involve some effort on your part as well... kitty isn't
going to exercise unless you pitch in. :-D

Yeah. He'll chase the fish on a pole as long as I move it
for him, but it just doesn't seem like it burns enough
calories for him.

Claude