anyone has PC pet insurance?

Old April 9th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default anyone has PC pet insurance?

Does anyone has PC pet insurance in Canada? I think this is fairly new.
I appreciate hearing any opinion on this insurace.
Info can be found at http://www.pcinsurance.ca/ROCEN/PI.asp?referid=leftnav

With the rising cost of vet bills for an aging cat, I am considering getting
insurance
for Rusty. But since he is almost 12 years old, many insurance will not
accept him.
With his history of urinary problems, even PC pet insurance which accepts
pets
at any age will exclude coverage on urinary problems for him.
So I am uncertain whether it is worth it or not. The info didn't indicate
whether
blood and urine tests are covered. I found those quite costly.

I will like also like to hear opinions on pet insurace in general.

Thanks!

--
Winnie

Old April 9th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:

Does anyone has PC pet insurance in Canada? I think this is fairly new.
I appreciate hearing any opinion on this insurace.
Info can be found at http://www.pcinsurance.ca/ROCEN/PI.asp?referid=leftnav

With the rising cost of vet bills for an aging cat, I am considering getting
insurance
for Rusty. But since he is almost 12 years old, many insurance will not
accept him.
With his history of urinary problems, even PC pet insurance which accepts
pets
at any age will exclude coverage on urinary problems for him.
So I am uncertain whether it is worth it or not. The info didn't indicate
whether
blood and urine tests are covered. I found those quite costly.

I will like also like to hear opinions on pet insurace in general.

I had pet insurance on my cats when it first was offered in
the U.S. I soon decided it wasn't worth the price - at
least not in the form in which it was available then. The
premium is on a sliding scale, depending upon the pet's age,
so if you have a healthy older pet, you may find yourself
paying out more in premiums than you would in pay-as-you-go
fees. It did not cover routine shots and exams, which were
all my guys needed, most of the time. IIRC, the total
coverage had a (fairly low) ceiling, above which I'd have
had to pay the whole bill, anyway.....

Policies may have changed considerably since then (it WAS
quite a few years ago), so I don't want to discourage you
entirely. However, just remember that insurance companies
are in business to make money, so be very sure what you'll
be getting, and EXACTLY how much you'll be paying.

(After looking into the much touted Medicare drug coverage
for U.S. senior citizens, I opted not to sign up, since most
of the medications I take are not covered, and the co-pay
plus the premium would have been more than I pay now for the
items it DOES cover!)

Old April 9th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"W. Leong" wrote in
:

Does anyone has PC pet insurance in Canada? I think this is fairly
new. I appreciate hearing any opinion on this insurace.
Info can be found at
http://www.pcinsurance.ca/ROCEN/PI.asp?referid=leftnav

With the rising cost of vet bills for an aging cat, I am considering
getting insurance
for Rusty. But since he is almost 12 years old, many insurance will
not accept him.
With his history of urinary problems, even PC pet insurance which
accepts pets
at any age will exclude coverage on urinary problems for him.
So I am uncertain whether it is worth it or not. The info didn't
indicate whether
blood and urine tests are covered. I found those quite costly.

I will like also like to hear opinions on pet insurace in general.

Thanks!

If you started right now and put away the amount the insurance policy
would cost every month, I bet it would cover most of the vet bills.

Chak

--
Any sufficiently advanced bureaucracy is indistinguishable from molasses.
Old April 9th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I understand that. But I am wondering whether I should get inurance for any
future problems
such as diabetes, kidney problems, hyperthyroid etc which are common among
older cats.
Currently Rusty does not have these problems, but as he ages he will be at
risk for them.
What do other cat slaves do as their cats age?

On the other hand, I don't even have supplemental medical insurance for
myself. I just got
the basic governement health insurance, and I am aging as well. But not old
enough to
qualify for senior health benefits. I can't even get critical illness
insurance as I am too old
for that.
So with Rusty's vet bills and my own health expenses I am looking at
potentially a large sum.
Not a pleasant thought. Some said health is more important than money. But
without money how do you pay for the needed medical services and drugs etc
to maintain ones'
health. I better stop before I get more depressed thinking about it.

Winnie

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Winnie,
unfortunately any insurance will decline coverage to pre-existing
conditions.
Before you apply make sure you read all the exclusions, so you don't
have any surprises when you need it.

Old April 9th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

That's what I've been thinking in the past.
But the 2 visits to the vet in the last couple of weeks already cost more
than one year of premiums.
Granted, things like vacccnations and checkup won't be covered.
Someone once told me I always have the option of not treating a serious
illness like cancer if
I can't afford to pay for it.

Winnie

44.170...

Old April 10th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
That's what I've been thinking in the past.
But the 2 visits to the vet in the last couple of weeks already cost
more than one year of premiums.
Granted, things like vacccnations and checkup won't be covered.
Someone once told me I always have the option of not treating a
serious illness like cancer if
I can't afford to pay for it.

Winnie

I don't know about Canada, but where I live not all vets accept pet
insurance. The Avian vet where I take Peaches accepts it, but the vet I
take Persia to won't, so I've never bothered to purchase it.

If you know your vet, they may be willing to work out payment arrangements
for you. My little dog Sampson (RB) got very ill the morning I was moving
to this apartment back in 1998 and I thought it was the end for him. It
wasn't, yet, but when I picked him up the next day the bill was over $400.
I had just paid out all this money to move - you know how it is, paying
first/last month rent, security deposit, deposit to get the electric turned
on, etc. I started crying when the receptionist told me how much the bill
was. She said, "Oh, hey, don't worry. We can work something out." Because
he had been a patient there for 5 or 6 years, they broke the bill down into
increments and I was able to pay them a little each month.

The same thing happened when Persia had her emergency surgery in 2004. The
bill was almost $1,000. John (thank the lord) paid $900 of it but the
medications and other stuff, well... I was able to pay in increments because
they knew me and knew Persia.

Jill

44.170...

Old April 10th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

Rusty's vet accepts pet insurance. I discussed pet insurance with him when I
first
adopted Rusty almost 12 years ago.
I always paid the vet in full using my credit
card. He probably will accept payments in installments as Rusty has been his
patient for so long. My problem is not with paying a lump sum or in
installments, but just with facing a huge vet bill. I already paid $500 in
vet bills in the
last couple of weeks and the year is not half over yet.
It only involved some shots, full blood and urine tests, exams, and nothing
major.
Things just add up, eg.a shot of Program costs $50.
Of course there is also prescription food.
I dreaded what the bill will be like if Rusty develop things like diabetes,
kidney
problems which are fairly common among older cats.
But with all the deductions (which are higher for an older pet) and
copayment that comes with pet insurance, I probably will not get pet
insurance afterall.
Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

I was grocery shopping today and saw an ad on PC pet insurance that accepts
pets of all ages.
So I decided to take a closer look.

Winnie

44.170...

Old April 10th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:

[...]

I came to the same conclusion after checking out several policies. I opted,
instead, to open a special savings account just for Holly and Duffy. I put
a small amount into it every month, and I have not touched it for anything
so far. It is not for routine exams or even for minor problems. It is
reserved for any major problems that may crop up in the future (and they
will, as my cats age, at least if my previous cats are indicators). I hope
that I will have a reasonable fund by the time it is needed so that I can
self-insure. That takes some risks that not enough time will elapse, but I
think it is likely to provide better care than most insurance policies. (I
am in the U.S., so I do not have specific information about Canadian
policies.)

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Old April 10th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"W. Leong" wrote in message
[...]

I already sent one message with my general thoughts on pet insurance (and
the route that I have taken). However, you have listed some very
specific -- and logical -- concerns. Have you talked to your vet about
this? I think a good vet might be in the best position to help you evaluate
the actual policy (such as, past record of coverage for illnesses in aging
pets and possibly a recommendation for specific companies to consider or to
avoid).

MaryL

Old April 10th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I already sent one message with my general thoughts on pet insurance (and
the route that I have taken). However, you have listed some very
specific -- and logical -- concerns. Have you talked to your vet about
this? I think a good vet might be in the best position to help you
evaluate the actual policy (such as, past record of coverage for illnesses
in aging pets and possibly a recommendation for specific companies to
consider or to avoid).

MaryL

That's a good idea. Thanks!

Winnie