[BW] For mathematical cat lovers

Old September 6th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [BW] For mathematical cat lovers

Mark Edwards wrote:

If you love math, as well as cats, you might get a grin out of this
web comic:

http://xkcd.com/c26.html

As someone with a bachelor's degree in math, I am deeply embarrassed to
have to ask: what is a Fourier transform? Either I didn't learn this, or,
even worse, I did learn it and have completely forgotten it.

Joyce
Old September 6th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

wrote

As someone with a bachelor's degree in math, I am deeply embarrassed to
have to ask: what is a Fourier transform? Either I didn't learn this, or,
even worse, I did learn it and have completely forgotten it.

Don't be embarrassed, it is PhD-level stuff.

Old September 6th 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 6th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Victor Martinez wrote:

wrote:
As someone with a bachelor's degree in math, I am deeply embarrassed to
have to ask: what is a Fourier transform? Either I didn't learn this, or,
even worse, I did learn it and have completely forgotten it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform

Thanks, Victor. That will be a lot more informative once I'm fully
awake.

Joyce
Old September 6th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

LOL. Is there anything lost when you do that, though? Like when you
find the derivative of a function, and then perform the integral, you
don't exactly get the original back. You get the curve, but it's not
clear where to place it. (Hey, at least I remember something!)

It's been a while since I've done any DSP, so I'm working from foggy
memory here, but as long as the data sampling meets the Nyquist sampling
criterion then the data that's reconstructed from the Fourier transform
will have fairly low error. Not zero error, though.

Discrete Fourier Transforms can be done using complex numbers or real
numbers. Complex datasets will yield closer approximations.

I guess I really ought to break out some of my old textbooks and play with
DFT and FFT again. I've forgotten almost everything I used to know about
it!

Dan
Old September 6th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Dan M wrote:

LOL. Is there anything lost when you do that, though? Like when you
find the derivative of a function, and then perform the integral, you
don't exactly get the original back. You get the curve, but it's not
clear where to place it. (Hey, at least I remember something!)

It's been a while since I've done any DSP, so I'm working from foggy
memory here, but as long as the data sampling meets the Nyquist sampling
criterion then the data that's reconstructed from the Fourier transform
will have fairly low error. Not zero error, though.

Not zero, eh? Might be a bit tough on a Fourier-transformed kitty, then!

Joyce
Old September 6th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

Not zero, eh? Might be a bit tough on a Fourier-transformed kitty, then!

Joyce

Yeah - a tortie might come out as a calico