New Litter : Feline PINE

Old September 6th 06, 08:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
123456789

Default New Litter : Feline PINE

I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter. It's
called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all. You
scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or two
when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.

Old September 6th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Negron

On 2006-09-06, 123456789 wrote:
I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter. It's
called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all. You
scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or two
when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.

We've been using it for a few months. It has upsides and downsides
compared to the clay-based litter:

On the one hand, Romeo tracks far less of it when he comes out of the
litter box, it's much easier to clean, has no unpleasant odor (just a
slight sawdust odor), and it's more environmentally friendly (we simply
spread it over the dirt in the backyard, instead of throwing it out with
the trash). I've found that their recommendation of one inch of litter
lasts just about two weeks (sometimes a day or two less).

However, I've calculated that it costs somewhat more than twice what the
least expensive clumping litter (the type we used before we switched).

I'm also suspicous that the Feline Pine may have caused Romeo to get
sick, though this is only a suspicion at this time. He's been lethargic
and sleeping more than usual for the past couple of weeks, and now he's
not eating and has been losing weight. I'm bringing him to the vet
tomorrow to see what's up. I'm suspicious of the Feline Pine because
we've found some of it on his bed (we never used to find the clay-based
litter on his bed), and this has caused me to suspect that the
urine-soaked litter has been sticking to his paws, and when he licks his
paws to clean himself he's been ingesting some of the urine-soaked
litter. I'll see what the vet says tomorrow before I decide whether to
switch back to the clay-based clumping litter.

Nature is a revelation of God; Art a revelation of man.

--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

War is good for business - invest your son.

--antiwar bumper sticker from the 1960s
Joe Negron from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY, USA
Old September 6th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

123456789 wrote:
I was getting tired of cleaning up normal litter from all over the place
after the cats track through the house, so I found this new litter.
It's called Feline Pine. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

It's great. The urine turns into SAWDUST! and does not smell at all.
You scoop the poop and flush and that's it. You change it every week or
two when all the pine pellets turn into sawdust.

Yep, that's what we use! I like the fact there is no smell and it
composts very easily.

We used a recycled paper pellet before and there is more tracking with
Feline Pine, but the difference in smell is worth it.

Rhonda

Old September 7th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mishi

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:38:47 GMT, Joe Negron
wrote:

On 2006-09-06, 123456789 wrote:
[...]

I have been using a pine pellet litter for close to a year now, and
haven't had any problems. I buy pellet bedding, which is 4.75 (US)
for 40 lbs. You should be able to get some at a feed store or
agricultural store, and I have also heard of people using the pellet
stove pellets - the cost is about the same.

Mishi