Roundworm

Old July 3rd 03, 03:35 AM
Gail

Default Roundworm

I would wait for the meds recommended by the vet. I would not worm with over
the counter meds.
Gail
"Cheryl" wrote in message
I just discovered that Bonnie has a belly full of roundworms. She had
a dose of Drontal when she was spayed but I neglected to get the
followup (even with all the trips to the clinic for shots.. bad bad
me.) Anyhow, everything was normal up until today. Litterbox output -
fine. Eating - fine. No vomiting at all since she's been here
(nearly 7 wks). Today I come home from work and she hadn't touched
her food all day, had peed on the newpaper in the cage and Shamrock
was being mean to her. Not even a half hour after I got home she
vomited and there were two coiled up worms in it. Quick net search to
ID it and then called my vet. Gone home for the day. Clinic also
closed until tomorrow. Googled for OTC worm treatments and found
Piperazine. Any luck with this, anyone? I know Drontal or Panacur or
even Revolution would be the proper choice but I'm limited until
tomorrow. I got some of the OTC but since I can only give her meds
mixed with food and her tummy isn't feeling well right now, I can't
get much into her. Can I still get some Drontal for her tomorrow on
top of the little bit of Piperazine that I managed to get into her
tonight? Needless to say she's back in quarantine until I get
dewormer for all.

Dang it.. now I have to deworm Shadow and Shamrock... ggggggrrrrrrrr

--
Cheryl

Old July 3rd 03, 03:45 AM
Phil P.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't use any OTC wormer - especially piperazine - and especially in
Shadow. Here's an excerpt from my veterinary drug handbook.

"Piperazine should be considered contraindicated in patients with chronic
liver or kidney disease, and in patients with gastrointestinal
hypomotility."

I'm sending you the drug monograph via email.

Phil

--
Cheryl

Old July 3rd 03, 03:55 AM
Cheryl

Phil P. wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

Dang it.. now I have to deworm Shadow and Shamrock...

ggggggrrrrrrrr

I wouldn't use any OTC wormer - especially piperazine - and
especially in Shadow. Here's an excerpt from my veterinary drug
handbook.

"Piperazine should be considered contraindicated in patients with
chronic liver or kidney disease, and in patients with

gastrointestinal
hypomotility."

I'm sending you the drug monograph via email.

Phil

Hey stranger! Thanks, I wasn't going to use the OTC stuff on Shadow,
it was just the feral that was vomiting worms and I panicked when I
couldn't get a prescription quickly. She didn't eat much so not much
of it went in her (I have to spoonfeed meds into her mixed with a/d).
I'm going to get Drontal or Panacur for the whole gang tomorrow... the
other two don't show any signs of worms and for real they don't have
any physical contact with the feral except for Shamrock and batting
each other through the cage bars but I think to be safe I need to
deworm them all. When she vomited, the worms were spit out on the
floor outside the cage. I've read about Panacur use with chronic
diarrhea so maybe that isn't a bad therapy anyways for Shadow. Thanks
so much for reading this!!

--
Cheryl

--