Found a little kitten

Old October 4th 05, 03:11 PM
Vicki Vicki is offline
Junior Member

Default Found a little kitten

I have just found a little kitten in the car park at work. There were a few others running around but this one was just curled up in a ball with its eyes shut and shivering. It didnt move when i went to pick it up so I brought in inside. Its eyes lookes a bit pussy so I have wiped them and it opened them. It has had a little drink of milk but it isnt moving very much.

We have got one of those little bottles and some kitten formula milk.

The thing is im not sure what to do with it. I dont mind keeping it. I was going to take it home and if it seems ill in the morning I will take it to the vets. Im just a bit worried about disease. I have a dog and dont want it to catch anything. Mum is minding my dog tonight for me so I can care for the cat. Should I just put it back outside and see if its mum comes for it? Or nurse it back to health?

Ive never had a cat before so Im just after a little advice really.

Thanks
Old October 4th 05, 07:30 PM
Dan M

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 14:11:17 +0000, Vicki wrote:

I have just found a little kitten in the car park at work. There were a
few others running around but this one was just curled up in a ball
with its eyes shut and shivering. It didnt move when i went to pick it
up so I brought in inside. Its eyes lookes a bit pussy so I have wiped
them and it opened them. It has had a little drink of milk but it isnt
moving very much.

We have got one of those little bottles and some kitten formula milk.

If it was curled up and shivering and not moving much then it's probably
either very weak or ill. I would recommend an immediate trip to the vet.
There's a good chance that the vet will be able to set it right and get it
healthy again. Getting the kitten to take a little bit of milk is a very
good start, but I really would recommend against waiting to get it to the
vet.

Thank you for taking the little one in. It can be a bit of effort raising
a really tiny kitten, but it is so very worthwhile. The love and
companionship you receive in return is priceless.

Dan
Old October 5th 05, 12:30 PM
Fred Williams

On $DATE , Vicki wrote:

[...]

If you can afford it, please take the little fellow to the vets as
soon as possible. Sleeping and not moving when picked up by a
stranger is a sign of very low energy and not long to live. From
what you say, I'm guessing that this litter was born outside and
have not been cared for by humans. Does that seem like the case
to you? Thee very kindest hearted people would keep an eye on the
other cats and look out for the mother if possible. It's a big
job these days to keep them all together and in good health. Only
you know how far you're willing to go and I wish you the best of
luck with it. The mother might come to her little one of her own
free will, if she's still around and unharmed. If she's not, the
other kittens will soon be in trouble also.
Best wishes to you all.

--
Regards,
Fred.
Old October 6th 05, 09:45 AM
Vicki Vicki is offline
Junior Member

Thank you. I am taking him to the vets tonight (it was the earliest I could get). He is now a bit more alive. Hes drinking lots of formula milk and even had some scrambled egg last night. Hes coming out of his box to go the toilet and his eyes are looking better as im bathing them lots.

Hes obviously still really skinny and a little weak but I think hes picked up really well. Its possible I may have to find him a new home as my dog didnt seem to like him last night and we had to keep them in seperate rooms (which really isnt practical).

Thanks for all the help
Old October 6th 05, 04:21 PM
Her Royal Highness Cleopatra Silvercat

Thank you. I am taking him to the vets tonight (it was the earliest I
could get). He is now a bit more alive. Hes drinking lots of formula
milk and even had some scrambled egg last night. Hes coming out of his
box to go the toilet and his eyes are looking better as im bathing them
lots.

Hes obviously still really skinny and a little weak but I think hes
picked up really well. Its possible I may have to find him a new home
as my dog didnt seem to like him last night and we had to keep them in
seperate rooms (which really isnt practical).

Thanks for all the help

YES! Excellent news!

You might want to just give them a few days to adjust. It sometimes just
takes a few days for an existing housepet to adjust to having a new family
member. If you make sure that your dog is still getting plenty of
attention, he might settle down a bit and come to accept the kitten. Or,
you might have to rehome the kitten after all.

But now the kitten has a chance to live, thanks to you.

Old October 7th 05, 02:16 AM
Miss Violette

coming in late I hope it works out well, my advice would have been to keep
it warm, I hope to read good news, Soft

Old October 7th 05, 11:08 AM
Vicki Vicki is offline
Junior Member

Well the vet visit went well. He de-fleaed him (yes hes a boy ) and gave me some worming powder. Also some cream for his eyes. He has been estimated at 4-5 weeks old and very underweight. I bought him some kitten food and he is taking it well. Much more active now.

He is being kept apart from the dog for a few weeks until he is much stronger and able to get away if the dog scares him.

I dont know if this will work but here is a photo...

Old October 7th 05, 01:20 PM
Dan M

Vicki wrote:
Well the vet visit went well. He de-fleaed him (yes hes a boy ) and
gave me some worming powder. Also some cream for his eyes. He has been
estimated at 4-5 weeks old and very underweight. I bought him some
kitten food and he is taking it well. Much more active now.

He is being kept apart from the dog for a few weeks until he is much
stronger and able to get away if the dog scares him.

I dont know if this will work but here is a photo...

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../DSC01278.jpg]

What a cutie! Thanks again for taking the little guy in.
Old October 7th 05, 06:07 PM
FurrsomeFoursome

Awww!!! What a teeny baby. Glad to hear he got vet-checked. He may be
the baby of a stray who couldn't care for them all and abandoned the
"runt" - it happens. So glad he got found. Keep the good kitten food
coming and he'll probably perk right up.

Johanna and the (all rescued/adopted) Foursome