Help with Memorial, please

Old November 21st 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default Help with Memorial, please

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum,
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message "She is dead".
Put crepe bows around the necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policeman wear black cotton gloves.

She was their North, South, East and West,
Their working week and their Sunday rest,
Their noon, their midnight, their talk, their song;
We thought that love would last forever: We were wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Old November 21st 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Forgot to mention the above is an adaptation of W.H. Auden's Funeral Blues.

Old November 22nd 06, 09:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Duke of URL

Default Help with Memorial, please - sayings

@

I just got word that one of our most dedicated volunteers passed away.
She was especially an advocate for the cats. I can't even articulate
what a loss this is to the animals, esp.the cats.

I was working on the december newsletter, and I want to put in some
kind of memorial. Does anyone know of any short stories, poems, or
quotations that would be particularly fitting for such a thing? I
would really appreciate it. I was particularly looking for a
quotation, or a short poem.

Incidentally, she is the one who won the cat tree back at Bark in the
Park Oct. 14. She was just diagnosed with cancer the following Monday,
only a little more than a month ago. She will be missed so much, this
lady had such a big heart. Here is a pic of her then:

http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/denise.jpg

Purrs also would be appreciated for her husband, daughter and
granddaughter.

Sherry

Here's a selection of appropriate sayings; you may be able to use one or
two:

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on
your computer." -- Bruce Graham

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never
forgotten this." -- Anonymous

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through
snow." --Jeff Valdez

"In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats." -- English proverb

"As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat." -- Ellen Perry Berkeley

"One cat just leads to another." -- Ernest Hemingway

"Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message - and get back to you
later." -- Mary Bly

"Cats are rather delicate creatures, and they are subject to a good many
ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia." -- Joseph
Krutch

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life." -- Faith
Resnick

"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by
cats." -- Anonymous

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is
infinitely superior." -- Hippolyte Taine

"No heaven will not ever Heaven be; unless my cats are there to welcome
me." -- Unknown

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. --
Albert Schweitzer

"The cat has too much spirit to have no heart." -- Ernest Menaul

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are G-d."

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." -- Colette

You will always be lucky if you make friends with strange cats." -- Colonial
American proverb

"Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for
what you want." -- Joseph Wood Krutch

"I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic."

"My husband said it was him or the cat. I miss him sometimes."

"No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of
kittens." -- Abraham Lincoln

"The most domestic cat, which has lain on a rug all her days, appears quite
at home on the woods, and, by her sly and stealthy behavior, proves herself
more native there than the regular inhabitants."

"What sort of philosophers are we, who know nothing of the origin and
destiny of cats?" -- Henry David Thoreau

"The really great thing about cats is their endless variety. One can pick a
cat to fit almost any kind of decor, color scheme, income, personality,
mood. But under the fur, whatever color it may be, there still lies,
essentially unchanged, one of the world's free souls." -- Eric Gurney

"Evidence indicates that cats were first tamed in Egypt. I postulate that
cats started as psychic companions, as Familiars, and have never deviated
from this function." -- William Burroughs

"He shut his eyes while Saha (the cat) kept vigil, watching all the
invisible signs that hover over sleeping human beings when the light is put
out." -- Colette

"The ideal of calm exists in a sitting cat." -- Jules Reynard

It as easy to hold quicksilver between your finger and thumb as to keep a
cat that means to escape. -- Andrew Lang

When you're special to a cat, you're special indeed ... she brings to you
the gift of her preference of you, the sound of your voice, the touch of
your hand. -- Leonore Fleischer

Cats love one so much - more than they will allow. But they have so much
wisdom they keep it to themselves. -- Mary Wilkins

If I called her she would pretend not to hear, but would come a few moments
later when it could appear that she had thought of doing so first. -- Arthur
Wiegall

He lives in the half-lights in secret places, free and alone - this
mysterious little great being whom his mistress calls "My cat." -- Margaret
Benson

When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except to put up
with it and wait until the wind changes. -- T S Eliot

Cats always know whether people like or dislike them. They do not always
care enough to do anything about it. -- Winifred Carriere

It is as if Gaia has said to the cats: Here, my beauties - the information
you need in order to hunt, mate, fight, yowl, be cautious, raise children,
is safely packed in the back of your brains. Save your forebrains for
whatever creative inventions may strike you; use your wits to amuse
yourselves and me. -- Elizabeth Thomas

Kittens believe that all nature is occupied with their diversion. -- Paradis
de Moncreif

As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows,
cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human mind. --
Cleveland Armory

It is a very inconvenient habit of kittens (Alice had once made the remark)
that, whatever you say to them, they always purr. -- Lewis Carroll

We all feel somehow released by the simple, honest relationship with the
cat. -- Desmond Morris

The smart cat doesn't let on that he is. -- H G Frommer

Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat
does not. -- Ernest Hemingway

The cat seldom interferes in other people's rights. His intelligence keeps
him from doing many of the fool things that complicate life. -- Carl Van
Vechten

Of all domestic animals the cat is the most expressive. His face is capable
of showing a wide range of expressions. His tail is a mirror of his mind.
His gracefulness is surpassed only by his agility. And, along with all
these, he has a sense of humor. -- Walter Chandoha

It was his firm belief that I had the power to turn off the rain, brush away
the clouds, make the sun come back to shine upon the window ledge, modify
the temperature, and perform other miracles as required. I found my failure
to live up to his high esteem somewhat embarrassing. -- Era Zistel

If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate
the cat. -- Mark Twain

Thou art the Great Cat, the avenger of the Gods, and the judge of words, and
the president of the sovereign chiefs and the governor of the Holy Circle,
thou art indeed... the Great Cat. -- Inscription on the Royal Tombs at
Thebes

If a cat dies in a private house by a natural death (in ancient Egypt), all
the inmates of the house shave their eyebrows. -- Herodotus

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats. -- English proverb

As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat. -- Ellen Perry Berkeley

One cat just leads to another. -- Ernest Hemingway

I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is
infinitely superior. -- Hippolyte Taine

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. --
Albert Schweitzer

You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange
cats. -- Colonial American proverb

Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what
you want. -- Joseph Wood Krutch

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good many
ailments, but I have never heard of one that suffered from insomnia. --
Joseph Wood Krutch

How you behave towards cats here below determines your status in Heaven. --
Robert A Heinlein

Life without cats would be only marginally worth living.

--
Moses Lambert PO1(SW) USN(ret)
Prothonotary Wibbler, Paleoconservative, Surface Warrior Squid,

Old November 24th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got word that one of our most dedicated volunteers passed away.
She was especially an advocate for the cats. I can't even articulate
what a loss this is to the animals, esp.the cats.

I'm so sorry Sherry. We lose too many good people, it seems. I wish I had
something for you to use, but all I can think of is the Rainbow Bridge
thing. I bet she was one of the best catslave there ever was.

Pam S.