Southern Cooking

Old May 20th 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Southern Cooking

No cats in this, they didn't even get a shrimp.

I just made the best dinner. Now I like southern cooking. I grew up
in Washington DC and spent a lot of time in Virginia as well. But
I've been in California for almost forty years now, so I've missed
out of some of the more recent innovations in Southern food.

A few weeks ago an internet friend mentioned that they had shrimp and
grits for dinner in a nice restaurant. I'd vaguely heard of such a
thing and since I love grits and I love shrimp it sounded pretty
good. Next time I was in the store I grabbed a bag of 35 count ready
to cook frozen shrimp. I already had a box of real (NOT instant)
grits in the cupboard. Finally today I had the chance and did some
internet searching for a recipe. Found lots and lots of recipes.
Mostly to the effect of cook the grits and maybe add some cheese.
Cook the shrimp in oil or butter and season it. Serve shrimp over
grits.

So, I cooked a pot of grits. About four cups of water and a cup of
grits, adjust so it isn't too thick or too thin, add salt and simmer
for twenty minutes. Stir once in a while so it doesn't stick to the
pan and scorch. When was done, I added about a cup of grated white
American cheese. Set it off the stove while I cooked the shrimp.

While the grits were cooking, I thawed about a pound of shrimp in a
colander under running water. Then after the grits were done and
resting, I melted half a stick of butter in the bottom of a frying
pan. I added about a tablespoon of olive oil to that, and figured I
should season it before I put in the shrimp since they cook so fast.
I added about a half tablespoon of minced garlic and about a
tablespoon of Emeril's Essence seasoning to the oil. Looked like it
needed some green and I know my grandson won't touch green onions so
I added some freeze dried chives. I wasn't too sure about trying to
feed him grits as it was. Got the pan good and hot, dried of the
shrimp a bit with some paper towels and tossed them in. Stirred till
they were done.

I put a scoop of grits into the bottom of three soup bowls, topped
them with the shrimp and them drizzled some of the oil the shrimp
cooked in over the tops. Had some collard greens on the side just to
stay southern. When I went in to clean up the kitchen, Charlie and
Steven had not only cleaned their plates, they finished up the left
over's as well. I will be doing this again.

The cats are trying to figure out why the kitchen smells so good and
there is nothing in their bowls but kibble.

Jo

Old May 20th 10, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message
[...]

Ah yes, shrimp and grits. I've lived in the southern US since I was 12. It
took me until I was 40-something to discover this classic southern dish.
That's probably because I don't eat out a lot. You'll find this on many
restaurant menus, particularly here in the lowcountry of South Carolina
where shrimping is an industry. Sounds like ya done good, Jo

Jill

Old May 20th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

I'm sure it would. I'd try it in a second if I could get decent
scallops at a reasonable price around here. Still feeding growing
boys.

Jo

Old May 20th 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message
I'm sure it would. I'd try it in a second if I could get decent scallops
at a reasonable price around here. Still feeding growing boys.

Jo

Mmmm, scallops! No reason why they wouldn't work. I often make scallops on
the grill. You need to thread them on skewers (double skewers so they don't
spin around when you turn them) and brush them lightly with olive oil. And
yes, they go very well over grits. But they're expensive. I buy them
occasionally as a treat.

Jill

Old May 21st 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Jofirey typed:
[...]

Glad everyone loved it.... but I have to ask, what on earth is/are grits?

Yowie

Old May 21st 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
Jofirey typed:
[...]

Pretty much, corn meal mush, or if you want to get fancy Polenta.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

If you really are Southern, corn meal mush is regular corn meal
boiled in water, Polenta is coarsely ground corn meal boiled in
water, and grits are ground dried hominy boiled in water. Hominy is
corn that has had the hull removed from the kernels.

One of those things that's like mothers milk to those who were raised
with it, and rather dismaying to anyone who first sees it as an
adult. Rather like Poi in Hawaii.

When we were kids my mom would make a pot of corn meal mush for after
school on really cold miserable days. But we were told not to tell
the neighbors about it as they would think we were poor if we ate
mush.

Jo

Old May 21st 10, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
Jofirey typed:
[...]

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. LOL Seriously, grits are
coursely ground corn which has been hulled, similar to corn meal or masa.
It's often eaten as a breakfast item, much like oats or cream of wheat.

I once sent a box of grits to a woman in Australia. The box of grits cost
me $1. The shipping cost me $5. They held it in customs for 3 weeks in
case it was "contaminated". She told me it was going to cost her $40 to get
the package out of quarantine. That was the most expensive box of grits I
ever bought. And no, she never did pick it up. Sorry, I'm not sending
anyone more grits. LOL

Jill

Old May 21st 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
jmcquown typed:
"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
Jofirey typed:
[...]

I know polenta from Italian friends. The boil it, then either bake it, or
then fry it. It doesn't really do much for me either way, although I like
the fried version slightly better.

Australians eat semolina (roughly ground wheat) for breakfast, but to me
semolina (cooked in milk) is a dessert.

I really do have to come to the USA and do a food tour, particularly of the
South. Although I still balk at the idea of sucking the orange stuff out of
crawfish heads :-)

Yowie