Preferred Golf Ball

Old January 19th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

Default Preferred Golf Ball

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 19:07:20 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

LOL It's as good an explanation as any. BTW, I don't know about Buffy
but Persia absolutely despised tuna. Early on I had to give Persia a
pill. The vet suggested hiding it in some water-packed human tuna:
she'll love it! Persia looked at me like "You expect me to EAT this?!"
She never cared for fishy cat food, either. Chicken, turkey, beef,
yep. In subsequent years I discovered Greenies Pill Pockets (chicken),
which usually worked.

Minnie seems to change her menu preferences from time to time. I just offer to
share whatever I'm eating with her (as long as it's not anything harmful to
cats, like chocolate). She used to get half a slice of balogna every afternoon
when I made my lunch. Then she got tired of it and wouldn't eat it any more, and
her current favorite is that prepackaged Oscar Meyer ham that has little bits of
cheese in it. She loved the ham I made for New Year's too. She also currently
loves cherry fruit pies. Won't eat the crust, but considers it a personal insult
if she doesn't get to have her share of the filling.

Tuna...if I give it to her and I'm not having any, it will sit in her bowl and
rot. But let her see me making macaroni salad or my quick-and-dirty tuna
casserole, she wants her cut of the tuna before I mix it in. She knows when I'm
making either of those because she sees me boil the pasta first while I collect
the other ingredients on the kitchen counter. It's one of the rare times she'll
actually meow at me rather than use one of her more usual vocalizations.

Her favorite kitty treat right now - the only ones she's ever had, in fact - are
the chicken-flavored Pounce ones. I chose them to be her first kitty treats
because they're soft and moist and apparently cats think they're tasty because
I've yet to see a cat that didn't come running from anywhere within earshot upon
hearing me get out the Pounce and shake it No matter what she's doing, she
stops and gives me her undivided attention the instant she sees me open the door
to the cupboard she knows they're stored in...and when I haven't seen her for a
while and don't know where she's hiding, I can just go get out the jar of Pounce
and give it a few shakes and in a few seconds she'll be standing at my feet
rubbing up on my legs with her tail straight up and twitching and "Happy Kitty"
just written all over her - a scene you can witness at least once a day here,
since I didn't get them to put them in the cupboard and look at them!.

LOL...we've now gone from golf balls to eating habits - WHAT topic drift?

Pill Pockets are a gift from heaven! In my experience, trying to pill a cat
without them has generally been a disaster for all parties concerned.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 19th 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Pill Pockets are a gift from heaven! In my experience, trying
to pill a cat without them has generally been a disaster for
all parties concerned.

I roll Chloe's anti-thyroid pills in a marble-sized blob of pate
from Lidl. She forms an orderly queue for one twice a day (only
occasionally "forgetting" that she's already had it).

Old January 19th 17, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/18/2017 8:24 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
[...]

Lots of thread drift here. But it's good, cat related thread drift!
Feel free to start new threads. I have to say, I love your kitten
Minnie already. Do you have any pics of her?

Jill

Jill
Old January 19th 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 20:50:31 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

Lots of thread drift here. But it's good, cat related thread drift!
Feel free to start new threads. I have to say, I love your kitten
Minnie already. Do you have any pics of her?

Not yet, but it's funny you should mention it, because just this morning while
sitting at the kitchen table sipping a cup of coffee and watching Minnie prowl
around near the baking table in the corner to make sure a family of mice hadn't
set up shop under there overnight while we were sleeping, I thought about
digging out my old digital camera and putting some batteries on it so I could
take a few pics and put them online using a free image hosting site such as
ImageBam. I just wasn't sure anyone else would be interested in them.

Now that I know someone is, I guess I better...well, just start hunting for
batteries, actually, because I just spotted the camera itself hiding in plain
sight about five feet away from me!

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 19th 17, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

John Kasupski wrote:

She also currently loves cherry fruit pies. Won't eat the crust, but
considers it a personal insult if she doesn't get to have her share of
the filling.

I had a cat (Smudge, who I talked about in my posts yesterday) who would
probably eat *only* the crust. She was a carbohydrate fiend! Soon after I
adopted her, I came home one evening to find bags of pasta and rice torn
open and the contents spilled all over the floor. So those items had to be
moved to somewhere less accessible.

When I had some friends over for dinner one evening, I was out on the front
porch grilling the fish, when suddenly one of then yelled, "Joyce! Come
quick! Smudge is attacking the bread!" They had brought one of those artisanal
breads from a bakery, and Smudge wasn't about to let the humans have all of it.

And then there was the time I came home from grocery shopping, and (foolishly)
put the bag on the floor while unpacking a different bag. Next thing I knew,
Smudge had gotten into the bag. She ignored the raw chicken and the cheese
that were in there, and had torn open a bag of English muffins.

Pill Pockets are a gift from heaven! In my experience, trying to pill a cat
without them has generally been a disaster for all parties concerned.

Yeah, whenever a dog owner claims that "cats are much easier pets than dogs,"
I know that they have never tried to pill a cat. The last time I took care
of someone's dog, I had to give him medication every night. All I had to do
was stick the pill inside one of those bacon-cheese treats and toss it in
the air. He'd catch it and swallow it whole.

Joyce

--
"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene
Old January 19th 17, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

John Kasupski wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 20:50:31 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

Lots of thread drift here. But it's good, cat related thread drift!
Feel free to start new threads. I have to say, I love your kitten
Minnie already. Do you have any pics of her?

Not yet, but it's funny you should mention it, because just this morning
while sitting at the kitchen table sipping a cup of coffee and watching
Minnie prowl around near the baking table in the corner to make sure a
family of mice hadn't set up shop under there overnight while we were
sleeping, I thought about digging out my old digital camera and putting
some batteries on it so I could take a few pics and put them online using
a free image hosting site such as ImageBam. I just wasn't sure anyone else
would be interested in them.

You don't know us very well, yet. Pictures of Minnie will be very well
received here, I guarantee it.

Joyce

Old January 19th 17, 08:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 04:24:06 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

And then there was the time I came home from grocery shopping, and (foolishly)
put the bag on the floor while unpacking a different bag. Next thing I knew,
Smudge had gotten into the bag. She ignored the raw chicken and the cheese
that were in there, and had torn open a bag of English muffins.

I've been fortunate. I love to eat, but I hate grocery shopping...so when I go,
often I bring home a month or more worth of stuff. I end up with it everywhere,
waiting for me to put it all away. It's on the table, on the chairs, both
countertops, on top of the stove, and - of course - on the floor.

Minnie will sniff things that are on the floor - by which I mean to say, she'll
sniff EVERYTHING that's on the floor. But she has yet to rip anything open, even
when I leave bags of rice and pasta in cardboard boxes on the floor because all
of my cupboards are already stuffed and there's no more room.

That is Minnie's part of our unspoken agreement about food storage around here.
My part of the deal is that she gets first crack at claiming any cardboard boxes
she decides she wants as they gradually become empty. She's actually got two of
them in the kitchen now and there's a third one she's decided she wants but we
haven't agreed on a place for her to put it yet.

Yeah, whenever a dog owner claims that "cats are much easier pets than dogs,"
I know that they have never tried to pill a cat. The last time I took care
of someone's dog, I had to give him medication every night. All I had to do
was stick the pill inside one of those bacon-cheese treats and toss it in
the air. He'd catch it and swallow it whole.

LOL...Joyce, don't even get me started on dog owners. This is another topic I'm
sure I could write a book on.

I reached the conclusion long ago that the average dog owner is 99% clueless
about cats. The 1% that they usually do know is that it's better to keep their
dogs away from our cats unless they were already planning a trip to the vet's
anyway, although not all of them even know that. Often the dogs are smarter
about that than their owners. Your neighbor might bring a dog along into your
yard to chat with you even though your cat is standing there hissing with back
raised and fur standing up, but the dog's body language usually says, "No,
please...this is bound to end horribly...can't we just go back home now?" Yet
the neighbor will let the dog approach a cat who appears ready in all respects
to be photographed for the next issue of Halloween Cat Quarterly - even ignoring
a warning from you to keep the dog away - and then as soon as the cat quite
predictably accepts this thoughtful invitation to use the poor dog's face for a
scratching post, the outraged dog owner will invariably cry, "That cat's crazy!"

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY