More on Marlo

Old July 21st 16, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default More on Marlo

On 7/21/2016 5:47 PM, dgk wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 23:12:46 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

dgk wrote:

MaryL wrote:

Yes, my sister only wanted to use drugs as a last resort. She waited
for several years before turning to Tufts, but it was like a miracle for
her cat. They recommended Prozac and provided a great deal of
information. She took the information to her vet, and he prescribed the
dosage of Prozac that Tufts had recommended. Solution found!

The (sort of) funny part is that the vet mentoned that I might have to
call in a feline behavioral expert. They come to your house and try to
figure out what is driving your cat bonkers. Really. I wonder if
Jackson is available? Marlo is hardly a Cat From Hell but that sounds
like what he does.

If Jackson came to your house, he would tell you that your cats need lots
of high places to hang out where they would feel safe. And they'd need
more play time.

This isn't my opinion necessarily, because I don't know how many high
perches you already have in your house, or whether you play with them a
lot (or they play with each other). But I've watched a number of his
shows and he pretty much always says the same thing - especially about
the high perches.

There are several cat trees and Baby lives under the bed.

But the problem does seem to be Baby. Marlo definitely does not like
Baby and lately chases her around the house. I stop it when I see it
but I'm not here all the time. I suspect that her overgrooming has to
do with Baby.

Baby wasn't introduced the way I normally introduce new cats. I
literally pulled her off the street a few days before I moved and then
off we went to Florida in our carrying cases and suddenly we were all
in a new house.

I think it's a bit late to do the introduction thing, but maybe I can
rub a towel on Baby and then rub it on Marlo until she gets used to
the smell.

I have a Felliway diffuser running, and Marlo is on some sort of
Prozac, but maybe some "reintroduction therapy" will help. Problem is,
getting Baby to cooperate in any way is very tough.

Well, if I remember correctly Baby was a feral that you were feeding
outside. So yes, you shook up her world. The two may never get along.
But hopefully they'll learn to co-exist.

Jill