bed time ritual with cats

Old June 10th 04, 09:59 PM
Ann

Default bed time ritual with cats

Do you have a bed time ritual with your cats?

I like to know where my cats are before I go to bed even tho the are indoor
cats. Cinnamon has been closed in a closet more than one time or left on the
porch. Before I turn out the last light in the kitchen I always say good
night to Cinnamon and Abby and pet them. (This is a good way to count
noses.) As I head up stairs I will call them to come to bed with me. Most
nights they will get on the bed with me. Some times just for more petting
and other times they will stay all night.

Ann

Old June 10th 04, 10:27 PM
Christopher Havlicek

Ann wrote:

Do you have a bed time ritual with your cats?

I like to know where my cats are before I go to bed even tho the are indoor
cats. Cinnamon has been closed in a closet more than one time or left on the
porch. Before I turn out the last light in the kitchen I always say good
night to Cinnamon and Abby and pet them. (This is a good way to count
noses.) As I head up stairs I will call them to come to bed with me. Most
nights they will get on the bed with me. Some times just for more petting
and other times they will stay all night.

Ann

Heh....if I'm up too late, Katie starts pacing, tapping me with her
paw, and mrrrp-ing at me. *Her* bedtime ritual is to jump up on
the bed as I'm getting in, rub on me a little, knead the covers (but
I'm not supposed to touch her while she's kneading), then she jumps
off the bed to get a drink out of the bowl I have near the bed. None
of this can happen *until* I'm in bed, according to her. Once she's
done drinking, she'll jump back up on the bed and settle in.

Tripper insists on having the bathtub tap turned on about 20 minutes
before Katie starts pestering me. He'll go in and drink, and Katie
will hang out in the tub with him until she decides I'm up too late.
Once she starts nagging, I go in, turn the tap off (assuming Tripper's
finished with his drink), and then it's time for bed. Tripper may
or may not join me...sometimes he likes to sleep in the cat hammock in
the hall instead....

Nah....really...I'm not trained....

Chris

Old June 11th 04, 12:45 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", Christopher Havlicek
artfully composed this message within
on 10 Jun 2004:

Heh....if I'm up too late, Katie starts pacing, tapping me with her
paw, and mrrrp-ing at me.

My RB cat Marley used to do this, not the tapping part, but he'd get
upset if I was up too late. He was such a creature of habit.

--
Cheryl

Old June 11th 04, 02:27 AM
O J

---------------------snip----------------------
Tripper insists on having the bathtub tap turned on about 20 minutes
before Katie starts pestering me. He'll go in and drink, and Katie
will hang out in the tub with him until she decides I'm up too late.
Once she starts nagging, I go in, turn the tap off (assuming Tripper's
finished with his drink), and then it's time for bed. Tripper may
or may not join me...sometimes he likes to sleep in the cat hammock in
the hall instead....

Two of my six sleep with DH most of the time. She often gets an
extra one or two, perhaps sleeping on her head or laying a paw on her
arm. They really manage to snug her and ignore me. My beard
snuggler, Lady Jane Grey, will often lay on my chest for a while, but
mostly the cats ignore me since they figured out that the noises Daddy
makes at night aren't exactly purring.

When Sumo wants Lynda to go to bed, he's not shy about letting
her know. Kitty pats, mrrpps, and acting out are all indicators.
Then, the little rotter will often not join her until his energy runs
out a half hour or so later.

Regards and Purrs,
O J