Political upheaval

Old November 29th 08, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Political upheaval

Shadowcat was named Shadow cat for two reasons: first of all, a then three
year old boy thought it woudl be *hilarious* to name a white cat "Shadow".
Second, it suited her, at least, it suited her more than "Cupboard cat"
which is where she lived most of the time. She seemed very threatened by
Suki and Pickle, even though Pickle and Suki were never agressive towards
her.

Shadow became Queen of the Kitchen. By day, she'd live under the sink,
occasionally putting her nose out just far enough to get a pettins from me,
but she'd hiss and hide from anyone else (except Fluffy, oddly). She'd
attack with ferocity if anyone tried to pick her up and would hiss and then
bite viciously if during a pettins session, my hand (no-one else was game to
do a pettins session) went past a particular part of herback. She was
terrified of anything thrown and would flinch if an open hand was raised
anywhere above her. I still strongly suspect abuse in her past, and the
problem with her back, her viciousness when being picked up and her general
skittishness even made us take her to the vet with suspect spinal injuries -
only to be picke dup , petted and otherwise loved on like a perfect little
princess by the vet.

The vet duly diagnosed her in perfect physical health but a bit neurotic -
as often happens when theyr'e dumped as a kitten and recommended clomicalm,
which we *tried* to get her to take. We gave up after 6 days because I was
quickly running out of things to crush it up into (she'd only ever be fooled
once, and then I'd have to find something else yummy to mix it into) and the
pill popping became so stressful for her and painful for us (she *really*
objected with all the brute force a former street cat can muster). We
figured that we'd just have a cupboard cat, and thats the way it would be.

Slowly but surely she came out of the cupboards, and for the last few months
she's been sleeping under the computer table (which is admittedly less than
a metre from the kitchen). But she was still deathly afraid of Suki & Pickle
(who hadn't raised a paw against her) and hissed at them whenever they were
in her line of sight. If they got too close, they got their ears boxed for
their trouble.

4 days ago, there was one heck of a cat fight at about 3am that woke all of
the hoomin occupants (and the canince outside) up, but by the time we'd
gotten out of bed it was over, and the fur was gently settling across the
furniture like the first snow of the season (since all of them are white).
There was not a cat to be seen and we just went back to bed, figuring they'd
sort themselves out in good time.

The only physical evidence from the Cat Fight from Hell, besides all the
extra clumps of white fur lyingabout, was one single clawmark on the back of
Suki's head and a small scab on Shadow's nose. But since Thursday, Shadow
has slept of Joel's keyboard, the back of the lounge, and the TV. She no
longer minds being petted, and I can stroke her from head to tail with purrs
of pleasure rahter than her trying to remove my hand with her teeth. If
we're on the sofa and she sees me, she'll even come over when called to get
pettins and last night, she hopped onto my lap after a bit of encouragement
and did the purry contented drooly beast thing for over an hour.

The boys have not left ventured any further north in the hosue (the
direction of the kitchen) than my bedroom since thursday, and mostly they
are now hanging out in the bathroom. Suki keeps getting stuck on top of the
shower railing and howls with atter despair until someone comes and rescues
her - at which point she quickly hop - hop - hop backs up again and gives
the mystefied rescuer the filthies for removing her from her throne.

We suspect that the alpha cat status has passed from Pickle to Suki in the
catfight to end all catfights and Suki (who has always been the lower cat on
the rung) no longer knows who to give her allegiance to (it was Pickle, her
brother, but now Shadowcat is the alpha).

Its very disconcerting to see Shadow out and meatloafing casually where Suki
used to - they're both very similar sized white long haired cats, and we
often need a doubletake to figure out which one is which. The beetroot stain
lasted for 3 and a half weeks on Suki and whilst I wouldn't bathe a cat in
beetroot juice inentionally, it was a very good way of quickly distinguising
the two. I wonder whether I could use food dye to paint their ears???

Cary would no doubt be very obliging with regard to his textas,a nd happily
turn his cat into a tiger again (with blue and purple stripes, natch) but
his cat is Pickle (or I should more correctly say that Cary is Pickle's
preferred twolegs) and so it wouldn't help.

Suki has decided that Joel is her twolegs, which still totally bewilders
Joel because he is quite honest about "not being a cat person". This however
doesn't stop Suki from making his lap her own any time she can. Her
particular favourite habit is to show Joel her very becoming pantaloons and
extrodinarily fluffy long tail right inthe middle of a party raid whilst
he's playing World of Warcraft - so much so he's had to remove the automatic
power-off button from his keyboard. Its not unknown to have a flakey ISP and
disconnect in the middle of combat, but a cat just trying to get the
luvvin's she knows is due by walking across the keyboard is another thing
entirely. Still, he learntto play WoW one handed when Cary was a baby, and
Suki cant see why he can't pat her with one and play with the other. Thats
why Bast gave us two hands, of course!

Which leaves me with Shadow. Personally I feel more drawn to Pickle, as he's
got a keen intelligence and a look in his eyes that is reminiscint of
Shmogg, whilst the two long haired one seem to be in a forever spiralling
downwards competition to see who can out stupid the other. Neverthe less
Shadow has deemed me her twolegs and there is no argument to be had with a
cat that has amde up her mind - that and pulled a coup de tat over not one
but two cats that always work in cahoots. What she lacks in actual brains
she makes up in sheer bloody mindedness, and I have to respect a cat that
knows how to bide her time (in this case, about a year).

Gotta run, Suki needs to be rescued yet again. I have no idea why she keeps
going up there and calling for help, but I should have long ago given up
questioning the mind of a cat. I am merely a hoomin, having been enslaved by
the Superior Species long ago, and it is not my place to question the mind
of Cat (even if this one makes a sack of bricks look like a Rhodes scholar
in comparison)

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old November 29th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

The cat keeps needing the rescue person to show the other Cats that "Yes,
you may rule the roost but I "R"U"L"E" the Rooster" so to speak.

Old November 29th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:58:49 +1100, Yowie wrote:

I wonder whether I could use food dye to paint
their ears???

I had as imilar problem with the three nearly identical looking Walsung
red tabbies. I dealt with it by making colored collars by coloring pieces
of 1/2 inch elastic with permanent markers and stapling the ends together.
Sewing would have been better. Of course I made multiples of each since
knew they would lose them. That worked for months until they grew up and
became somewhat distinguishable: Hilde (Brunhilde) is darkest, Chubby
(Sieglinde) has a slightly different face (and a kink at the end of her
tail), and Curly (Siegmund) has a strongly curled tail. Chubby is by far
the noisest and Chubby is the quietest - Hilde talks a lot, but not as
loudly as Curly.

I'm having trouble typing this morning due to CJ being between me and the
keyboard, and kneading the inside of my right elbow.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old November 29th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article ,
"Yowie" wrote:

snip

Gotta run, Suki needs to be rescued yet again. I have no idea why she keeps
going up there and calling for help, but I should have long ago given up
questioning the mind of a cat.

snip

Feh. That one's easy enough: no one has paid any attention to Suki at
*all* for the past five minutes - and that's four and nine tenths
minutes too long. That particular trick would stop once it no longer
worked (although, given nearly sixty years' conscious experience with
felines, something else would take its place within a day or two).

snip

Baird

--
Bumper sticker: "If you can't operate your turn signal,
what makes you think you can drive the rest of the car?"
Old November 30th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

[...]

Go Shadow!! You may have to rename her now.

Must be nice to have "your" kitty hang out in places other than beneath
the kitchen sink, and to actually be able to pet her.

Hope the other two cats adjust to the New Order. Maybe they'll all get
along better now.

(Wait, isn't Shadow really a boy? They're all boys, aren't they?)

--
Joyce ^..^

Lucky, the political cat Bobcat Cat anecdotes 2 October 9th 07 07:15 PM
[OT] Political CatNipped Cat anecdotes 1 April 30th 06 06:03 PM
OT More Political Fun from JibJab Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 0 January 20th 05 07:43 PM
[OT] More Political Parodies Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 3 October 18th 04 09:14 PM