older house cat attacked by feral ...help..no vet

Old April 2nd 04, 11:26 AM
quilterhusband

Default older house cat attacked by feral ...help..no vet

Our older 17yr calico female got out tonight and got attacked by another
cat.
We interrupted before the feral cat could kill her.
She is small, deaf and bit senile I think. It 2am and there is not a vet
with emergency in our area.

I grabbed her and brought her in the house and inspected. There were clumps
of her fir on the ground at the fight seen. Look like she had a puncture
wound in her neck but it had stopped bleeding. She would hiss and growl if
we came near her. When she tries to walk, she has much trouble on her back
legs although there is no outwardly sign of injury there. Immediately after
the fight. After 45 minutes she was not frightened of us any more and we
could touch her. She wobbled over to a favorite spot she feels safe
in...its dark and confined. We are just letting her rest now and checking
every 1/2 hour. She seems to be alert, but just laying with her eyes open.
Everyonce in a while will do a pitiful meow and when I appear she stops and
settle back down. I'm not sure if she is waiting to die or in some sort of
cat shock. She wont eat when offered cat snacks.

Any experience with this sort of cat shock?

PS. how does one trap a feral cat?

Old April 4th 04, 09:57 AM
Willows

There's not much you can do until you can get her to the vet which you
have to do as soon as they open. Just keep her comfortable she will
need to be on medicine for infection from the bite wounds or things will
get really serious. She's obviously in shock just keep things around
her quiet until the vet opens.

PS. how does one trap a feral cat?

First you must buy or borrow a trap, and make sure your cat stays inside
until you've caught this cat and gotten if neutered. If you neuter
and return the feral after about 2 weeks it will calm him down enough
that fighting shouldn't be such a worry.

What do you intend to do with the other cat when you catch him?

Old April 4th 04, 06:45 PM
Cat Protector

I would get this cat to the vet to make sure she doesn't have FELV or FIV.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old April 4th 04, 06:48 PM
Cat Protector

I hope you aren't seriously going to kill the feral. You may be upset but
still the feral has the right to live unless they have rabies. You have to
realize your cat got out and these things will sometimes happen.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"quilterhusband" wrote in message
kill it

Old April 8th 04, 04:42 PM
IloveicecreamR

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR KITTY, ALL THOUGH NO ONE SEEMS TO ENFORCE THE PETS LAWS ALL
PETS WHEN OUTSIDE SHOULD BE LEASHED..... CATS TOO, WOULD PREVENT SUCHAN ADVENT,
SHOULD SHE SNEAK OUT AGAIN, MINE HAVE BEEN TRAINED NOT TO GO NEAR DOORS WHEN
OPENED...... IF NOT BADLY HURT SHE WILL RECOVER ON HER OWN WITH SOLICE AN TIME
AN HUMAN LOVE.. FEERALS ARE A PROBLEM CAN TRY CAGES WITH BAIT INSIDE LEAVE OUT
@ PM S HATE TO SAY IT , BUT BEST SOLUTION IS TO DESTROY THEM THEY ONLY MATE AND
CREATE MORE OF OWN KIND... SORRY