Help. Stressed over sick cat

Old December 21st 03, 04:41 PM
Newsman

Default Help. Stressed over sick cat

My 13 year old diabetic cat Al was hospitalized recently for a week. The
diagnosis was pancreatitis. The vet also performed an ultrasound and
found what he thinks is a benign cyst. Question: is exploratory surgery
the only way the vet can determine whether or not the cyst is benign?

Maintaining Al's blood glucose level has also been problematic.
Yesterday he became hypoglycemic. A little prednisone and syrup brought
Al around. I also gave him prednisone this morning to ward off another
episode. The vet thinks, but doesn't with certainty, that the pancreatic
cyst is "functional" in that it might be causing the pancreas to produce
an excessive amount of insulin. Btw, I asked the vet about insulinoma
but neither he nor a consulting verterinary internist think that's the
problem.

At this point my big concern is that Al is not eating very much. I have
also noticed that Al has some kind of upper respiratory infection. He's
sniffling a lot, has sneezed more than normal, and has some clear
discharge from his eyes. I don't know whether the infection is bacterial
or viral, but Al is also taking Clavamox just in case. Another question:
could the respiratory infection account for Al's diminished appetite?

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. I'm trying to avoid at all
costs taking Al back to the vet because he hates it so much and causes
him much stress and anxiety. I've already spent in excess of $2,000 on
his medical care in just the last week. I don't have endless reserves of
money and so am beginning to think about euthanasia as a possibility if
he fails to show signs of improvement.

This time is proving to be very stressful for Al and me. I'm very
worried about going to work tomorrow. I'd stay home, but I must attend
an important meeting. I will be sure to give Al prednisone tonight and
tomorrow morning before I leave. Any constructive feedback would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Old December 21st 03, 04:59 PM
Karen

in article , Newsman at
wrote on 12/21/03 10:41 AM:

[...]

Yes, if his nose is clogged he won't smell the food and won't eat. Try
steaming up the place a bit to unclog it and warm his food a bit to make it
more smelly. I do believe that every vet I've ever met says there is no
replacement for the human eye on the cyst situation when it is internal.
However, he'll have to be in better shape to have a biopsy. Purrs to you in
this stressful time. I hope Al improves.

Karen

Old December 21st 03, 10:45 PM
Newsman

Laura R. wrote:
circa Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:41:01 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Newsman ) said,

My 13 year old diabetic cat Al was hospitalized recently for a week. The
diagnosis was pancreatitis. The vet also performed an ultrasound and
found what he thinks is a benign cyst. Question: is exploratory surgery
the only way the vet can determine whether or not the cyst is benign?

It depends on the location of the cyst.

[...]

As Karen said, yes, it could. Try the humidifying advice she gave,
and see if you can keep his nose as open as possible. I don't know if
one of those baby snot-sucker things would work, but I guess it would
depend on how congested he is. Ask the vet about a decongestant, as
well. I know that pseudoephedrine can be given to cats (a recent
thread here discussed it), so maybe that's an option.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. I'm trying to avoid at all
costs taking Al back to the vet because he hates it so much and causes
him much stress and anxiety. I've already spent in excess of $2,000 on
his medical care in just the last week. I don't have endless reserves of
money and so am beginning to think about euthanasia as a possibility if
he fails to show signs of improvement.

Believe me, I understand the speed with which costs can mount; Alex
cost me about $10,000 before his diagnosis (lymphoma), but his
subsequent treatment was quite cheap by comparison, and it brought me
nearly two extra quality years with him. I was lucky that at that
time I had a lot of disposable income, but now that I'm living in
ridiculously expensive NYC, it would be much more difficult for me to
shell out $10,000 in a short period of time like I did when Alex got
sick. Explain your concerns to your veterinarian and perhaps he can
offer both payment plans and lower-cost alternatives for some of the
testing and whatnot. If he knows that you need a cost-conservative
diagnostic approach, he can at least reduce some of the costs by not
ordering tests unless and until they're absolutely necessary, etc.

This time is proving to be very stressful for Al and me. I'm very
worried about going to work tomorrow. I'd stay home, but I must attend
an important meeting. I will be sure to give Al prednisone tonight and
tomorrow morning before I leave. Any constructive feedback would be
greatly appreciated.

Is there anybody nearby who might be able to look in on him for you?

Laura

Laura and Karen,

Thanks very much for the information. It's very helpful. Al seems to be
a bit better today in the sense that his vocalizing is beginning to
sound more normal. I am about to go out and buy a warm mist humidifier
for him. My vet also recommended pediatric nose drops. I know he won't
like getting them, but it's for his own good. I need to get him to eat
more. He's slept most of yesterday and today which is understandable
given his week in the hospital. He's also been extraordinarily affectionate.

Unfortunately, I do not have $10,000 to spend on veterinary care, so
let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Thanks again,
Rich