Jammed cat flap

Old June 19th 10, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

Default Jammed cat flap

Tigger was headed from the kitchen into the mudroom through the hole in
that door. Avery, Chloe, and Curly were streaming through the outside
door coming into the mudroom. Tigger stopped in the hole - he's
seriously obese and completely fills the hole (for a moment, I though he
was stuck). He wasn't going to come out with Curly there, but Curly
*had* to get inside *right now*. Curly - no small cat himself - wedged
his head under Tigger's shoulder and somehow managed, with considerable
effort, to dig his way under Tigger. Tigger didn't know what to make of
that: he was jammed in so tight he couldn't do much of anything while
Curly was digging under him - he couldn't go out and he couldn't back
up. Meanwhile, Curly seemed to be stuck as well. After a few seconds of
struggling, Curly got through. Then Tigger came on out into the mud
room, freeing up the hole - Avery and Chloe sort of shot through the hole
and ran to the food bowl (I had just filled the stainless steel bowl and
I'm sure that even though they were outside, they heard the rattle of
kibble on steel). All three of them were there when I got back in.

I'm not sure whether Avery and Chloe went through so quickly because of
the fresh food or because they feared the hole would get jammed up
again. I think Tigger went to the litter pans, though I was so
fascinated by the others that I didn't pay any attention to what he was
doing, but he did move off to that side.

That's the only time I have seen two large cats trying to use the same
hole at the same time in opposite directions. I have seen small cats
passing one another going through a flap in the same direction, but never
such a mass of cats crammed into such a small opening. Maybe you had to
be there, but I thought it was the funniest thing I had seen in a long
time.

--
Ted Davis )
Old June 19th 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

On Jun 18, 7:35*pm, Ted Davis wrote:
[...]

Don't think I had to be there LOL it *is* funny and I can imagine as I
have
a very large cat too. But no flap. Do you think I want strange d-pets
of
any size invading at any hour?
Old June 19th 10, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
[...]

Damn I wish you'd had a video recorder for that - I'd give anything to see
that action. Reminds me of the "America's Home Videos" of the one where a
boy got his head stuck in one of the round cat condos, and would get unstuck
until the cat wiggled its way out aroung the boy's head! Heck, you could
have been a $10,000 prize winner, eligible for the $100,000 video of the
year!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 19th 10, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ted Davis wrote:

[...]

Just shows that cats can ooze through almost anything.

Joyce

--
Let's stop calling it "climate change", it's far too mild. It's like
calling a foreign invasion "unwanted visitors".
Old June 19th 10, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
[...]

They meant to do that, you know.
Karla

Old June 19th 10, 09:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 19 June, 02:35, Ted Davis wrote:
[...]

That fits in with Yowie's theory that cats can shrink at will

Cute story, thank you for sharing.
Jeanette

Old June 19th 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Too bad you don't have pictures, I can think of a dozen LOL sigs for
something like that. And yes, it had to be the funniest thing around. The
other two probably thought the space was shrinking and then had to get to
the food before it went away.

Old June 19th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:01:05 -0700, Bruce wrote:

Do you think I want strange d-pets of
any size invading at any hour?

I'm not sure, but I think the scheme I use to make the outside flap coon
and possum proof would also stop most dogs: the flap is in the wall and
has a porch about a meter's leap upward at a 45 degree angle from the
back steps.

--
Ted Davis )
Old June 19th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

On Jun 19, 7:13*am, Ted Davis wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:01:05 -0700, Bruce wrote:
Do you think I want strange d-pets of
any size invading at any hour?

I'm not sure, but I think the scheme I use to make the outside flap coon
and possum proof would also stop most dogs: the flap is in the wall and
has a porch about a meter's leap upward at a 45 degree angle from the
back steps.

--
Ted Davis )

Clever. May you all remain coon and possum free but I personally know
how smart a determined raccoon can be. Thanks for your description of
cat flap excitement.
Old June 19th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:37:30 -0700, Bruce wrote:

On Jun 19, 7:13Â*am, Ted Davis wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:01:05 -0700, Bruce wrote:
Do you think I want strange d-pets of any size invading at any hour?

I'm not sure, but I think the scheme I use to make the outside flap
coon and possum proof would also stop most dogs: the flap is in the
wall and has a porch about a meter's leap upward at a 45 degree angle
from the back steps.

--
Ted Davis )

Clever. May you all remain coon and possum free but I personally know
how smart a determined raccoon can be. Thanks for your description of
cat flap excitement.

I initially put the outside flap beside the back door, but I got tired of
coons and possums in the house. I did some research and found a site
that described a cat feeding table that was coon and possum proof. I
extracted the central concept and built my cat flap and platform
accordingly. That was at least three years ago - more, I think. Not a
single coon or possum has made it inside since. The only drawback is
that sick, aged, and obese cats may not be able to manage the leap, but
the healthy ones have no trouble.

--
Ted Davis )

The new cat flap doesn't work... Adrian A Cat anecdotes 3 June 9th 06 05:30 AM
A Stranger through the cat flap... HRFLTiger Cat anecdotes 17 April 26th 06 06:23 PM
The Cat Flap... Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 14 February 5th 06 10:19 PM
Cat Flap [email protected] Cats - misc 0 May 6th 05 05:02 AM
Cat Flap Help Mr. Nangla Cat health & behaviour 8 July 4th 03 08:15 PM