Purrs for Kyla please

Old June 19th 10, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

Default UPDATE and thank you's : Purrs for Kyla please

On Jun 19, 1:11*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
Kyla, just a word of advice... Tuesday, after your CAT scan, it really
wasn't a good idea to go out afterwards and eat Thai food (that in itself
might have been partly the reason for your reaction). *And then the day you
had the fire truck come to your house, having Teryaki Chicken was actually
very dangerous for you.
That's enough MSG and sodium to stroke out a horse. Of course your BP went
through the roof.
Were I you I would discuss diet, exercise and weight loss with your doctor
to help prevent things like this in the future.
CatNipped

"Kyla wrote
On Tues, I had a EEG,was in that test for about 2 hours, doing different breathing
including hyperventaling, and when I finally got out of there , we went
out for Thai food , came home and I went to bed. * Wed afternoon was the
CAT scan, with the dye, which was totally wierd, and after, we got home, I
got the trash together to go to the curb, and next thing I know, I went
totally mental, yelling at my dh, was really.hot, nearly fainted, BP thru
the roof, 210/125, dh called 911 (after talking to my neurologist), *and
off to the ER I went, in an ambulance. *
Kyla

You nailed it. 210/125 sustained can and will kill you. Another
interesting but
very subtle mystery is her post that she "throws out the *bad pills*
with the
used cat litter". WHO decides WHICH are her "bad pills"? Her? Her
doc?
Could they be her blood pressure meds that give her unpleasant side
effects?
And WHO is deciding WHICH of her meds is giving the side effects? Her?
IMHO "throwing out the bad pills" tops the Asian food choices. One has
LOL or one might freak to consider more about results from either
practice.
Any arguments, Catnipped?

Old June 19th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

======================

I overlooked that one and you're right, that's even more dangerous
behavior - there are some medications that you have to be "weaned" off of or
you could send yourself into convulsions, seizures and even death. And when
you're dealing with more than one medication you have to consider
interactions (as well as interactions iwth OTC drugs and, yes, even food.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 19th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
...there are some medications that you have to be "weaned" off
of or you could send yourself into convulsions, seizures and
even death. And when you're dealing with more than one
medication you have to consider interactions (as well as
interactions iwth OTC drugs and, yes, even food).

Indeed. I can't take aspirin, because it contra-indicates with
phenytoin (Epanutin). I seem to recall that grapefruit is also a
food to avoid with many drugs.

--
MatSav

Old June 19th 10, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

On Jun 19, 1:58*pm, "MatSav" wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

...there are some medications that you have to be "weaned" off
of or you could send yourself into convulsions, seizures and
even death. *And when you're dealing with more than one
medication you have to consider interactions (as well as
interactions iwth OTC drugs and, yes, even food).

Indeed. I can't take aspirin, because it contra-indicates with
phenytoin (Epanutin). I seem to recall that grapefruit is also a
food to avoid with many drugs.-
MatSav

Ah, fellow Freddie Mercury fan, good to hear from you. I have really
good news on the grapefruit front.
Recently talked by phone to what I call Big Pharm (maker of several
cholesterol drugs i take that have the grapefruit caveat. I hadn't had
any
grapefruit (not a drop of juice either) for 7 years since starting on
these
timed-release meds back then. I love *eating* grapefuit as they were
all
over my backyard growing up and even later.
I had called the drug company about an entirely different drug and
question,
but the subject came up about the grapefruit thing and I was told that
very
NEW research has revealed that (this is outrageous, like much of our
USA
drug warning freak-outs by the FDA here) an adult would have to drink
two
quarts (guess in UK maybe liters?) of grapefruit juice to do any harm
to your
timed-release medicine. Formerly, the edict was NO GRAPEFRUIT JUICE
at all! Thank the Grapefruit God for "further research"...I ran out
and bought
three ruby-reds from TX and gobbled two of them, savoring every
spoonful.
So deprived grapefruit junkies, rejoice and enjoy (just keep it under
two quarts.
As IF, as I said to the phone rep, "like, who would drink two quarts
of grapefruit
juice in one day?" She countered with, "You never know."
Old June 19th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^,,^=

Default UPDATE 2 and thank you's : Purrs for Kyla please

I have had a 'hitch'/muscle spasm in my side since yesterday, have called
the Dr to see what to do about it. Am NOT going back to the ER.. I think it
is from all the being strapped in and moved around in the ambulances, and
the being strapped in too tight when I had my EEG on Tuesday, and reactions
from the dye on Wed, ..these things show up/and last in my body a few days
later. I applied some muscle spasm cream with menthol, took 5 mg of valium
for my spasm and a pain pill; as well. Talked to my PCP last night and upped
my dosage of BP meds at his advice.
I am allergic to MSG (gives me bad migraines) and avoid it like the plague
and as far as throwing out the bad pills, like the muscle relaxers,
(Robaxin) and Xanax, (for panic attacks) which I'm also allergic to,
that's why I put them in the cat litter. I can't take aspirin nor ANY anti
inflammitories, like ibuprofin, because of stomach issues, wish could...
BTW, CatNipped is in my killfile, for good reason,..as are a few others. but
I can see the replies with my reader...
CN, for the last time, I don't need you to get snarky and tell me what to
do..you just take care of YOU and leave ME alone..got it? I've always sent
you purrs and prayers when you asked for them, but I get treated like crap
by you, you send me hate mails, and I refuse to deal with you any more. I
also have a torn rotator cuff as well, and that CAT Scan made it really hurt
too.. You had your own thread about all the stuff you qent thru.
This is the last time I'm responding to you or Bruce, who is also in my
killfile.
To the rest of you, thank you agaim for your kindness to me.
I really appreciate it, and you. so much.
Love
Kyla

Old June 19th 10, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^,,^=

Default Purrs for Kyla please

Thank you so much Baha, my reply to you didn't show uo on my reader so I
hope you got it.
Love
Kyla

"BfloPolska"
On Jun 17, 3:52 pm, "Granby"

Kyla has had a lot of tests and tody, had a bad reaction to the dye for
one
of the scans. She is having a really hard time right now so please some
purrs.

Aiyiyi, that can never be good! Brandy and China are purring for joy
and healing right now, and Philip for Kyla to keep her mind limber;
Stosh for her safety and Roxie and Sabrina for peace in the household.
Kyla is surrounded by The Most Glorious Sound of Purr.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old June 19th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^,,^=

I can't take aspirin, because it contra-indicates with
phenytoin (Epanutin). I seem to recall that grapefruit is also a food to
avoid with many drugs.

--
MatSav

I can't take aspitin or even ibuprofin for pain...stomach issues.
I have to take a lot of maintence drugs that have interactions, (Bp,
thyroid, cholesterol, etc) but am seeing a neurologist about them.
On my info sheets that Target gives me, yes it is best to avoid grapefruit
wihch doesn't agree with me anyway.

Love
Kyla

Old June 19th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

On Jun 19, 2:39*pm, "Kyla =^,,^=" wrote:
[...]

Another example of ill-advised orders to others regarding what they
can and can't
post. First, this person is obviously unaware that the very muscle
relaxers thrown
"out with the cat litter" are for keeping patients from having
"hitches" in shoulders
or elsewhere, and "charley-horses" also previously complained about.
Just how
clear can the term "muscle relaxer" be? What would that convey to
anyone who
can read? Muscle Relaxer. "Hitch" and "charley-chorse" are muscle
spasms.
Also puzzling is the allergy to MSG. I hate Asian food except Japanese
but isn't
Thai supposed to be full of that flavor enhancer? No major secret in
the news.
Catnipped as was I were alarmed by the postings noted by each of us.
If this person
is unable to read intent of health advice (again, bp 210/125) !) given
SIMPLY BECAUSE
IT WAS POSTED HERE for any and all to see.
Why the reference to "deal"? I made my post hoping you might consider
carefully
making your decisions THAT YOU POSTED HERE regarding your minute
detailed
health issues.
All we know is WHAT YOU POST HERE. i.e. if I post my car trouble here,
It would
not amaze me to receive advice about it. And my car trouble has as
much place here
as anyone's health issues. Or does it?
Old June 19th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 1:44 pm, "Joy" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

On Jun 19, 11:41 am, "CatNipped" wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message

Yes, those hard beds, and having to lie on your back all the time are
the
pits. I'm never comfortable on my back, so I really hated it.

I've had quite a few tests in the past few months, but nowhere near
what
you had. Now you know you had a reaction to the dye, you'll want to
make
sure any doctor you deal with knows that. You might want to do what
I've
done. On my computer, I wrote out a brief medical history, including
surgeries, hospitalizations, med warnings (Tetracyclines make me
terribly
sick to my stomach), and a line or two about close family members, as
well
as a list of my doctors, with phone numbers, and the medications I'm
taking. I update it whenever there's a change. I carry at least one
copy
with me all the time, and if I go to a new doctor, I print up a copy
take to him/her. Several doctors and nurses have said they appreciated
it, and when I fainted at the post office and the EMTs were called,
they
said having that made their job so much easier.

--
Joy

I do the exact same things - between the RSD and the Malignant
Hyperthermia,
having that could save my life. Also agree with you about tests. I'm
down
to 98 pounds and they're desperately trying to find a reason for the
anorexia (I'm eating like a horse).

OK, I knew it was coming (ever since the "regional edema") earlier in
the
year. The doctors (plural) got the results of all the tests I've just
taken - Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Barium Enema 92, one failed), Abdominal
Ultrasound, Nerve Conduction Test, Cat Scans (plural), Myleogram (dye
injected into the spine and I too am allergic to the dye), MRIs
(plural),
56
(count 'em), 56 blood tests. And they all came back extremely good -
almost
perfect, especially for a woman my age. Great news, huh? No, just
confirmation that this is the latest symptom to confirm stage three RSD
(along with the regional edema, hair loss, skin mottling and, of course,
*PAIN*). Since there is nothing wrong mechanically, there is nothing
they
can do to treat it (suggested treatment is more pain killers until I
finally
die, but *my* doctors won't do that, they're afraid I'll become an
addict
(ROTFLMAO)). All I have left to look forward to is Stage 4 RSD which I
*DON'T* want to think about.

The surgery 5 weeks ago didn't help...

A lot of this was told to me by Ben since they were pretty much keeping
me
in a dozing / semi-dozed state of mind to stave off the pain and shock
of
surgery that was much more involved than a minor arthroscopy.

Ben was there when the doctor told me about the extent of my injuries
right
after the surgery (SOOOOO much worse than what the MRI showed - the MRI
showed a small tear underneath the rotator cuff caused by a bone that
had
atrophied (because of the RSD) into the shape of an arrowhead) so some
of
this is second-(third?)-hand information.

The rotator cuff, instead of having a small tear on the bottom side
where
the bone was scraping into it, according to the MRI, was, in actuality,
split almost in two. It was being held there by only a very tenuous
patch
of
tissue at the upper, inside corner. The doctor tells me that you can see
how
badly damaged it was (showing me his copy of the first picture on the
pagehttp://www.possibleplaces.com/surg/) - but I have no idea what I'm
looking
at here.

As soon as the surgeon saw the amount of damage, he fixed what he could
from
the inside, but then he stopped the arthroscopy and switched to open
surgery, which was a good thing because then he was able to see even
more
damage than he was aware
of.

First, my bicep tendon was in shreds, held on to the rotator cuff,
literally, by a thread. There was no way he could save it - the second
picture here is of what was left of my bicep
tendonhttp://www.possibleplaces.com/surg/-all those white strings you
see should have been just one large tendon. So he had to detach the
tendon
and allow my biceps muscle to fall, uselessly down into my upper arm.

The he had to screw a corkscrew "anchor" into my shoulder bone and sew
together a patchwork quilt by sewing through the remaining 4 tendons and
wrapping the ends of the thread around the anchor.

So, instead of a simple arthroscopy to shave off a piece of bone, it
turned
into major surgery with all of the above and also removing the ends of
two
bones. Instead of 1 week away from work it ended up being 10 weeks+ out
of
work. The first six weeks out of surgery I am unable to move my right
arm
AT ALL. I can only do "passive range of motion" PT exercise (just sort
of
hanging my arm down and using my whole body to swing it around in
circles
keep the shoulder from freezing up. I still have a little over a week of
no
use of my right arm, then I'll have 2 to 4 weeks of slowly progressing
strengthening exercising, then I'll have 8 to 10 weeks of learning how
use my arm again without a biceps muscle.

And recovering from that is when I had to go through all of those
gastric
tests.

So now I'm out of work for 10 weeks (at 2/3 pay with Ben fixin' to be
laid
off again) - at *the WORST* of times during this merger when they're
figuring out who to keep and where to put them when the two offices
physically merge.

Gads, didn't mean to go on like this, but the complaints about testing
seem
to bring out medical tales from everyone - but thank God that there
*ARE*
tests like this now-a-days - a hundred years ago a lot of use would have
been dead long ago!

Hugs,

A hundred years ago? Maybe even 20 years ago! I am likewise grateful
for advances in medical testing. I wouldn't be here today without it.
I am
grateful that I have semi-decent insurance, so that it is available to
me.
You have to try to find the silver lining somewhere.
I've had my chest sawed open with a power saw, and was up and
walking two days later, and home three days after that. Is that a
miracle or what?
It's all relative. I have a ridiculously low pain threshhold; either
that or
I am just a crybaby. But most medical testing doesn't bother me
*except*
for angiograms and I hate those so bad I almost need Ativan to *say*
the word "cath lab".
Ultrasounds don't faze me. Drug-induced stress tests creep me out.
Cat scans with contrast dye don't bother me except I hate the tinny
taste in my mouth and my shoulder always burns. But a thalium scan,
where the contrast stuff is actually radioactive, is a walk in the
park
for me, no discomfort at all. I'd rather have all
three than have dental work done. That's where I'm a terrible crybaby.
Back to the silver lining.... Hospital staff and sonographers
love us 98-pounders. I'm sure there's more.
I'll have to think on it. :-)
I always thought the most awful medical procedure ever would be a
bone marrow transplant. Of course I have never had it done, and don't
really know anyone who has. But for some reason, it just sounds
horrible to me.

Sherry

***

It sounds horrible to me, too. I've heard it's terribly painful. However,
what you've had sounds awful too. Even though my aches and pains increase
as I age, I realize that I am so much better off than so many people, I'm
embarrassed to have complained about anything.

Hugs, purrs and prayers,

Joy- Hide quoted text -

Bypass surgery is really not that bad. IMO, any kind of gut surgery
is
far worse. Having the femeral arteries in my legs/groin replaced was
way worse. IMO, they can't control pain as well, and
since *everything* goes to sleep, they can't get it back
functioning normally.
I'd way rather have another bypass than any kind of gut surgery.
Carotid (neck artery) surgery is a walk in the park, in case anybody
here ever faces that. Not even as bad as a root canal, IMO.

Sherry

***

I've been very fortunate in my 74 years. The worst surgery I've ever had
was a laparoscopic gall bladder removal. The four little scars have pretty
much disappeared, and they caused relatively little pain while they were
healing. I had more pain from the gallstones before the surgery. OTOH,
about 20 years before I had that surgery, my husband (RB) had his gall
bladder out the old-fashioned way. He was a big man, and I swear his scar
was a foot long. He also developed an infection as a result of the surgery.
By comparison, mine was a piece of cake.

Joy

Old June 19th 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Sherry" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 11:41 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

of a
[...]

circles to
[...]

Oh please don't worry about that. Each person has his/her own pain to
deal with, and when it's your pain it *is* the most awful thing in the
world because that's all you know. Noody can know another's pain we can
only deal with what we know. If you're hurt, you're allowed to cry and
tell friends about it - that's what we're here for. This is not a contest
of who hurts the worse or who deserves the most pity, this is a place to
share hurt among many friends, thereby reducing it, and to share joy among
many friends thereby increasing it (apologies to Spider Robison for
screwing up that quote so badly)! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

That's a lovely attitude. I agree. I also guess you must be a fellow
Spider Robinson fan.

Joy

purrs for kyla Stormmee Cat anecdotes 128 December 9th 09 06:08 PM
Ping Kyla Granby Cat community 9 September 26th 08 01:28 PM
Kyla John Ross Mc Master Cat community 1 August 22nd 08 07:05 PM
New Email For Kyla OT Kyla =^..^= Cat anecdotes 0 March 12th 08 01:47 AM
Kyla Granby Cat anecdotes 4 February 4th 08 11:08 PM