Crevettes?

Old June 19th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

Default Crevettes?

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:42:41 -0400, Magic Mood Jeep

What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.

Thanks to BP Petroleum, shrimp is getting rather rare and expensive in
the USA....

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100619-0, 06/19/2010
Tested on: 6/19/2010 1:02:14 PM

Old June 19th 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

Nah, they are far too big.
Shrimps are very small (language difference, USA call prawns shrimp I
think) but if they are prawns, they would call them that. These are some
sort of massive prawn-type thingie.
Tweed

In the US we call them shrimp, but the biggest ones are only a little over 2
inches (about 5 cm) long. I was delighted with the huge prawns served in
Australia. I remember asking an Aussie waitress about a prawn dish listed
on the menu. She said, "Oh, those are just the small ones," holding her
thumb and forefinger apart to show the size of what we call jumbo shrimp.
We also have tiny ones, about 3/4 inches (maybe 2 cm) long, which are called
"cocktail shrimp".

I'm looking forward to having some of those huge prawns in a couple of
months.

Joy

Are you heading back to Australia? Man, I wanna go there SO MUCH.

Pam S.
Old June 19th 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
Joy wrote:
[...]

Yes, I am. I leave on August 30 for three weeks. I'll be spending some
time in Alice Springs, where I'll hear a John Williamson concert (He's a big
Aussie singer), in Adelaide, where I'll visit a friend, and in Cairns, where
I'll see the Great Barrier Reef, among other things. I might even get
another chance to hold a koala.

Save your pennies. It's definitely worth going!

After my first trip, I was sure I couldn't afford another one, but I wanted
to go so badly I set up a large can in the kitchen. Every few days I'd put
all the change from my purse into that can. If I wanted a hamburger, or to
see a movie, I'd think about it, then put what I would have paid for the
burger or the movie into the can. Every so often, I'd go to the bank and
get the little paper thingies to roll up the coins, then deposit what was in
the can in a special savings account.

Joy

Old June 19th 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

Joy wrote:
[...]

I am sure I am not the only one who envies you so much.
One word of caution: careful with that koala, adorable and
lacking malice or any kind, but they have very sharp claws
(at least the one I held did).
Old June 19th 10, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the French word for shrimp...

Which is the USAian word for "prawns"
Old June 19th 10, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

Nah, they are far too big.
Shrimps are very small (language difference, USA call prawns shrimp I think)
but if they are prawns, they would call them that. These are some sort of
massive prawn-type thingie.
Tweed

In the U.S., they're ALL called "shrimp". (We simply announce their size
on the package: "salad shrimp" "large shrimp" "jumbo shrimp". etc.)

Old June 19th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MLB wrote:

Old saying: "A rose by any other name would smell the same". MLB

Shakespeare, actually - from Romeo and Juliet. Juliet's line, I think:
"Romeo - wherefore art thou Romeo? That which we call a rose by any
other name would smell as sweet."
Old June 19th 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

Nah, they are far too big.
Shrimps are very small (language difference, USA call prawns shrimp I
think) but if they are prawns, they would call them that. These are some
sort of massive prawn-type thingie.
Tweed

Old saying: "A rose by any other name would smell the same". MLB

I now have it on good authority from my food group (which is where I should
have sent this post in the first place) that crevettes are not shrimps or
prawns, but freshwater crayfish.
I told you they were too big to be prawns ;-)
Tweed

I thought crayfish (aka "crawdads") were small!

Old June 19th 10, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Joy wrote:
[...]

***

Yes, the ones I held on previous trips did too, but they didn't use them on
me.

Joy

Old June 20th 10, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

MLB wrote:

Old saying: "A rose by any other name would smell the same". MLB

Shakespeare, actually - from Romeo and Juliet. Juliet's line, I think:
"Romeo - wherefore art thou Romeo? That which we call a rose by any
other name would smell as sweet."

I remembered the "sweet" after I hit the "send" key -- oh well! I love
shrimp but avoid them because they make me itch. TuTu has also refused
to even taste one the last time I gave in and bought some. As usual,
they still made me itch, Aren't allergies fun? MLB